Ways things will change due to COVID-19

Some companies that remained open might then go bust as they get sued to f**k by some employees, especially if that employee got the illness at work or travelling to/from work.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who things that people will learn of the need to make real changes to our society from this appalling situation only need to look at this eight o’clock clapping pish.

Playing along with the tokenism then in a few years voting for people who support private healthcare over the NHS.

I watched this on the TV news ( Ch4 ).  

Same programme shows that the government declined/made no response to the EU offer to pool procurement of ventilators.  

Same programme also showed how rapid, mass testing in South Korea was the basis of the incredibly low death toll there.

Same programme also noted that Donald Trump several days ago phoned South Korea asking for assistance in procurement of testers.  No call from Britain.

Instead we have nurses, doctors, medical staff of all descriptions... in tears, begging for proper testing, and decent protective equipment.

Instead we have mass happy clapping out on the streets.  An absolute utter *ucking disgrace.  Gross incompetence.

Edited by beefybake

Just now, beefybake said:

I watched this on the TV news ( Ch4 ).  

Same programme shows that the government declined/made no response to the EU offer to pool procurement of ventilators.  

Same programme also showed how rapid, mass resting in South Korea was the basis of the incredibly low death toll there.

Same programme also noted that Donald Trump several days ago phoned South Korea asking for assistance in procurement of testers.  No call from Britain.

Instead we have nurses, doctors, medical staff of all descriptions... in tears, begging for proper testing, and decent protective equipment.

Instead we have mass happy clapping out on the streets.  An absolute utter *ucking disgrace.  Gross incompetence.

Yeah apparently we “missed the deadline” to be part of EU ventilator procurement.

None of the opposition want to make political capital of this crisis but once it is over the people who have caused these problems must be held accountable.

9 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Yeah, it will to parents, but I don't think they're the audience for this.

Parents need to give their kids' teachers a break just now. Very few teachers are trained in distance education and they're being asked to suddenly make a 100% transition to it with at most a few hours' workplace preparation. It's really not a fair situation in which to judge the teachers or the method. The resources aren't there for it just now, teachers of school-aged kids have their hands tied behind their back...

For school kids it's definitely not as far down the track. I'd ask parents of schoolkids to be kind to the teachers just now, they've been properly chucked in at the deep end.

Woah, are you a parent? Because from my position it's 100% the other way round - teachers need to give the parents a break. Their expectations are completely unrealistic.

My 15 year old has never had so many demands from teachers, all at the same time, for work to be completed by tomorrow, potentially to make up their Nat 5s (and in one case, Higher). The pressure they've been put under is ludicrous. They're expected to register on MS Teams at the start of every period. Do they really think every kid has access to a laptop all day, all to themselves, not competing with parents having to work from home or with their siblings? And the tasks they're being asked to do are mostly pointless, especially when the SQA hasn't said anything yet (and that's another problem - it's been over a week and it's omerta over there).

I'm on a WhatsApp group with the parents of my kid's P6 class, and every one of them thinks the school is giving out far, far too much work and trying far too hard to replicate normal school days. We're effectively being expected to homeschool with no skills while holding down a full-time job over a phone and laptop. We're not all home baking cookies.

Teachers and schools need to calm TF down and set massively less work, at least until things settle down. They need to talk some time to think about what's necessary, what's achievable, what's useful. And they badly need to prioritise wellbeing over learning. 

Folk are saying the NHS clap was hollow because they all vote Tory. I can see that, but also, at the general election I thought the NHS was screwed either way - by Labour through economic incompetence, or by the Tories through dogma. In England there was no option to help it.

Guest JTS98
3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Woah, are you a parent? Because from my position it's 100% the other way round - teachers need to give the parents a break. Their expectations are completely unrealistic.

My 15 year old has never had so many demands from teachers, all at the same time, for work to be completed by tomorrow, potentially to make up their Nat 5s (and in one case, Higher). The pressure they've been put under is ludicrous. They're . They need to talk some time to think about what's necessary, what's achievable, what's useful. And they badly need to prioritise wellbeing over learning. 

I don't doubt that's all true and I understand how it looks. But those things are not going to be coming from the teacher.

