Maradona was better than Messi

I love this video, it is a song that was big across Europe at the time and just depicts a time and place in a very evocative way.  And btw, imagine your team signed a new player and this was his warm-up.  Something else like, just the joy of it.  That's just a guy with a talent having some fun and bringing joy to others, it's a beautiful thing.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

I actually had that full Napoli strip believe it or not.  My parents used to take in exchange students, to supplement their.income. From France and Spain and Italy mostly.

Met some great people Frank from Barcelona stands out. But my favourite was Stefani from Naples. She was beautiful and just great fun. When she got home she sent me a full Napoli strip with the Mars sponsor. The socks were weird didn't go all the way over your foot just a thin strip across your sole. Never had that explained to me.

On 29/03/2020 at 07:13, Moomintroll said:

I have said it before, but peak Maradona, with the protection that Referees give nowadays, would run amok in any generation. Much as it pains me to agree with Pepp, if the drug free Diego was playing before the current lockdown, he would be tearing defences a new one on a weekly basis safe in the knowledge that no pyscho from Bilbao (other Cities are available), could smash his shins for the price of a stern ticking off, or at worst, a yellow card.

100% this. Maradona was the greatest player of all time.

The game where Romania knocked them out was one of the best I've seen.
For younger readers, Maradona was watching from the stands having failed a drugs test.
Extremely flawed character but still the GOAT for me.

It's the flawed character that is part of the appeal for me. A ridiculously talented footballer and a Hardy wee b*****d who is batshit crazy. What's not to love

20 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I actually had that full Napoli strip believe it or not.  My parents used to take in exchange students, to supplement their.income. From France and Spain and Italy mostly.

Met some great people Frank from Barcelona stands out. But my favourite was Stefani from Naples. She was beautiful and just great fun. When she got home she sent me a full Napoli strip with the Mars sponsor. The socks were weird didn't go all the way over your foot just a thin strip across your sole. Never had that explained to me.

I fucking love you, Pep. 

Now i was ten during mexico 86 still remember it well. Had never seen nothing like maradona absolutely loved him. But all the older generations than myself they all said pele was by far the best and it wasnt even close. Im not arguing that at all as i wouldnt know. But for me for dribbling skills probably isnt that much between messi and diego but in my lifetime ive never seen any player anywhere with the vision that messi has. He sees passes that you cant even see them sitting up ìn the stand. Messi is the best of all time for me by a distnce 

FTFY. To be a great world player you have to win both at club and international level. Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo have won both. Messi has shown when it comes to either the world cup or the copa america he is bang average. Without a doubt the most overated player of all time. Until he wins either the world cup or copa america history will show 100 years from now no one will know he is.

No you don’t and you’ve got to be taking the piss?????

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/04/2020 at 15:36, Miguel Sanchez said:

Yes, he was. Then Lionel Messi came along. 

I don't think so. I think it you're picking a team to save your life you can have either one at their best you're picking Maradona. He just had a bit more, and was a street fighter.

When you hear Pele and Maradona talking about him and they agree he lacks personality that's the difference. They don't mean his jokes aren't good, they mean he can't impose his will on a game at the crucial moment the way they both proved they were able to do. Messi is wonderful but he's not a leader like those two.

I mean no danger do Maradona's team lose 4-0 at Anfield without Maradona at least affecting the game. 

His team needed one goal and they're in the CL final, Messi barely touched the ball, didn't have any good attempts on goal, didn't create anything for his teammates.

Maradona would have found a way to get it done, he's tougher mentally than Messi, smarter and has a slightly wider range of talents.

Also more committed he'd have been flying into tackles and dragging his teammates along with him, Messi just trotted about probably wearing gloves and hardly touched the ball, just watched his team go out.

I mean you wouldn't have seen Andy fuckin Robertson in Maradona's face winding him up and running over the top of him clattering into him, Robertson would have got either a broken jaw or completely rinsed, maybe both. Messi just took it.

On 28/04/2020 at 15:36, Miguel Sanchez said:

Yes, he was. Then Lionel Messi came along. 

That's ignoring the real Ronaldo.

