Highland League - Season ended

Footballfirst

All football matters should be settled on the park. Not in meetings, not by algorithms and certainly not when current positions don’t show clear and obvious winners or losers. Once we are free to play we should go into pre-season training followed by the completion of season 19/20. During this phase agreement should be reached on a reduced 20/21 campaign which begins immediately following the completion of the 19/20 season.
Only other option as I see it is void the season and start again next (whenever that may be)

Im with you on this jerry. Finish this season whenever that is possible. Only fair way.

6 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

Im with you on this jerry. Finish this season whenever that is possible. Only fair way.

Mind you if you void the season  we would need to revert to last season's finishing positions meaning EK would get another crack at the play offs. 😉

28 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

All football matters should be settled on the park. Not in meetings, not by algorithms and certainly not when current positions don’t show clear and obvious winners or losers. Once we are free to play we should go into pre-season training followed by the completion of season 19/20. During this phase agreement should be reached on a reduced 20/21 campaign which begins immediately following the completion of the 19/20 season.

Only other option as I see it is void the season and start again next (whenever that may be)

This season cannot be completed and it would be wrong (in all leagues) to cause further issues by disrupting next season.  Clubs are also struggling badly, they need certainty and the ability to begin selling season tickets, hospitality etc for next season.

If we keep this season in susped status indefinitely, clubs will go to the wall.  We are in extraordinary times.

1 minute ago, Terry Singh said:

This season cannot be completed and it would be wrong (in all leagues) to cause further issues by disrupting next season.  Clubs are also struggling badly, they need certainty and the ability to begin selling season tickets, hospitality etc for next season.

If we keep this season in susped status indefinitely, clubs will go to the wall.  We are in extraordinary times.

What makes you think next season won't be disrupted?

5 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
13 hours ago, Ginaro said:
VoL wouldn't go down if Kelty beat Brora and then Brechin.

Bottom team always gets relegated. Happened to whitehill

Nope, the rules have changed - see the four cases in this table where the bottom club isn't relegated.

Rules.png

3 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

What makes you think next season won't be disrupted?

It could be due to restrictions, but it shouldn't be disrupted by trying to finish off this season.  If it can't be completed by 30th June when contracts expire then let's start with a clean slate.  That applies to all leagues at all levels.

Edited by Terry Singh

16 minutes ago, Terry Singh said:

It could be due to restrictions, but it shouldn't be disrupted by trying to finish off this season.  If it can't be completed by 30th June when contracts expire then let's start with a clean slate.  That applies to all leagues at all levels.

No it doesn’t the Highland League have decided on their league champions by committee.

I cant see things being cleared up in time to start next season as normal. So completing this season might be far more viable if we are looking at it being the end of year before anyone is kicking a ball again. All ifs and buts just now i know. Voiding a season when its this far in should never be an option. Play remaining games whenever that may be.

I cant see things being cleared up in time to start next season as normal. So completing this season might be far more viable if we are looking at it being the end of year before anyone is kicking a ball again. All ifs and buts just now i know. Voiding a season when its this far in should never be an option. Play remaining games whenever that may be.

Disagree. For many clubs there is little to play for, to then ask them to then complete meaningless matches 6 months down the line in order to satisfy some people's view of what integrity means is wasting everyone's time. Some clubs will need to field very different teams to their last game due to contracts expiring if this goes beyond 30th June. What's the point? It will also kill some clubs IMO if we do not end this season and allow everyone to plan and move on. Extend leagues if needs to so nobody is penalised.

I love how people talk about changing league structures as if it’s an everyday thing. To get agreement from 16 member clubs in one league is hard enough. Getting agreement from all member clubs from the SPFL, HL, LL, EoSL & SoSL is going to be a bit hard I suspect. Voiding the season is definitely an option and in a lot of ways probably the most sensible. But if you go down that route you have to void everything not just the bits you don’t like. In other-words void the season but no one goes up and no one comes down.

Disagree. For many clubs there is little to play for, to then ask them to then complete meaningless matches 6 months down the line in order to satisfy some people's view of what integrity means is wasting everyone's time. Some clubs will need to field very different teams to their last game due to contracts expiring if this goes beyond 30th June. What's the point? It will also kill some clubs IMO if we do not end this season and allow everyone to plan and move on. Extend leagues if needs to so nobody is penalised. 

I get where you are coming from and i find it hard to disagree with any of your points. We are in unchartered waters here with things changing daily (and that includes my viewpoints on best ways to deal with this season). I just think completeing the season should be the way forward if its possible.

2 minutes ago, johnmc80 said:

I get where you are coming from and i find it hard to disagree with any of your points. We are in unchartered waters here with things changing daily (and that includes my viewpoints on best ways to deal with this season). I just think completeing the season should be the way forward if its possible.

Aye we all have differing views and that's fair enough.  I just think the primary concern around what to do should revolve around a) keeping everyone healthy and safe first and foremomst and b) how to keep all clubs afloat and viable.

Aye we all have differing views and that's fair enough.  I just think the primary concern around what to do should revolve around a) keeping everyone healthy and safe first and foremomst and b) how to keep all clubs afloat and viable.

Keeping everyone as safe as possible goes without saying.

33 minutes ago, Terry Singh said:

Don’t think anyone will argue with you on either point.

4 hours ago, Terry Singh said:

So what do we do if football cant start again until january. Then you are not going to get a season done so you would be aswell continuing this season

On 21/03/2020 at 19:37, Burnie_man said:

I'd like to see the SPFL go 14-14-16.

Dundee Utd and ICT go upto Premiership, top 6  in League One into Championship, everyone else plus Kelty and Brora into L1.  Nobody penalised.

LL are then down to 15, no relegation, promote Bo'ness and Threave (if they want it) and open up applications for 18th place (or second EoS club?). Allows then to relegate 2 clubs next season.

EoS Premier potentially down to 14, promote Tynecastle, LTHV, Leith and Dunipace  (the only 4 clubs with realistic chances of promotion) and run with 18 for a season. Drop a cup or two to accomodate.

Below that, Conferences as has been agreed or First/Second.

Not perfect by any means, but a way forward where there's fewer clubs losing out, and the SPFL gets much needed reform.

Although you are lowland league, the rangers and Celtic still dictate this can’t happen as there has to be 4 arse cheek league derbies for the tv contracts so 16 top league can’t happen.

22 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Bottom isn't a guarantee of getting relegated. LL champion promoted with SPFL42 relegated to the Highland League is a scenario that saves 16th in the LL.

Bit ironic that. Lowland league moans about safety net of L2 bottom club ( playoffs) but lowland league bottom club has a safety net of its own ( without even having to win a play off).

Regardless what you think about the L2 play offs, that’s a bit embarrassing.

What happened to bottom should be  automatically relegated and all that sporting integrity etc?

Edited by big al

50 minutes ago, big al said:

Bit ironic that. Lowland league moans about safety net of L2 bottom club ( playoffs) but lowland league bottom club has a safety net of its own ( without even having to win a play off).

What happened to bottom should be  automatically relegated and all that sporting integrity etc?

Relegate and any team that finishes bottom regardless of league imo that’s what failure deserves

1 hour ago, big al said:

Every promotion/relegation scenario leaves the SPFL with a full complement of 42.

Not every promotion/relegation scenario leaves the Lowland League with 16 clubs.