Remember, the teachers have their own life situations and their own non-work stress at the moment too. This is coming from above and below them. Above in the sense that the management - who don't deal with the real-life consequences - will be demanding this level of box-ticking from them, but also because if they don't provide an avalanche of work for kids to do, some parents will kick off and claim their kid has been abandoned.

The teachers can't win. It's important to remember that the teacher is just a person trying to avoid getting into bother from their work. Pretty much all the teachers I know are stressed out their tits at suddenly having to do something they're not really trained or prepared for at a time when life is pretty difficult.

Give them a break.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

What do you mean when you say economic incompetence, what do you think they would have done?

I think they would have acted in a way that matched the Britain they want to live in, rather than Britain as it really is. It's a lot like how I would like it to be too, but it's not going to happen and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Most people are fairly venal when given the opportunity to be and when they have enough money they pay smart people to protect it. I think Corbyn's Labour are delusional, judgmental, dogmatic and uncompromising, like their followers who think that the reason they lost is that they were undermined by moderate traitors. I think the overall tax take would have fallen and it would have meant less for public services or more borrowing.

Maybe that's too harsh and I'm wrong. Maybe they'd have gone back to the 6% annual growth managed by Blair, who they despise - but if they had, I think it would have come at a cost elsewhere, because I don't think an economy managed by them would have been able to afford it. They just don't care enough about supporting businesses to make profits, from which most taxes are derived.

I also never thought he had a chance of winning anyway as he is so bad at politics.

But this is all gut instinct stuff, so who knows.

35 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I don't doubt that's all true and I understand how it looks. But those things are not going to be coming from the teacher.

Remember, the teachers have their own life situations and their own non-work stress at the moment too. This is coming from above and below them. Above in the sense that the management - who don't deal with the real-life consequences - will be demanding this level of box-ticking from them, but also because if they don't provide an avalanche of work for kids to do, some parents will kick off and claim their kid has been abandoned.

The teachers can't win. It's important to remember that the teacher is just a person trying to avoid getting into bother from their work. Pretty much all the teachers I know are stressed out their tits at suddenly having to do something they're not really trained or prepared for at a time when life is pretty difficult.

Give them a break.

I know, I'm not meaning classroom teachers so much as the senior leadership teams. It might be coming from above them but I don't think so.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

I know, I'm not meaning classroom teachers so much as the senior leadership teams. It might be coming from above them but I don't think so.

You're both right.

Teachers have been plunged into something difficult and uncharted.  It's the relative suddenness which means that the response is not well coordinated or necessarily realistic.

I think a lot of teachers will absolutely fear the idea that parents will be complaining if there's a perception that no work is being provided, prompting them to go the other way, and aim for volume.  Plenty teachers are guilty of this at the best of times.  Another problem is that teachers are getting bombarded with suggestions as to what can be done, and an arms race of sorts is created between colleagues.

A lot of secondary teachers have never been good at recognising that kids also study subjects other than their own, with competing demands.  That has been exacerbated by the SQA situation which has sparked a frenzied attempt to gather evidence to ensure that this year's unusually weighty estimate grades, haven't too flimsy a basis.  

That idea of kids logging in at the start time of each regular lesson is absurd, impractical and presumably the work of a detached Senior Management Team.  I think though that in most cases, it will be individual teachers making decisions about volumes of work and deadlines.

In short, yes, a lot of teachers will need to calm down and not take off into this marathon at a full Sprint.  Some recognition of the reasons behind them doing so, might not hurt either though.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

No I think some of that is fair, I just wonder how different it would really be just now, given the many multiples of any borrowing mentioned by Labour that the Tories have just done.

I think the media would be going into hysterics if Labour were in power and doing what the government is doing re wage and business support money wise.

36 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think the media would be going into hysterics if Labour were in power and doing what the government is doing re wage and business support money wise.

Aye and Tory MPs would not be supporting a Labour government  in the way that Labour MPs are supporting this one.

It isn't a change but I think that this will show a big disconnect (again) between the angry online misanthropes and normal people.  I think the response to the clapping for the NHS workers is a good example, most normal people think it's a nice thing to do, the way some of the usual suspects react you'd think that people were burning crosses in the street at 8pm. 

29 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Clapping is a nice thing but the reaction on social media of people competing to see who did or heard it the most isn't.

That's totally missing the point, boasting about it.

People on social media missing the point?  Surely not!