The working from home, sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily and isolation thread

Firstly, good to see you back DA.

Obviously not used to working from home 5 days a week, but I am familiar with it in my role, and as mentioned on the Depression thread, I always follow the Pomodoro technique, works wonders for ones mental health, constantly giving you something to look forward to.

When the weather is nice I tend to sit out in the garden for these five minutes, natural light as mentioned by DA does wonders for your mental health and well-being.

Eat well. Stay away from the fridge if possible, don’t sit and graze on food you otherwise wouldn’t have if you were in the office, try and stick to as much of a routine in terms of eating as you would if you were in work.

Get up at the same time you normally would and shower, dress and prepare yourself as you normally would. Sitting in jammies, smelling isn’t going to make you productive.

Someone mentioned it, maybe on here or on Twitter, but resonated with me. Wear a pair of shoes or trainers rather than being barefoot. I’m not saying it makes you productive, but I think it can help. I always keep mine on as before I start I take the kids to school and tend to get up and go out during my breaks.

Keep in touch with your colleagues. We have started video conference calls, keeps you sane when you see and interact with other people.

Think that’s it.

I work from home 80% of the time anyway, only difference just now is that my other half is also doing the same.  She's turned the dining room into her office, whilst I have my own one.

HC's 4 Golden Rules:

1) If you're going to be working from a laptop for a few weeks, take the £29.99 hit and buy yourself a wireless mouse / keyboard combo so that you can raise the screen to eye level.  Posture is everything and it's far cheaper than a trip to the physio.  Even if you you only need / use it for 12 weeks, it works out to 50p per working day to prevent you f***ing up your neck as a result of the constant tilting down.  I say this from first hand experience.

2) Get a morning routine.  It's easy to say I'll just work 11-7 instead of 9-5, but you end up feeling guilty for having lazy long lies once the novelty wears off.  Far better to get to 6pm and switch off, mentally guilt free.  You'll enjoy it more.

3) If you have a spare room, make that the office.  Far better to have a place that you associate with work and another with play.  

4) Get out the house for at least half an hour during daylight.  My body just feels horribly weird if I get to dusk without seeing the sun.

5) Limit one's self to 4 units of alcohol before 5pm.

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I work from home 80% of the time anyway, only difference just now is that my other half is also doing the same.  She's turned the dining room into her office, whilst I have my own one.

HC's 4 Golden Rules:

1) If you're going to be working from a laptop for a few weeks, take the £29.99 hit and buy yourself a wireless mouse / keyboard combo so that you can raise the screen to eye level.  Posture is everything and it's far cheaper than a trip to the physio.  Even if you you only need / use it for 12 weeks, it works out to 50p per working day to prevent you f***ing up your neck as a result of the constant tilting down.  I say this from first hand experience.

2) Get a morning routine.  It's easy to say I'll just work 11-7 instead of 9-5, but you end up feeling guilty for having lazy long lies once the novelty wears off.  Far better to get to 6pm and switch off, mentally guilt free.  You'll enjoy it more.

3) If you have a spare room, make that the office.  Far better to have a place that you associate with work and another with play.  

4) Get out the house for at least half an hour during daylight.  My body just feels horribly weird if I get to dusk without seeing the sun.

5) Limit one's self to 4 units of alcohol before 5pm.

Change that last bit to 10.30am and I’m in.

Only kidding, 10am.

11 minutes ago, Adam said:

Assuming they’re sound, obviously. Only good kents in my team.

To be fair there's a few that are alright and I stay in touch with them by email or phone. It's the other half or so that drive me beyond murderous insanity.

I've done 5 weeks isolation before in hospital with only the Doctors and Ruggy for company. By week 3 if was severely affecting my mental health but it was because I was away from the children and really unwell. I cried every single day they told me I would be staying in with no end in sight. I'm hoping this time is better because I have the kids here and can go out in the garden. I'm pretty much staying in for the whole 12 weeks as I am in the highest risk category. I've bought loads of crafty things to do, outdoor activities and things to plant in the garden so hopefully we'll be able to stay occupied. Plus Disney+ is coming out next week 😀

18 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I've done 5 weeks isolation before in hospital with only the Doctors and Ruggy for company. By week 3 if was severely affecting my mental health but it was because I was away from the children and really unwell. I cried every single day they told me I would be staying in with no end in sight. I'm hoping this time is better because I have the kids here and can go out in the garden. I'm pretty much staying in for the whole 12 weeks as I am in the highest risk category. I've bought loads of crafty things to do, outdoor activities and things to plant in the garden so hopefully we'll be able to stay occupied. Plus Disney+ is coming out next week 😀

Ah! You're getting the super-duper package...plus plus.

Sorry.  I'm not a regular here. I'm thread surfing as I'm incarcerated on a Friday night.

Where to next?

Looking forward to getting to work from home, we don't have natural light at work so will be nice to have day light. 

Will miss my team our Friday bacon roll will now be virtual

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think there will be three distinct groups; people working from home, people who are self-isolating and people who will be sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily.

I think the third group will be he biggest group in the next few weeks and months.

I hope if I’m in any group it will be the third one.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think there will be three distinct groups; people working from home, people who are self-isolating and people who will be sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily.

I think the third group will be he biggest group in the next few weeks and months.

I hope if I’m in any group it will be the third one.

I'm all for pedantry and as such have changed the thread title.