Juniors teams that are linked with the old firm?

edinabear

5 hours ago, Marten said:

When I go out I often wear my Lochee United scarf, which due to the colours is sometimes mistaken for a Rangers one. Especially in Lochee there is not much love lost for Rangers and neither at Lochee United. When I see shirts of SPFL teams at Lochee United games it's mainly both Dundee teams and occasionally I see a kid wearing a Celtic top. Never seen a Rangers one.

I can't wear my Linlithgow Rose scarf for fear of being considered a Jambo. And I've got a Glasgow City scarf, but that's Dundee Utd. For a while Rangers fans were into red and black, so even my Edinburgh Rugby scarf was out.

1374614489_0.jpg                                                                                                                Not a link to the OF but a reference to I suppose Talbot's history.  Lord Richard Talbot who's ancestor was "Fighting Richard Talbot" who was in charge of the Irish Militia fighting for James at the Battle of the Boyne. He is the man who Talbot are named after and can be found in this link https://dailyscribbling.com/the-secret-life-of-irish-castles/malahide-castle-the-tale-of-the-talbots/

Edited by Blackie Gold

1 hour ago, Blackie Gold said:

1374614489_0.jpg                                                                                                                Not a link to the OF but a reference to I suppose Talbot's history.  Lord Richard Talbot ancestor to "Fighting Richard Talbot" who was in charge of the Irish Militia fighting for James at the Battle of the Boyne. He is the man who Talbot are named after and can be found in this link https://dailyscribbling.com/the-secret-life-of-irish-castles/malahide-castle-the-tale-of-the-talbots/

Descendant surely, not ancestor.

On a tangent: Kenny Dalglish was on loan to Cumbernauld United and scored 37 goals
Must be loads of Old Firm players came through the juniors ...
Bobby Russell was signed by Rangers direct from Shettleston for £200 in 1977.

34 minutes ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, razamanaz said:
On a tangent: Kenny Dalglish was on loan to Cumbernauld United and scored 37 goals

Another Ex Cumbernauld player

Theres a lot of teams even in senior football who basically just exist because folks can’t afford a trip to Celtic Park or the place Rangers used to play. That said theres only really been a few places in junior football where things have felt a bit ‘rangersy’ or ‘celticy’ its quite funny because i’ve been called an orangji b*****d and a ‘feenyun’ b*****d within weeks of each other. The b*****d bit i agree with.

3 hours ago, glensmad said:
4 hours ago, razamanaz said:

Still waiting on it 😂

Needless to say the Old Firm, as it was called, doesn't exist anymore after the demise of the original Rangers club who died in 2012...  but enough of that.

I was born in Maryhill many decades ago. I was too young to go to Celtic Park, my parents deemed it too mental because of the gang fights and the general madness that existed during the sixties at Paradise at that time. But my dad would sometimes take me and my elder brother to see Maryhill Harp at Kelvinvale Park , a junior club that died a sad death in 1967, of all years. Later on I moved to the Drum, and my parents still deemed me too young to go see Celtic, for the same reasons, so I would head down to Clydebank and watch the Bankies with ma pals (a mixture of Celtic fans and pre-sevco Rangers fans, lol)  not long after they joined the Scottish League.

The Harp gave Celtic 26 players throughout their short history (1923-67), including loans such as the famous Peter Scarff. Other Celtic players also played for the Harp, including Frank Haffey and of course Bertie Auld who was born in Maryhill. 26 players went to Celtic in total, 4 players to Partick Thistle, 25 players to thirteen other Scottish clubs, and 6 players to six English clubs, including the likes of Everton.

So given the amount of players that actually went to, or were loaned from, Celtic, I would say, that Maryhill Harp had quite a close relationship with the Hoops. I was only six and a half when the Harp were forced out of existence by the old Glasgow Corporation, who issued them with a CPO so they could build houses on their land. My memories are obviously vague but I do remember going to see them, and my dad in later years used to tell me all about them and the Celtic players that played for them.

Edited by The Speaking Pariah

7 minutes ago, The Speaking Pariah said:

Needless to say the Old Firm, as it was called, doesn't exist anymore after the demise of the original Rangers club who died in 2012...  but enough of that.

I was born in Maryhill many decades ago. I was too young to go to Celtic Park, my parents deemed it too mental because of the gang fights and the general madness that existed during the sixties at Paradise at that time. But my dad would sometimes take me and my elder brother to see Maryhill Harp at Kelvinvale Park , a junior club that died a sad death in 1967, of all years. Later on I moved to the Drum, and my parents still deemed me too young to go see Celtic, for the same reasons, so I would head down to Clydebank and watch the Bankies with ma pals (a mixture of Celtic fans and pre-sevco Rangers fans, lol)  not long after they joined the Scottish League.

The Harp gave Celtic 26 players throughout their short history (1923-67), including loans such as the famous Peter Scarff. Other Celtic players also played for the Harp, including Frank Haffey and of course Bertie Auld who was born in Maryhill. 26 palyers went to Celtic in total, 4 players to Partick Thistle, 25 players to thirteen other Scottish clubs, and 6 players to six English clubs, including the likes of Everton.

So given the amount of players that actually went to, or were loaned from, Celtic, I would say, that Maryhill Harp had quite a close relationship with the Hoops. I was only six and a half when the Harp were forced out of existence by the old Glasgow Corporation, who issued them with a CPO so they could build houses on their land. My memories are obviously vague but I do remember going to see them, and my dad in later years used to tell me all about them and the Celtic players that played for them.

Of course, we'll never know how many may have gone to Rangers, because they refused to sign Catholics at that time. 

Maybe we should ask Rangers' new head of communications how he feels about sectarian organisations. 

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Of course, we'll never know how many may have gone to Rangers, because they refused to sign Catholics at that time. 

Maybe we should ask Rangers' new head of communications how he feels about sectarian organisations. 

Possibly quite a few could've went to Rangers, Gordon, because not every player at the Harp was Catholic. Bertie Auld wasn't and Frank Haffey, who was born within a few yards of Ibrox, used to go and watch Rangers quite a lot when he was young. But as for David Graham... Sevco are heading into the shadowlands with that appointment.

I didn't think it could get any worse than that bam Jabba... but there ye go.

17 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

1374614489_0.jpg                                                                                                                Not a link to the OF but a reference to I suppose Talbot's history.  Lord Richard Talbot who's ancestor was "Fighting Richard Talbot" who was in charge of the Irish Militia fighting for James at the Battle of the Boyne. He is the man who Talbot are named after and can be found in this link https://dailyscribbling.com/the-secret-life-of-irish-castles/malahide-castle-the-tale-of-the-talbots/

Thanks for posting that, Blackie. I often wondered why Auchinleck were called Talbot. A really interesting article, and a little bit of history I was unaware of.

Guest Moomintroll
MISSUS BUNFIELD.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 08:19, Blackie Gold said:

" MAD DICK " was his nickname

Edited by larkyforever