The working from home, sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily and isolation thread

I like the idea of a defined work space but it's not easy because I've already got a desk with a decent monitor and it would be stupid not to use it for work . It might be that I need to effectively "requisition" that space for work only and just sit on the sofa with my laptop in the evenings. I'm fine with creating a defined end to the work day, and I do swap out my work laptop for my personal one, but spending 10-12 hours (non-consecutive, I hasten to add - I take breaks and, you know, eat)  in the same room all day might just send me mad.

While it also goes somewhat against the reasons for working from home in the first place, two of my friends have suggested using their house as a makeshift office a couple of times a week. It would only be four of us in total, so not that bad, and would go a long way to stopping the stir-craziness from setting in. The risk is if any of us then get a headache or fever we're all f**ked for a fortnight. 

I'm working from home for the first time ever on Monday. Somewhat looking forward to it as I don't need to commute and I don't think I will feel anywhere near as much pressure on me when at home (I have a pishy B2B sales job). 

Negatives include not having the satisfaction of leaving big shites in the work pan for some other fucker to smell and flush and also not getting my regular lunch at the Bon Accord. 

How.long will this actually last for do we think work wise? I've heard everything from a day to a fucking year.

Have been working from home in a day in day out rota this week. My employers have been nothing but great through this so far. They have made sure everyone has a laptop who didn't previously and are now offering new PC monitors to let folk work indefinitely from home with as close to regular office setup as possible. Also offering childcare to those who have been affected in that regard. 

Work is now testing the VPN connection on Monday and Tuesday to  see if the bandwidth use is enough to allow the entire office based finance team to work at home and make sure all order releases specifically relating to Covid aren't delayed by connection issues and from there may well be home working indefinitely. 

Despite the size of the company as well, they've changed tack from being pretty stringent about order releases and limits to more or less operating on a 'release now, worry about the money later' basis on Covid specific orders, which restores my faith in large organisations somewhat. 

Suppose that's why I am quite positive about this on the whole in the long term. I am working in but a tiny corner of this entire process and I can see first hand just how much, time, effort, human input and money is being thrown at resolving the issue. Scienctific progression WILL resolve this, I'm in absolutely no doubt. 

I've never classed myself as the sort of person who lands on his feet but for the first time I feel exceptionally lucky just now to be in a role that is not just providing a massively important service when looking at the bigger picture but on a personal level is also offering total job security in this fucking horrible time. 

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I've done 5 weeks isolation before in hospital with only the Doctors and Ruggy for company. By week 3 if was severely affecting my mental health but it was because I was away from the children and really unwell. I cried every single day they told me I would be staying in with no end in sight. I'm hoping this time is better because I have the kids here and can go out in the garden. I'm pretty much staying in for the whole 12 weeks as I am in the highest risk category. I've bought loads of crafty things to do, outdoor activities and things to plant in the garden so hopefully we'll be able to stay occupied. Plus Disney+ is coming out next week 😀

I've done 5 hours in a pub with Ruggy (a few times). I can't imagine your pain. 😜

Ended up on annual leave most of this week but working from home started today for our department. About 400+ messages in the whatsapp group today from everyone figuring out how to set up with a multitude of questions, so will be a laugh on monday for me trying to get set up and up to speed... dunno what like my desktop and internet will be like either.

Edit: tbf i havent been reading through the messages it as im aiming to get set up sunday evening and i was too busy hunting for some messages for my mum but it seems like its going to be a fiddly ballsache.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I'm normally n the happy position of being able to choose to work from home whenever I want to, within reason. Having recently had a lot of work done on the house, it's stopped me & Mrs Gilp having to use annual leave to cover.

However, as her work has now closed to all face to face interactions with the public, both of us will be working from home from Monday.

She's already said she wants the main dining table, as she needs both her laptop screen & a monitor, so I'm either in my armchair with my laptop & a slanted keyboard desk or lying on the bed. Neither of these are going to work in the long term.

Looks like the spare room is going to be even more crowded.

It's all pretty shit!

Guest JTS98

Good to see you back, DA.

I've done four days of working from home now and am living through Malaysia's Movement Control Order, which basically means you can't go out other than to buy food.

Firstly, I'd say get up and have a shower. It's easy to mess about, read the news, get on youtube, make a coffee etc then realise it's lunchtime and you've not got dressed. But don't do that. Get up, make your bed, have a shower and you've already achieved three things and you're up and running.

Agree completely with the idea of keeping one specific area for work. That's what I've done and it's working well for me.

Keep the place tidy. I spend ten minutes a day cleaning and the place looks great. Just makes things feel better. Also, something to do.

Don't over-eat. Remember, you're not tiring yourself out by being out and about all day, so it'll be easy for people to put on weight or just over-do the snacks etc. Schedule your meals and cook them yourself. It's something to do and healthier.

Get some exercise. There are lots of home workout things on youtube. I'd say pick one and do it a couple of times a day for 10-15 minutes. Something to do, keeps you active, makes you feel better.

When work is done, it's done. Don't look for extra. Relax. Do things you enjoy. Keep a decent bedtime. A good sleep pattern is important. Keep off the bevvy. I think being hungover in a situation like this must be horrific.

Edited by JTS98

Been working from home more or less for 10 years. One thing that I have picked up recently that I think has some value (although for long enough I thought it was a useless fad), is the pomodoro technique. I have a timer on my phone and computer and use it a great deal now. Work for 20 minutes, 5 minute break. After several rounds of this you get an extended break of 15 minutes. I find this really good. 5 minutes, wander outside for a breath then back to work.

Sorry throbbs but that last sentence is comedy gold, how can you even start to ponder the sequence of events that led to that happening.

She has been getting more and more irate coz she can’t do her workload on her own laptop so it was going to be delivered yesterday around 5 o clock but the woman who was bringing it took 2 x lap tops down to her her, put one on ground as she opened door of her car then put the other one in and then started talking to another girl from the office who was walking by at the time and she forgot about the lap top on the ground and then ran it over.

The Mrs found out from a co worker, the boss text her to say there as an IT problem that meant it couldn’t be delivered!

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think there will be three distinct groups; people working from home, people who are self-isolating and people who will be sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily.
I think the third group will be he biggest group in the next few weeks and months.
I hope if I’m in any group it will be the third one.

I’m asthmatic got sent home for 12 weeks I’m a guard on trains

My work is allowing us to take our PCs home from Monday if we want to. I have a spare room and no kids to worry about, so I should be fine if I take up the option.

My job for the foreseeable will probably exclusively be processing applications from businesses for their Covid reliefs and grants and the phone will be ringing off the hook. There will be a lot of angry people on the line once they realise that Airbnbs are excluded from the scheme, and I don't know if I want to deal with that from home.

I think I'll try a few days in the office to start with and then decide if I want to work from home or not.

I’ve been working from home since Wed. It’s fine but I find it so hard to actually get down to doing work and not just checking the e-mail and chat functions we have. I’ve basically done f**k all in 3 days.

15 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I’ve been working from home since Wed. It’s fine but I find it so hard to actually get down to doing work and not just checking the e-mail and chat functions we have. I’ve basically done f**k all in 3 days.

I did that for years.

Edited by Jacksgranda