Your ideal football day out

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why yes, because there are clearly only two ways to attend football:

Either in the fashion outlined above, or when steaming drunk.

Good point.

^^^ anorak found 

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

There is no denying that an all day session based around the football can be tremendous. Ideally involving good friends, a carry out on the train to the game, a decent pub before and after, then carry out for the train home. And then out in the pubs when you get back. I don't get to do that very often, but it is braw when it happens. The day after not so much. 

But to keep Monkey Tennis happy, there are other ways to enjoy it. I live a fair distance from Alloa and don't get to too many games now. Think I savour it more these days because of that. Often travel alone. Getting the train with a really good book, a decent podcast and maybe WSC or something, all the time buzzing for the afternoon ahead. Meet my Dad in Alloa for a bit of lunch and a pint and catch up, get to the Recs to see the Wasps, another quick pint with the old man after, then more reading and wee doze on the train home. This is just as enjoyable as the all day session in its own way. 

Really, any Saturday watching Alloa between 3 and 5 is pretty ideal for me. 

Maybe this is unique to me but the vast majority of football action happens so quickly and is obscured by so many bodies that one has to write it off anyway. In 90 minutes you'll typically only remember a handful of moments clearly regardless of your blood alcohol level. On the other hand, alcohol's effects on one's emotions and inhibitions allow one to more strongly live through the bits that one remembers clearly.

With most clubs either producing or having independent producers of high-quality highlights clips on YouTube even at this level where games are rarely televised, one can always spend the following day in sober analysis of the game's big points.

Also anyone whose primary weekend highlight isn't day drinking belongs on a list.

Edited by Thumper