The working from home, sent home when their businesses stop trading permanently or temporarily and isolation thread

Been wfh since Tuesday, my wife since Monday. Not a completely new thing for either of us, do it on occasion but not for this length of time coming up and the hardest part will be staying motivated.

Keeping to a routine will be vital, no kids to dictate that, but easy to let standards slip.

Top tip, only listen to the news once or twice a day, depressing as f*ck otherwise.

I’ve tried to organise my garage into a mini gym and it would comfortably be the worst mini gym in the entire world. I have a 40kg worth of barbell plates, a terrible mini barbell thing, a cross trainer that’s been left in the garage since 2017 and, er, that’s it. The ceiling is low and I don’t have a squat rack or bench so I can only do deadlifts.

I can feel my gains evaporating before the virus even takes hold. I’ve got some dumbbells somewhere I’m sure not that they are much good.

We are on week two of this, my wife has lost her job as her workplace is closed for foreseeable.
I turned the kids toy room into an office. The main door is locked. The second door to the bathroom is locked on my side so I can use it and wife and eldest can use that bathroom (using upstairs bathroom involves stopping daredevil toddler racing them up the stairs).
I had tried the kitchen as an office but as alluded to elsewhere on the first day the toddler decided to sit beside me, toddler speak at me, shit himself and continue toddler talk. All whilst I was trying to explain to the hard of thinking that investments can go down as well as up.

I have tried to keep to the same routine as pre work from home. Up shower, dressed, coffee and head to work.
Just now I get proper cooked lunch and the commute has gone from an hour each way to a minute.
I get to pop into the office once a week for posting. I'm midst a massive project and dropping to one screen is a pain in the tits. The other option is get the long HDMI cable I have and try and use my old TV as a second screen.

10 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

The other option is get the long HDMI cable I have and try and use my old TV as a second screen.

You should have thought about that before and locked an IT guy in the basement, what were you thinking?

You should have thought about that before and locked an IT guy in the basement, what were you thinking?
We use display link on laptop, not many tvs have a display link po try.
The it guy gave me a displaylink to hdmi converter but the TV is a rear projection bravia. It's 50 inch so one screen being laptop 15 inch and then second being a washed looking 50 is a smidge too dis proportionate for me without a decent length hdmi cable.
Company ordered a few monitors for staff so I just need to bother my arse into the office to collect it next time I go printing.

My office-based staff will be down to a grand total of one person (me) and one whippet this week. Others can work remotely. May have to swap the roles around in following weeks around depending on who has cabin fever/killed/not killed their spouse. No idea how I’d cope with working from home. Don’t think I’ve been at home during the week for anything other than a bit of lunch since I was a student. Never off sick and when I have time off It’s always away somewhere. 

Leave house. Into car. Park. Into office, lock door behind me, coffee machine on. Go home. Repeat.

I have dual screens in the office and at home but our remote access thingie only gives me one screen and I can confirm it is annoying as f**k.

#firstworldproblems

I normally have three screens but only have one when working from home and it’s really annoying. How did I work for literally decades with only one screen?

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I normally have three screens but only have one when working from home and it’s really annoying. How did I work for literally decades with only one screen?

Obviously it's going to take you three times as long to do the work, so bags of overtime!

39 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My office-based staff will be down to a grand total of one person (me) and one whippet this week. Others can work remotely. May have to swap the roles around in following weeks around depending on who has cabin fever/killed/not killed their spouse. No idea how I’d cope with working from home. Don’t think I’ve been at home during the week for anything other than a bit of lunch since I was a student. Never off sick and when I have time off It’s always away somewhere. 

Leave house. Into car. Park. Into office, lock door behind me, coffee machine on. Go home. Repeat.

Good move as a barista locking the door behind you guarantees a quiet day

I cleared out the spare room today in anticipation of working from home later this week.

I discovered that I had accumulated some amount of plastic junk during the Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad about a decade ago. The DJ Hero turntable still looks as cool as f**k though. I also own a stupid amount of football programmes that I will never read again.

Open Uni have some free online courses. Could be interesting and a good way to pass time;

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/

As many here are raging alki jakes, this course, The Science of Alcohol, may be of interest. Homebrewers may also find it useful as it apparently goes in to some detail on that front.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/the-science-alcohol/content-section-overview?active-tab=description-tab

Now that we might have some time for it, have you thought about creative writing or writing in general? This one could be of use;

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/history-the-arts/creative-writing-and-critical-reading/content-section-0?active-tab=description-tab