Ways things will change due to COVID-19

Someone mentioned on my work's morning call that this might move big companies to move away from having large offices to more flexible working.  We are very flexible and working from home is encouraged anyway, I think that could be accelerated.  

As someone mentioned above, countries that were hit by SARS appear to have dealt with this issue better and perhaps we could see more use of masks, social enforcement of handwashing and isolatation if people are sick following this.  

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup. I'm actually more productive working at home just now. In the office I often have to stretch out tasks so that it looks like I'm always doing something. At home I get things done much quicker as there's no one there to look over my shoulder meaning I don't need to stretch things out. 

Office work in general is usually unproductive for that reason. I've seen it across many offices and many colleagues.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

They might realise they don't need such a big workforce, either.

Exactly this. What DA is describing is folk being workshy or the work expending far more money than needs be. 

I'd be careful what you wish for. 

*I do note that this topic was started purely so DA could say "we don't need paper money anymore!" once again*

;)

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think global travel will reduce for the next few years, possibly longer than that.  That will have a huge impact on tourism and places that depend on it.  The impact of this could vary - perhaps places like Edinburgh and the Highlands will be more attractive to domestic tourists but I'm not sure that'll replace the foreign visitor market.

I'm planning on an overseas holiday as soon as the airlines are back and it seems safe to do so.

Someone mentioned on my work's morning call that this might move big companies to move away from having large offices to more flexible working.  We are very flexible and working from home is encouraged anyway, I think that could be accelerated.  
As someone mentioned above, countries that were hit by SARS appear to have dealt with this issue better and perhaps we could see more use of masks, social enforcement of handwashing and isolatation if people are sick following this.  
Some companies have already been heading that way but this will certainly accelerate it. Company I work for has 25% working from home and recently downsized from a full building in Glasgow to just renting one floor in a new build.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Correct. Too many halfwits who believe that working from home = not being productive.

I totally agree.  They also believe punctuality is the best indicator of performance.  Somebody who is never late is regarded as the hardest working even if nobody has a clue what work they actually do.

Edited by Fullerene

13 minutes ago, Dele said:

Exactly this. What DA is describing is folk being workshy or the work expending far more money than needs be. 

I'd be careful what you wish for. 

*I do note that this topic was started purely so DA could say "we don't need paper money anymore!" once again*

;)

Nah I wasn't describing anyone being 'workshy'. Rather I was saying that folk often need to stretch tasks out or they'd be sitting there with nothing to do which would be quickly noticed in an office.

Also you just need to accept that paper cash is on the way out. I'll take any spare off your hands for disposal...

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

never taking a sick day too. I wonder if that'll change after this.

Also the idea that driving counts as work but taking public transport is not.  If a business trip is unpleasant with traffic jams and bad weather then great.  If it is sunny with nice scenery then that is a skive

Global travel taking time to recover is I think a given, but I can see a lot more restrictions being put in place in terms of visas and entry requirements for a few years as well as countries take precautions to stop imported cases. 

If there are future outbreaks of a particular disease I also think there will be a much quicker reaction from authorities to either advise against travel to/from that country or simply ban it outright. 

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

This is an excellent opportunity for those who are getting paid but are at home, to learn a new skill or work on creating their own bit of self employed work.

I think we'll therefore see an increase in self employment and a massive swathe of people changing jobs to do things they actually like. If this catastrophe hasn't taught us that it's not worth putting up with a shite job then nothing will. Many will realise they can live on far less than they think and perhaps will give up their jobs and rely on a single earner in the family.

I also think there will be mass redundancies as customers stop buying as much as before for fear of a repeat cycle.

Many, many companies will simply not survive this.

Mass redundancies and self employment are linked.  More than 90% of companies are started by people who were made redundant from their previous job.  Most people are reluctant to give up on a known income even if they hate their job.

I have been self employed for 19 years.  A month before I started I had no idea I was about to do it.  However I was working with idiots and I became convinced they were going to destroy my career with their disastrous management decisions.

At first I thought it was a temporary arrangement until I figured out what to do next.  Nowadays I wonder why I worried about it at all.

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah I wasn't describing anyone being 'workshy'. Rather I was saying that folk often need to stretch tasks out or they'd be sitting there with nothing to do which would be quickly noticed in an office.

Parkinson's Law: "Work expands to fill the time available".

I'm less convinced that things will change much.  The pace of things already underway may speed up/slow down but I don't expect much new to  come out of this.  The people who were running  countries/businesses before will be the same - there will be no revolutions.   

9/11 was supposed to be the catalyst for a change in how mankind (OK, Americans) lived - anyone reckon anything has really changed except how most Americans now have a flag in their garden?

This will also reinforce the Brexiteer's view that we are better alone and isolated.  

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Many things, big and small, will surely change due to virus. Once it is under control and we can all fire about how we please again and folk are going back to work, what do you think will be different?

This is the thread to discuss such things.

I think we'll really start to move away from physical cash, with more and more places not just offering contactless but encouraging it. At the moment we're being asked to do as many things via contactless as we can. Many customers and businesses will realise that it's just a better way of doing things. It may speed up the eventual obsolescence of physical money.

I think we could also see many businesses realise that they do not need such a big office space and that they could easily increase remote working, and possibly see the benefits of it. Many folk would really benefit from being able to work from home when needed, such as those with childcare issues. Folk like me would like even a day a week out of the office. It just breaks up the monotony. Unfortunately this will take longer as far too many businesses are still stuck in victorian ways of working in terms of Mon-Fri 9-5, and there are too many moron managers around who can't handle it.

Hopefully more folk will wash their hands more often! I have my doubts about this one. Sadly I think the disgusting scumbags who didn't wash their hands regularly, especially after going to the toilet, will return to that once they feel everything is back to normal.

It’s difficult to say how things will change without knowing how long the current situation will last.

If it’s 2 months then back to normal, then I can’t see great changes, if it’s longer then I can see big changes. The cash to contactless thing was already on the way, so it’s difficult to credit coronavirus with this. I can see more home working on the back off it, as people who haven’t tried it before see how easy it is and how handy. It also cuts down on the nations carbon footprint and probably more importantly to most, cuts down on commuting costs.

More washing off hands might be a healthy upside, but I’m minded to think of the MSP on the radio who hoped that public decency would see us through. Then I went to Aldi and noticed that most can’t even follow simple rules about trying to keep 2 metres away from their fellow humans in a crisis. That’s before you take into account the junkies, alcoholics and other people like that who are at large in society.

Personally, it makes me think I should stop putting things off and act immediately, but that’s because I have a bit of time on my hands now. I tried to get a delivery of stuff to do the garden the other day, but there’s no deliveries at the moment as companies decide how to operate (if at all) during an epidemic. I still managed a bit of gardening. After this I’ll likely have little time on my hands again as my kids classes will have started up again, work will be actual work again, but I’m not going to sit watching TV. If it’s a nice day I’ll be outside walking or working in the garden or on the house.

I can see people being more prepared for any future outbreaks. Stocking up on food and equipment for 1 month rather than 1 week. The more extreme characters may turn into survivalist types. 

12 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

We will definitely see more video consultations/triage as a means of reducing the number of people attending GPs and hospitals.

Healthcare debate will change in future elections around the world. Hopefully for the better (unlikely)

More video appointments with GPs would be a good thing. They are already moving this way with phone appointments.

Sales of laptops will go through the roof as companies realise how much more flexible and practical they are than desktops, and that they're not that much more expensive and allow people to work from home more easily.