Best player ever wouldnt even be a discussion if he hadnt spent most of his career battling knee injuries.

He achieved everything at club and International level. Broke goalscoring records at a young age, continued performing at an elite level throughout his career even after a career threatening injury. Carried both club and International teams to trophies.

By the age of 20 hed already won a World Cup, been voted the best player in the World and broke the record transfer fee. 

Theres not a single on paper argument that Messi/CR7 are better than him, apart from overall career goals scored. Hardly fair since he played in the Galactico era while those two have teams built to help them score.

Edited by RandomGuy.

35 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I mean no danger do Maradona's team lose 4-0 at Anfield without Maradona at least affecting the game. 

His team needed one goal and they're in the CL final, Messi barely touched the ball, didn't have any good attempts on goal, didn't create anything for his teammates.

Maradona would have found a way to get it done, he's tougher mentally than Messi, smarter and has a slightly wider range of talents.

Also more committed he'd have been flying into tackles and dragging his teammates along with him, Messi just trotted about probably wearing gloves and hardly touched the ball, just watched his team go out.

I mean you wouldn't have seen Andy fuckin Robertson in Maradona's face winding him up and running over the top of him clattering into him, Robertson would have got either a broken jaw or completely rinsed, maybe both. Messi just took it.

Worth mentioning a Maradona inspired Napoli lost 5-1 away to Werder Bremen, with Maradona playing 90 minutes and neither scoring nor assisting. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning a Maradona inspired Napoli lost 5-1 away to Werder Bremen, with Maradona playing 90 minutes and neither scoring nor assisting. 

Completely irrelevant when you read what I said. I said affect the game, did he create chances for his teammates, did he have efforts on goal, was he flying into tackles,or like Messi was he standing around passively watching his team to out and jogging about not touching the ball or affecting play at all?  Also was Maradona coked off his face, bearing in mind he was a drug addict for the last few years at Napoli?

If anyone can be bothered go and watch Messi at Anfield.

that's him at 31 having lived his life right and with all the sports science he won world player of the year last year so that's him still at his peak.

And his team were in deep shit in the biggest game they'd had in years. Messi contributed absolutely nothing in ninety minutes, barely touched the ball, didn't help his team defensively, didn't help them offensively, didn't help them keep the ball.

He did nothing, he didn't roll his sleeves up and get stuck in when they were in trouble, wasn't cajoling his teammates trying to lift them, just wandered about like a wee lost boy, wee jog every now and then, passive, weak, did nothing and contributed absolutely f**k all, they would have been just as well off with ten men.

If that's the best player of all time I'm Michael Jackson, and I'm a massive Messi fan but he lacks something that people like Maradona had.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's ignoring the real Ronaldo.

Best player ever wouldnt even be a discussion if he hadnt spent most of his career battling knee injuries.

He achieved everything at club, and International level. Broke goalscoring records at a young age, continued performing at an elite level throughout his career even after a career threatening injury. Carried both club and International teams to trophies.

By the age of 20 hed already won a World Cup, been voted the best player in the World and broke the record transfer fee. 

Theres not a single on paper argument that Messi/CR7 are better than him, apart from overall career goals scored. Hardly fair since he played in the Galactico era while those two have teams built to help them score.

This is true, Brazilian Ronaldo was better than Cristiano and probably Messi too. People forget he won world player of the year at 19, that's incredible.

If it wasn't for injury he could have been maybe the best ever, and funnily enough is the perfect combination of Messi and Cristiano, if you put the two of them into one player you'd have Ronaldo.

Also they benefited from him because they changed the way.the game is refereed because of Ronaldo, same way they Tiger-proofed golf courses. Players got a lot more protection after him, tackle from behind outlawed now the side too.

As has been mentioned several times difficult to compare players down the eras.  Very few on here will have seen Pele or Garrincha in their pomp and I can only speak from maybe 82 onwards. For me in that time the real Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are way better than pretend Ronaldo, Messi is better than any of them but Maradona  was a monster of a player.  The daddy of them all for me. Oh and he did win Mexico 86 pretty much on his own.