Pies

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I had no idea either. I will definitely have to look in to acquiring one.

Melton Mowbray pork pies are ok, but they have to be the small ones.

Agreed. eating a full pork pie is enough to fell an Indian River Buffalo

no brainer here, but just to add a bit of  gristle to chew over - I assume that those ceramic/tin foil/pot dishes full of meat (or whatever) that have a pastry lid on them and no matching sides and bottom should never be considered as pies, that the hostelries and shops which serve them as such should be burned to the ground and the 'chefs' who make them kicked to death ?

33 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

no brainer here, but just to add a bit of  gristle to chew over - I assume that those ceramic/tin foil/pot dishes full of meat (or whatever) that have a pastry lid on them and no matching sides and bottom should never be considered as pies, that the hostelries and shops which serve them as such should be burned to the ground and the 'chefs' who make them kicked to death ?

At a minimum.

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

You used to a pie from Anderson's in South Clerk Street walking home from the pub on a Saturday night but bloody Gregg's did for them. And Gregg's pies are shite.

I still miss the peppered pies Irvine's in West Richmond Street did when I was young. Even Crawford's pies were better than bloody Gregg's 

Anyway there are also sweet pies (steady Kenneth)- anybody for damn fine cherry pie?

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Rhubarb pie > apple pie

Although rhubarb crumble > rhubarb pie

Also rhubarb crumble > apple crumble

^^^exactly this.

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Anyway there are also sweet pies (steady Kenneth)- anybody for damn fine cherry pie?

1 hour ago, sjc said:

^^^exactly this.

raspberry and redcurrant - sublime

if the Liz Hurley Appreciation Thread had a taste, it'd be raspberry and redcurrant pie...

Fleming's used to be brilliant. Full of steak and just the correct amount of gravy. Now there's hardly any steak and that that is there is full of gristle. 
They're a very poor relative of times gone by. 

Exactly this! They used to be fantastic, now they are just poor quality shite, I avoid them completely now.
Johnston’s pies(scotch) in Montrose used to be great, shame he retired.

I'm disgusted with myself that I didn't know a pie maker was a thing. That will be getting purchased.
And as well as the hot pies mentioned so far, I'm also a fan of the classic Melton Mowbray pork pie.
Our mini pie maker I believe does 4 at a time. Each is slightly bigger than a mince pie but not as big as a scotch pie. Dont overdo the filling to avoid mess is the key. Will try and post link.

1 minute ago, superbigal said:
6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
I'm disgusted with myself that I didn't know a pie maker was a thing. That will be getting purchased.
And as well as the hot pies mentioned so far, I'm also a fan of the classic Melton Mowbray pork pie.

Our mini pie maker I believe does 4 at a time. Each is slightly bigger than a mince pie but not as big as a scotch pie. Dont overdo the filling to avoid mess is the key. Will try and post link.

Saw this one, and also have a voucher for this place, so it could be a contender

https://www.hartsofstur.com/judge-electric-deep-pie-maker-jea70.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRm9_meoSI6HrIO_u7dhtdBGj4jkTW0gOU5LFBUsP2v-SZ2L9Gu9bWEaAlgFEALw_wcB

That's the idea but to much effort for only 2 pies. Best with 4 or 6

2 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

raspberry and redcurrant - sublime

if the Liz Hurley Appreciation Thread had a taste, it'd be raspberry and redcurrant pie...

Not sure how it tastes but it stinks of stale kippers and pish......

2 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I quite like the Australian pie floater, basically a pie placed into a bowl of soup.

Pie_floater_recipe.jpg.391bc3736f863557b8d3997ecf89ff91.jpg

I would generally go for a mince or steak and gravy pie with lentil or pea and ham soup and possibly a dash of HP sauce.

:lol:

That's just looks like it's going to be fun to throw about the place trying to eat.