Time to announce 2019/2020 season is over?

TheLad

Just looking to see opinions on whether youth football in Scotland, under 13s to under 19s, should just be announced as over for the season?

It's not the Premier League. There is no financial implications. Just sack it and start back again in August.

The lads I coach have had a cracking season and were looking likely to go up a division but giving the severity of this virus Id say just write it off and hope we are out the woods for August. Feel sorry for those in later stages of the Scottish as they may never get to play in these games again.

The lads I coach have had a cracking season and were looking likely to go up a division but giving the severity of this virus Id say just write it off and hope we are out the woods for August. Feel sorry for those in later stages of the Scottish as they may never get to play in these games again.
Haddington? Or Dunbar?

• 2 weeks later...

Haddington Mate, boys have been fantastic so far. We have a squad of over 25 which is unbelievable, got players coming along every week. Hoping to start another team season.
Fair play kn keeping 25 happy at that age. Might be a while before you get them on the pitch now

Fair play kn keeping 25 happy at that age. Might be a while before you get them on the pitch now

Yeah we were advised that there will be no football until 8th of June at the earliest. To be honest I’m all about keeping the kids playing for as long as possible. We’ve got a great bunch of kids and the parents are very helpful. When we first started we set our principles of having player lead games, no coaching from sidelines etc from parents and it’s been very successful, also allows the lads to play with no pressure.

What I’d give to be back out coaching tho as this lockdown is going to make me stir crazy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
https://www.keepscotlandactive.co.uk/scottish-youth-fa-confirms-season-2019-20-outcomes

Season is done. Individual leagues to decide what to do regarding league placings. Possibility of finishing off cup competitions if next season can start early enough.
Do you think any leagues will null and void their seasons, or take the approach of working out a winner?
Cant see how they can null and void leagues yet still continue with cups

Do you think any leagues will null and void their seasons, or take the approach of working out a winner?
Cant see how they can null and void leagues yet still continue with cups
I would have thought they would null and void tbh. Average points etc wouldn't be as fair at youth level where teams can change so much week to week depending on availability. A team could totally tank in the league after losing a few players.

Plus, they don't have the same need to declare a winner as the seniors do.

Some leagues might declare clear winners but I would expect plenty to just go down the null and void route.

20 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

They have to be declared as null and void, the average points in a tight league wouldn’t be fair as you may of had an easier first half plus the difference in league games played could be extremely high.

A quick look at the leagues in NE Scotland indicates youth league tables are a lot more 'random' than in higher level football. There's quite a discrepancy in the number of games played and instances where teams have completed more fixtures against obviously weaker opponents but played less against stronger teams. There's too many potential arguments if an average points system was applied. Null and void looks the only option to me.

A quick look at the leagues in NE Scotland indicates youth league tables are a lot more 'random' than in higher level football. There's quite a discrepancy in the number of games played and instances where teams have completed more fixtures against obviously weaker opponents but played less against stronger teams. There's too many potential arguments if an average points system was applied. Null and void looks the only option to me.

100% agree, those in the later stages on the Scottish I feel sorry for and I’d suggest they try and play those as these kids may never get that chance again!! With social distancing still taking place after lockdown is over potentially until the end of the year I’d be more concerned about next season....

If that is the case, many hundreds of young players will be lost to the game.

Not much they can do about it but a massive impact.

Rod Petrie suggesting on Sportsound that we may not see a return for grassroots football til 2021.

Today, the Scottish FA president Rod Petrie spoke to BBC Scotland’s Tom English regarding the prospects of football returning at all levels across Scotland. Below are his comments specifically in relation to grassroots football:

“If you look at the football pyramid – when is grassroots football going to be up and running? The SFA has a responsibility for that, too. You look at the lack of resource they have. The initial discussions with the grassroots is that, ‘Well, we can’t see ourselves playing football until all restrictions are lifted by government’. There may be no football at grassroots level until the pandemic is over. That could be 2021. It could be more than that. Parts of football need to be prepared for the fact that there is no quick fix, that the cost of implementing the protection that’s needed before the pandemic is over might be too expensive.”

I'm coaching a 2011s team and want to do something to prepare for starting back, but dont know where to start.

So many questions and unknowns about facilities, coaches, games and players it doesn't seem worth trying to do anything just now.

One thing is for sure, if the efl and spfl cant get teams training and put closed door games on with all the tools at their disposal, we wont be doing anything. That's probably a good marker.