The full match thread

After someone mentioned the 1970 world cup final in the covid thread I looked it up this morning. Safe to say football has changed a lot since then. Some of the shots, corners and balls just hoofed out of play were comical.Unpopular opinions thread for this probably but today's teams would destroy them.

The teams from that era would hammer teams from the 1920's just as much as today's teams would hammer the 1970's lot. Basic evolution of football.

Watched the Sevco v Hibs 2016 cup final earlier. It never gets old hearing Andy Walker and that other commentator c**t (forgotten his name) trying to mask disappointment at Rangers getting beaten. You’d never think Walker had played for Celtic to listen to him. Anyway, to be fair to Hibs fans, the rendition of Sunshine on Leith at the end was really quite lovely to watch.

Edited by Jambomo

Darren Fletcher was very underrated for Scotland. 

He was always calm on the ball and got his head up to make a pass. He had to launch it sometimes because there was  no other option but he only ever did that as the last resort. He didn't panic and seemed to know where players were, or where they should be. He kept us possession at vital times and kept the ball moving.

Watching that game against France earlier he easily held his own against some outstanding midfielders. He always wanted the ball when it was on and never hid from it. He made a few absolutely outstanding passes, but most of all was utterly composed and calmed things down for us often and radiated that composure around.

We could do with a player like him now. We could do with that team now. Quality in defence, midfield and up front.

Great strip too.

Edited by DA Baracus

Watched the Sevco v Hibs 2016 cup final earlier. I never gets old hearing Andy Walker and that other commentator c**t (forgotten his name) trying to mask disappointment at Rangers getting beaten. You’d never think Walker had played for Celtic to listen to him. Anyway, to be fair to Hibs fans, the rendition of Sunshine on Leith at the end was really quite lovely to watch.
Disappointing lack of pitch invasion though.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He was always calm on the ball and got his head up to make a pass. He had to launch it sometimes because there was  no other option but he only ever did that as the last resort. He didn't panic and seemed to know where players were, or where they should be. He kept us possession at vital times and kept the ball moving.

Watching that game against France earlier he easily held his own against some outstanding midfielders. He always wanted the ball when it was on and never hid from it. He made a few absolutely outstanding passes, but most of all was utterly composed and calmed things down for us often and radiated that composure around.

We could do with a player like him now. We could do with that team now. Quality in defence, midfield and up front.

Great strip too.

He got a lot of stick but Fletcher was one of my favourite players for Scotland.

Watched the 1986 QF - it’s remarkable that England had even the slightest grievance given that they played like a gang of absolute huddies. Glenn Hoddle was hilariously bad from start to finish - not just giving the ball away for the second goal. If he’s regarded as the ‘cultured midfielder’ of English football in the 1980s then the standard was objectively honking.

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Watched the 1986 QF - it’s remarkable that England had even the slightest grievance given that they played like a gang of absolute huddies. Glenn Hoddle was hilariously bad from start to finish - not just giving the ball away for the second goal. If he’s regarded as the ‘cultured midfielder’ of English football in the 1980s then the standard was objectively honking.

England were up against a Rubik's Cube. Maradona's first goal was the equivalent of removing all the stickers and putting them back on to suit, but his second was some wee mad Russian schoolkid of the 80s who completed it in 70 seconds.

Watched the Sevco v Hibs 2016 cup final earlier. It never gets old hearing Andy Walker and that other commentator c**t (forgotten his name) trying to mask disappointment at Rangers getting beaten. You’d never think Walker had played for Celtic to listen to him. Anyway, to be fair to Hibs fans, the rendition of Sunshine on Leith at the end was really quite lovely to watch.

Ian Crocker is the other commentator. I don’t think either of them sounded too disappointed tbf.

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

He was always calm on the ball and got his head up to make a pass. He had to launch it sometimes because there was  no other option but he only ever did that as the last resort. He didn't panic and seemed to know where players were , or where they should be.  He kept us possession at vital times and kept the ball moving.

Great strip too.

If I was Ash Taylor , I’d try to copyright that line

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Crocker is a massive ***. He wills Rangers forward every time he commentates on them. 

Can’t say I’d regard him as leaning towards either of the Arse-Cheeks more than the other.  He panders to them collectively.

And as if watching Scotland on Sky wasn’t bad enough , him and Provan together make the experience even more miserable.

Edited by A96

Watched the The Caley v Falkirk cup final there. First time I've watched the full match back despite still having it recorded on my Sky Q box from 5 years ago. 

Falkirk completely reinvented the shoot on site tactic thay day didn't they?

I stopped counting after they had their 200th shot of the match about the hour mark.