Maradona was better than Messi

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Discuss.

The greatest player ever to walk the face of the earth and if he played today would be unstoppable.

Impossible to judge players from different era's but one undeniable attribute that Maradona had that Messi doesn't was his shear force of personality. He dragged that fairly ordinary Argentina side to the World Cup in 1986 and very nearly again in 1990.

Edited by sjc

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Impossible to just players from different era's but one undeniable attribute that Maradona had that Messi doesn't was his shear force of personality. He dragged that fairly ordinary Argentina side to the World Cup in 1986 and very nearly again in 1990.

diego maradona soccer GIF

Mind 94 when he was smashed.

He was remarkable for Napoli and his 86 world cup performance was sublime.

Edited by Tynierose

Would argue that while the Argentina team Maradona had probably didn't have the attacking options Messi's era has, that Argentina team with Ruggiero and Passarella was a mean, mean defence.

Maybe it's easier to compare them to Portugal with Ronaldo- a good, not overly creative side blessed with an incredible game changer.

Edited by Comrie

2 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Would argue that while the Argentina team Maradona had probably didn't have the attacking options Messi's era has, that Argentina team with Ruggiero and Passarella was a mean, mean defence.

Passarella was the 82 was he not?

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

diego maradona soccer GIF

Mind 94 when he was smashed.

He was remarkable for Napoli and his 86 world cup performance was sublime.

That Argentina team was the best team in that tournament.  I don't think people realise how close they were to winning it three times in a row if things had gone a wee bit different.  And would have been four out of five.

watched the documentary about him.on Saturday now sitting watching videos set to like Italian music. Makes me quite emotional, some boy, some player and incredible story. We'll never see anything like that again.

11 minutes ago, sjc said:

Impossible to judge players from different era's but one undeniable attribute that Maradona had that Messi doesn't was his shear force of personality. He dragged that fairly ordinary Argentina side to the World Cup in 1986 and very nearly again in 1990.

Totally agree, I think that's the difference between them, plus maradona was a street fighter Messi doesn't have that toughness he had.

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

Passarella was the 82 was he not?

Passarella played in 78, 82 and 86.

He'd been stripped of the captaincy I think so maybe he had been pumping someone's wife.

Edited by Comrie

9 minutes ago, Comrie said:

What he did with Napoli was arguably more impressive. The club teams he played for were vastly interior to the teams Messi has played for and he dragged them to greatness.  Serie A was indisputably the world's best league and he elevated the level of the whole league,making all time greats like Platini look ordinary.

A bout of enterocolitis meant that he missed the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. He was replaced in the first team by defender José Luis Brown. Passarella had a fractious relationship with captain Diego Maradona and coach Carlos Bilardo during the tournament; he later claimed Bilardo and Maradona made sure that he was sidelined.[3] Even so, by being a part of the squad, he became the only player to feature in both Argentina's World Cup-winning teams.

Prior to his departure from the 1986 squad, it was revealed by Maradona that Passarella, while playing for Fiorentina, would go to Monaco to carry on an affair with the wife of another player, then boast about it in the changing rooms.[11]

The film that was on Channel 4 at the weekend managed to make his life seem a bit boring and didn't have nearly enough football.

As said above nearly impossible to judge players from different eras. He was certainly best of his time. My son asked if there was anyone close and I struggled a bit and eventually, half heartedly came up with Platini. He is too different a player to Pele, Messi or C. Ronaldo to compare.

If I was asked who I prefer to watch...probably Messi, slightly in front of Ronaldo.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

My personal preference is Messi. Yes Diego was sublime and achieved greatness with Argentina and won the World Cup more or less on his ability but some extremely average footballers have won one, so I can’t see why people use it as a gauge. Gattuso won one and he won’t go down as even one of the greats to play in Scotland.

Messi has been unstoppable for what seems to have been a lifetime at the highest level breaking pretty much every record in the game.

I do agree that you can’t compare a modern day footballer to a player of old as it’s a different game.