Highland League - Season ended

Footballfirst

The Highland League has made a decision to end their season and declare Brora champions.

In the absence of relegation from the Highland League it's not necessarily a precedent that could work for the Lowland League.

http://www.highlandfootballleague.com/News/Item/1976_Scottish_Highland_Football_League_-_Update.aspx

Scottish Highland Football League - Update

Scottish Highland Football League clubs met today to consider options during the current public health emergency. The clubs are concerned to provide all involved and interested in the Highland League with as much clarity as possible.

The following decisions were made by the meeting:
• That the 2019-20 season be deemed to have concluded on the date that football activity in Scotland was suspended – Friday 13th March 2020
• That Brora Rangers FC be declared Breedon Highland League Champions for 2019-20
• That the latter stages of the Utilita Highland League Cup 2019-20 (semi-finals and final) be held over and played early in the 2020-21 season
• That there be no further matches in the Highland League Youth Development Initiative for the foreseeable future.

The League therefore goes into a form of hibernation until such time as football resumes after the Covid-19 pandemic passes. At that time, the possibilities for creating meaningful competitions in season 2020-2021 will be considered and that, in turn, will depend on when resumption takes place.

Clubs also recognised the valuable support given to its competitions by the Breedon Group and Utilita and wished to place on record their appreciation thereof.

In such a difficult time for all, the meeting was clear in its view that issues much more important than football currently predominate, with health and livelihoods being far more significant.

The meeting heard of a number of instances of clubs putting their shoulder to the resilience wheel and of club staff being very understanding of the financial challenges being faced. This was uplifting and can only be beneficial to the health and well-being of all concerned.

The final message from the League to club members, staff, volunteers and supporters is to stay safe and healthy and we all look forward to getting back to football when the time is right.

News Date 21/03/2020

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

So, what is to happen now? 

Do Brora need to wait and see who is crowned Champion of the Lowland to then wait and see who is chosen as bottom of league 2?

Would like both Brora and whoever the Lowland champions are both promoted. 

10 minutes ago, Dele said:

So, what is to happen now? 

Do Brora need to wait and see who is crowned Champion of the Lowland to then wait and see who is chosen as bottom of league 2?

Depending on the action that the SPFL eventually takes, there may be no play-off, and club 42 would remain in situ in L2.

I'd like to see the SPFL go 14-14-16.

Dundee Utd and ICT go upto Premiership, top 6  in League One into Championship, everyone else plus Kelty and Brora into L1.  Nobody penalised.

LL are then down to 15, no relegation, promote Bo'ness and Threave (if they want it) and open up applications for 18th place (or second EoS club?). Allows then to relegate 2 clubs next season.

EoS Premier potentially down to 14, promote Tynecastle, LTHV, Leith and Dunipace  (the only 4 clubs with realistic chances of promotion) and run with 18 for a season. Drop a cup or two to accomodate.

Below that, Conferences as has been agreed or First/Second.

Not perfect by any means, but a way forward where there's fewer clubs losing out, and the SPFL gets much needed reform.

Edited by Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Dundee Utd and ICT go upto Premiership, top 6  in League One into Championship, everyone else plus Kelty and Brora into L1.  Nobody penalised.

LL are then down to 15, no relegation, promote Bo'ness and Threave (if they want it) and open up applications for 18th place (or second EoS club?). Allows then to relegate 2 clubs next season.

EoS Premier potentially down to 14, promote Tynecastle, LTHV, Leith and Dunipace  (the only 4 clubs with realistic chances of promotion) and run with 18 for a season. Drop a cup or two to accomodate.

Not perfect by any means, but a way forward where there's fewer clubs losing out, and the SPFL gets much needed reform.

Why should the team from Fife go into L1, seems very presumptious.

C,mon The Rose 

Clyde, Peterhead, Forfar and Stranraer all get relegated to the bottom league. After it taken us 10 years to get out the bottom league [emoji45]

12 hours ago, gogsy said:

Should award the title to Kelty, purely on the off chance it would make bravehearts dad head explode.

No chance my head will explode. It would just give more unnecessary money to the legal profession. Have the future Gretna of Fife allocated a sum of money in their 5year plan budget for legal expertise ?  Oh sorry that is just petty cash for them. I just want a level playing field.

C’mon The Rose 

No chance my head will explode. It would just give more unnecessary money to the legal profession. Have the future Gretna of Fife allocated a sum of money in their 5year plan budget for legal expertise ?  Oh sorry that is just petty cash for them. I just want a level playing field.
C’mon The Rose 
You wont get a level playing field I'm afraid, we're in an unprecedented situation and difficult decisions need to be taken, and soon.

21 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
46 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:
C’mon The Rose 

You wont get a level playing field I'm afraid, we're in an unprecedented situation and difficult decisions need to be taken, and soon.

Okay then I will give my opinion on this unprecedented situation.

I cannot see any sport being played again this year so in effect I have written off 2020.  I appreciate there are many problems to overcome, so when football can again be played complete this season 2019-20.  Cancel season 2020-21 in its entirety, we will need some sort of pre season to get players up to fitness. Start July/August with season 2021-22.

C’mon The Rose 

Okay then I will give my opinion on this unprecedented situation.
I cannot see any sport being played again this year so in effect I have written off 2020.  I appreciate there are many problems to overcome, so when football can again be played complete this season 2019-20.  Cancel season 2020-21 in its entirety, we will need some sort of pre season to get players up to fitness. Start July/August with season 2021-22.
C’mon The Rose 
That's not practical on any level.

1 hour ago, selfassemblyshire said:
9 hours ago, Ginaro said:
VoL wouldn't go down if Kelty beat Brora and then Brechin.

Bottom team always gets relegated. Happened to whitehill

Bottom isn't a guarantee of getting relegated. LL champion promoted with SPFL42 relegated to the Highland League is a scenario that saves 16th in the LL.

All football matters should be settled on the park. Not in meetings, not by algorithms and certainly not when current positions don’t show clear and obvious winners or losers. Once we are free to play we should go into pre-season training followed by the completion of season 19/20. During this phase agreement should be reached on a reduced 20/21 campaign which begins immediately following the completion of the 19/20 season.

Only other option as I see it is void the season and start again next (whenever that may be)