The working from home, sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily and isolation thread

On 20/03/2020 at 18:31, DA Baracus said:

Yes.

I definitely didn't make a faux pas and have only just realised that you can't get 'w**k' from the letters in 'walk'.

^^^walker

Finding it extremely tough to work at home. I’m a full-time student in my second year and our exams are going ahead online, as are our tutorials and lectures.

I’m hoping I can base my exam answers on the most effective free transfer signings in Championship Manager 01/02. 

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Finding it extremely tough to work at home. I’m a full-time student in my second year and our exams are going ahead online, as are our tutorials and lectures.

I’m hoping I can base my exam answers on the most effective free transfer signings in Championship Manager 01/02. 

How do they moderate online exams? 

I'm working from home for the foreseeable. So far I've been able to record two video lessons (now need to be edited and uploaded) and also spent a virtual hour with one of my classes earlier.

29 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

How do they moderate online exams? 

It depends entirely on the course but some of them really don't need to be moderated anyway. If you're writing essays for example then flicking back and forth through key texts during the exam time will lead to you writing less and producing shite analysis: it's why an open book exam isn't the automatic shoo-in that people think it is. You can also pick up on plagiarism and essay mills very easily as well, which will be the most likely panic strategy of those who didn't study.

I think that most education courses should have been postponed until the autumn term though, with the exception of final year classes for those entering the graduate job market this summer (good luck with that). It is unrealistic to expect similar standards of ongoing learning to take place in the wildly different home environment that students already deal with, never mind additional care responsibilities that will be required in the weeks to come. Some students will not even have reliable access to IT with public libraries now closed and public transport being warned against, and the IT systems within colleges and universities are a running joke as well. 

For colleges in particular to be continuing course modules that only started a week or two ago in a distance learning package is ridiculous. If I were a student paying or topping up loans for that then I'd be seriously considering a legal challenge.

On 20/03/2020 at 19:00, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

One for the oldies. Full weekends and more have been wasted.

Not sure I'd go back to Civ II, but Civ IV (Beyond the Sword) for when I just want to relax, and Civ VI for when I want a bit of a challenge (i.e. I've no idea what's going on)

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

I’ve worked from home before, I’ll do it again, but I’m just nowhere near as productive as I would be even sitting alone in the office. A simple report which should take a couple of hours takes twice as long. However the most frustrating thing is the fact that the foot and a half stone walls to my flat block all telephone signal except right next to the window, which I’m never at. Makes it impossible for people to call me and vice versa.

The gf is loving working from home for the first time in her life, but I’ve always hated it. Not helped by the fact her job requires her to be on the phone constantly, so she’s at the window talking away in the same room as me for pretty much 8 hours solid!

39 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Had a video conference today, 30 odd people on it, couple of partners etc. One of the boys doing the most talking, and therefore in the prominent four video slots on Microsoft teams was sat in his dressing gown having a cigarette. 

Absolute rock star. 

Your definition of rockstar differs from everyone else's .

As of later today I will be off for a minimum of three weeks with nothing work related to do.

An exercise regime will be essential as will not succumbing to drink too much wine too early.

I will need to clarify ‘too much’ and ‘too early’ as the days roll on.

This is a good idea for a thread. My productivity has generally gone to shit this week. Last week I managed just fine, got up early, pot of coffee, breakfast and good to go. This week I'm struggling to get up and put a washing on never mind do my job to any kind of acceptable standard.

I need a trip to the shop anyway to get some food hopefully can shake me out of this awful stupor.

Flat below have started playing games with their toddler. Sounds like the fucking hoose is getting wrecked to the overly loud beat of Baggy Trousers. c***s.

Getting paid for staying at home. No need for my business stream to work from home. Countdown to redundancy in April after TUPEing over to Client.

Where's my beer? 🤔😉