Ways things will change due to COVID-19

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

No I think some of that is fair, I just wonder how different it would really be just now, given the many multiples of any borrowing mentioned by Labour that the Tories have just done.

I've actually found it reassuring that the Tories have gone full Keynsian. Sunak is a Thatcherite so it was a surprise when the wage support went beyond even Germany. A failure to spend heavily now would cause unemployment on a 1920s scale. 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I've actually found it reassuring that the Tories have gone full Keynsian. Sunak is a Thatcherite so it was a surprise when the wage support went beyond even Germany. A failure to spend heavily now would cause unemployment on a 1920s scale. 

Right action, wrong reasons

A failure to spend heavily now would cause electoral defeat on a 1997 scale

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously this isn't on the scale of the societal changes that we could see as a result of changes from the virus outbreak but given the focus on parks and green spaces I hope that people start taking better care of them.  I've taken my son to several parks in the last few weeks and the amount of dog shit, broken glass and general litter is shocking.  I was out with him yesterday and I have to basically run behind him when he's moving about.  I appreciate that some waste management has been stopped due to the virus but it's not the council who aren't clearing up after their pets or smashing bottles on paths.  Even relatively new parks, like Saughton Park in Edinburgh, have these problems.  I was with my son there in the childrens playpark a few weeks ago and there was a smashed up knife as well as bits of broken glass strewn around.  

Yours,

Outraged of Tunbridge Wells.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Obviously this isn't on the scale of the societal changes that we could see as a result of changes from the virus outbreak but given the focus on parks and green spaces I hope that people start taking better care of them.  I've taken my son to several parks in the last few weeks and the amount of dog shit, broken glass and general litter is shocking.  I was out with him yesterday and I have to basically run behind him when he's moving about.  I appreciate that some waste management has been stopped due to the virus but it's not the council who aren't clearing up after their pets or smashing bottles on paths.  Even relatively new parks, like Saughton Park in Edinburgh, have these problems.  I was with my son there in the childrens playpark a few weeks ago and there was a smashed up knife as well as bits of broken glass strewn around.  

Yours,

Outraged of Tunbridge Wells.

Far less people cleaning up after their dogs than in the past where I live.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Far less people cleaning up after their dogs than in the past where I live.

Would say the same around my way. Maybe it's people who normally have a dog walker or don't normally leave the house/garden much but there's a very recognisable new breed of individual who is not your normal walker/runner/dog person. 

Would say the same around my way. Maybe it's people who normally have a dog walker or don't normally leave the house/garden much but there's a very recognisable new breed of individual who is not your normal walker/runner/dog person. 

Completely agree, but I wonder if it’s absolute wankers who only pick it up normally in case someone sees them not picking it up, less people around now....

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

Completely agree, but I wonder if it’s absolute wankers who only pick it up normally in case someone sees them not picking it up, less people around now....

Yeah - maybe it's the strange times we're in that people are not giving a toss? 

Heard on the radio yesterday that electronic goods amongst other things are either already in storage or on container ships in the middle of the sea as companies have long since had their orders in for units they aren't now selling. The consequence of this being that they will be wildly overstocked and paying for extra capacity so we can expect lots of discounts at the checkout as they try and clear their feet when this is over. The downside being that the companies will be a bit wary about how much stock they order going forward so discounts, special offers and the such will be rarer than hens teeth and things will generally get a bit more expensive. 

This may change as confidence grows and they slip back into their old ways, but it may not, this may just be the new normal.