Pies

10 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Ordered a Malcom Allen steak pie from Asda, they sent a Bells. My evenings dinner is frankly ruined.

Fear for your guts and hoop.

Rest in the knowledge that the panic-bought bogroll hoard you denied an NHS worker or vulnerable elderly person, has been a justified acquisition. 

Just to keep you all updated, just finished it. Pastry was flimsy and there was one chunk of steak and some stringy bits. Hugely disappointing. Going to need to drink a bottle of wine now to get the taste out my mouth.

Just to keep you all updated, just finished it. Pastry was flimsy and there was one chunk of steak and some stringy bits. Hugely disappointing. Going to need to drink a bottle of wine now to get the taste out my mouth.
Praying for you bud. I'd have refused it.

choking to try a stephens pie or bridie. might beef to drive through to dunfermline one day to try these

Understandable, but I say this from Fife and all dwelling within f**k OFF

5 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Burnetts bakery in Inverness had a place in Diriebught Rd where you could stagger in pished, at 2am and buy 2 of their finest scotch pies topped with mash n baked beans.
Just what a pished young man living far away from home needed. They were fucking excellent.

The old Mathiesons bakehouse in Falkirk used to be good for this. Horn’s in Bo’ness were legends for a sunrise pie on the 5am stagger home from the lock-in or hoose party.

Not reading through the thread to see if this has been mentioned, but Nicoll's in Dundee (A quality pie maker) are doing this just now:
90594262_2451772425113277_229426630282444800_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105%26_nc_sid=110474%26_nc_ohc=mRRSk18xMYsAX9awHI9%26_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-1.fna%26oh=3d65cfc92335a0433437a6dba80566c2%26oe=5EA60601&key=669b7ad3a8ad1482fa4de05bfeaa633336ef0114cd83e9b90c86a396afc81bf4
Nicolls pies I believe you either love or hate. Hence I did not mention them. Imo they are far too greasy.
If only wallaces land of cakes had never been killed of by willie lows/tescos or whoever finally killed them, there would be no debate in dundee.

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

Nicolls pies I believe you either love or hate. Hence I did not mention them. Imo they are far too greasy.
If only wallaces land of cakes had never been killed of by willie lows/tescos or whoever finally killed them, there would be no debate in dundee.

Wallace pies were the king of pies.

As for the mention of Pie Bobs in Arbroath it gets revered because it's the only 24 hour food place for drunks in Arbroath. Much the same way Clarkies is. Decent, but overrated.

I had the worst ever mince pies from a bakery in montrose last year (can't mind the name), but they were truly awful. I bit into one an big drop of molten lava grease landed on my leg and nearly burnt a hole through my jeans.

ETA - It was frost's.

I had a pie at a midweek Saints game in Brechin many moons ago. It was early March and freezing. Bit into the pie and the grease literally flowed out. It splashed onto the crush barrier and it was that cold it formed solid hanging icicles of grease. Put me off fitba pies for pretty much life, think I've had 2 or 3 only since that night.

I was working in Manchester for a while a few years ago and I got quite addicted to goat curry patties from a nearby Carribean takeaway. 

Definitely one of the better meat filled pastry snacks going. I just wish you could get them up here.

I was incredibly disappointed with meat and potato pies from a bakery in Preston. Shite shortcut pastry and a pretty poor potato to meat ratio. In fact there was hardly any meat at all. 

20 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Don’t want to stereotype, but the English can’t do pies. 

I will politely disagree, pie and mash down south can be very decent. As long as you leave out that green shite they have with it.