Lockdown Achievements

Went out a run today for the first time in years. I play 7s and walk to work (when both of those things are possible) so I'm not a completely unfit sack of shit but I haven't done any kind of jogging outside that for a long time due to shin splints. Managed about half an hour before checking my heart rate and deciding I needed a lie down.

If my legs hold up I'd love to do that every other day.

For just starting running again I'd suggest following a couch to 5k plan. Gives a bit of structure and eases you into it, also gives you a goal to work to, with the plans usually being about 9 weeks long.

Could also look into how to run properly, which helps especially with avoiding injuries.

Guest JTS98

I made my best potato scones yet yesterday.

Been making them for years on and off and I'm aware it's not exactly rocket science. But I usually get them too brown, or too white, or too thick.

The ones I made yesterday look so good that I doubt I'll ever eat them.

9 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Walked to the Co-Op, kept at least 2m away from everyone, bought ten cans of Tennents then came home and played Red Dead Redemption 2 (32% competed now for those interested). I'll keep you all updated.

Hanging on your every word...:)

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Relax and let the man work. You need your leave for resting 

That’s the plan, was out a 4 mile walk at 5am this morning with Mrs Monkman. She’s away to work so I’m going to sit and watch episode 1 of Band of Brothers. One of my lockdown achievements will be to watch the series, which will probably be about the 20th time. 

My only other plan today, when I muster up the motivation, is to visit the supermarket for some essentials and to assess the damage panic buyers have wreaked on the country. I also need to stock up on a lot of red wine. 

On the subject of supermarkets, I went to a farm behind Glasgow airport last night which has its own excellent shop. The place was fully stocked with fresh fruit, veg, eggs, cheese, milk and a wide variety of meat and fish. Help yourself and pay into an honesty box. No queues and no other customers in sight. I will be using that place for the foreseeable.

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

Recipe?

It'd dead easy. Potato, flour, butter, salt. Mix together then form into flat shapes and fry them up.

I think the key is letting the oil get hot enough before frying, and making sure they're not too thick when you're frying them.

I skin the potatoes then fry up the skin while I'm at it.

My only other plan today, when I muster up the motivation, is to visit the supermarket for some essentials and to assess the damage panic buyers have wreaked on the country. I also need to stock up on a lot of red wine. 

The stock levels actually appear to have normalised now that we're locked down and the numbers going into the shops is controlled. Funnily enough, the only thing apart from anti-bac stuff that they didn't have was red wine under £15

1 minute ago, paul-r-cfc said:

The stock levels actually appear to have normalised now that we're locked down and the numbers going into the shops is controlled. Funnily enough, the only thing apart from anti-bac stuff that they didn't have was red wine under £15

Monkman probably didn't know such a thing existed anyway. 

A 2 mile walk at 7.30, then up to Morrison’s for the weekly shop, then an hour of power washing the slabs at the house.

I do a pretty sedentary job and reckon I’ll be far more active during the lockdown that I’d normally be. 

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

I’m going to sit and watch episode 1 of Band of Brothers. One of my lockdown achievements will be to watch the series, which will probably be about the 20th time. 

hugely sensible decision - good work; I may follow along similar lines over the weekend by watching all of Taboo - that thing with Tom Hardy that was on the BBC a couple of years ago; no idea what it was really all about, but fucking brilliant nontheless, and James Keziah Delaney's hat is the single greatest piece of headgear in the entire history of mankind - want one...

3 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

MONKMAN-got-there-first-type post

After yesterday's achievement of making banana muffins and the greater achievement of cleaning up the kitchen I thought I'd try some exercise this morning (steady). Followed the instructions in Mrs SL's Tai Chi book for ten minutes. Sod that. Had one of the the muffins.

It'd dead easy. Potato, flour, butter, salt. Mix together then form into flat shapes and fry them up.
I think the key is letting the oil get hot enough before frying, and making sure they're not too thick when you're frying them.
I skin the potatoes then fry up the skin while I'm at it.

Thanks for that. I’m making a cottage pie today so might try to make with any left over spuds.