Poty/ypoty so far

Ok so it looks like the session is pretty much done.  No training and no games all our teams will still be having another few weeks off.  If the season returns everyone will have to build fitness and form again.  

Who would get your teams player of the year and young player of the year up to this point?

I'll start with the diamonds and go for Callum fordyce.  As hes been solid all season played in a few different positions across the back, ever present and probably the main reason our defence has been so strong.   Closely followed by dale Carrick for his work rate every game and improved his goal scoring from last year  but fordyce gets the award for a really strong consistent season. 

Young player has to be leon McCann.   One of the best young players we have had for a few years.  Considering he arrived as back up to eckersly and has kept his place in the team with some stand out performances.  A really solid wee player considering it's his 1st year in senior football.   

For Clyde I'd say that although Goodwillie has outgunned the rest of the league (only Declan McManus close to him) there have been loads of games this season where we haven't had anyone get close to him and as a result he's been a wee bit anonymous for large sections of games, so with that in mind I think POTY has to be David Mitchell. Other than that absolute assault on the brain that was his decision to pick up the backpass at Airdrie, he's been superb this season and his form has largely prevented a frightening downwards slump. For me, he's one of the best keepers in the league and it still makes me chortle that Falkirk binned him and signed Cammy Bell.

As far as YPOTY for Clyde goes, I would have said Craig Howie considering how well he's handled his step-up from the LL but I didn't realise he was actually 24, so by default I'm going to go with Mark Lamont because he... is younger than 24 and has played quite a few games without being notably atrocious. He is, on his day, a really good footballer.

Montrose

POTY - Whilst there are many contenders for Montrose POTY I think it has to go to Blair Lyons. He came from Stirling Uni in the summer and has lit up League 1. He has been absolutely fantastic for the Mo and you could tell from very early on that he would go on to bigger and better things so no suprise that Thistle paid money for him.
Have to mention Graham Webster who has undoubtedly had his best season in a Mo shirt. Clearly found his best position right of a front three and this is evidenced with his impressive goal and assist tally.

YPOTY - tough one as our young loanees has all done very well. Aidan Quinn who came from Heriot Watt Uni looks a right good player. He has only had a few appearances but he clearly has a bright future ahead of him. My YPOTY however will go to St.J loanee Cammy Ballantyne who at 19 has been fantastic in our midfield three. Very good passer of the ball and a composed player who should do well at a higher level.

Can't look past the best player in the league for our poty - regan hendry. Macdonald is a close shout though, he's been excellent for us but hendry is just a different level.

Our ypoty would undoubtedly be Bowie although tait has also been very good when given the chance.

In the league I'd still have hendry as poty although there are a few who have impressed me this season. Mcmanus is an obvious shout from falkirk. Wallace at ef has looked the key to them winning games by dropping in between the lines to feed dowds etc.

David Mitchell probably just ahead of goodwillie, purely because he’s a bit more consistent. 

Young player, would agree with the above on Howie. Started really poorly in the betfred cup and didn’t look close to the level required but he’s came on really well and put in some good performances. 

I’d agree with Mitchell as he has been really impressive all season. 
Goodwillie is obviously the best player in the side by a country mile but as has mentioned for weeks until recently was starved of service. Fair play to Lennon / Moore they have tweaked the set up and surprise surprise Goodwillie has been unplayable at times

Young player difficult due to consistency of Lamont, McStay (in particular) . So need to be Howie next suppose, pity we didn’t have Livingston earlier.. looks really good. 

Edited by FREDDYFRY

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

Bowie isn't even top 5 for our league. Lyons better by a distance. Dylan Tait is a far better player too.

Mcdonald has been class to be fair and will be in toty but not sure of poty

Bowie has dropped off the pace a bit recently but he was excellent for the first part of the season, he’s only 17, and he’s a shoe-in for our young player of the year.

Swithering between Regan Hendry and Kieran MacDonald for POTY. Both are excellent on their game.

Edited by Scary Bear

Bowie isn't even top 5 for our league. Lyons better by a distance. Dylan Tait is a far better player too.  

Could maybe extend this thread to be a league toty aswell. Up to the op with that one.

2 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Reading above posts. Suprised No Airdrie mentioned their Blonde Striker - Smith?! Always looked a handful in games v us

Callum Smith on loan from Dumfermline and I never like to give an award to loan players. I made an exception a few years ago with Scott Fraser from Dundee Utd. ( now somewhere in England)  As to Callum he certainly has great energy and pace and pesters defences, but he lacks the finishing touches of Gallagher or Carrick . This is only his first full season and he will develop.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

9 hours ago, oot_the_loop said:

I reckon Falkirk is an easy choice as we only have two players really worth a mention, so POTY: McManus, YPOTY: Mutch.

Yeah, no contest for us we're an embarrassingly/depressingly/shockingly easy choice in this debate.

Honourable mention for Gary Miller, hopefully he stays as captain next season - whenever that may be - as he's really made a difference in the second half of the season. But we've clearly only got the two stand-outs. 

Yeah, no contest for us we're an embarrassingly/depressingly/shockingly easy choice in this debate.
Honourable mention for Gary Miller, hopefully he stays as captain next season - whenever that may be - as he's really made a difference in the second half of the season. But we've clearly only got the two stand-outs. 

Mo Gomis deserves a mention as well. Probably our most consistent performer since the start of the season

Claiming Bowie not in the top 5 young players in League 1 is utter pish. I don’t see any other English clubs queuing up to sign any other young player in the league. There isn’t another player in League 1 who would fetch £150k.

Claiming Bowie not in the top 5 young players in League 1 is utter pish. I don’t see any other English clubs queuing up to sign any other young player in the league. There isn’t another player in League 1 who would fetch £150k.
I share the same view as many rovers fans that Dylan Tait is a better player.

Was more off the top of my head I would have said Lyons and Tait more deserved of the ypoty.