Jump to content
Scottydog

2019-20 how to conclude.

F*** Mr Cockwomble, we'll decide!  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I was just posting the latest update on it, never said it was a flawless idea
I know that. Wasn't aimed directly at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn’t a no-brainer that teams in promotion play-off spots will vote against. Falkirk surely will, but there is absolutely no prospect of Montrose or Cowdenbeath (for example) being promoted or getting to play their play-off matches. It can’t and won’t happen. Certainty of prize money being released now should be of more value.

Obviously easy to point at the team I support and yes, selfishly I hope this goes through, but a team in 4th rejecting it has nothing to gain right now by doing so.

There’s also this segment to consider: “If the resolution is approved, the SPFL has also committed to consulting with Clubs over the possibility of League restructuring ahead of Season 2020/21”. Obviously hard to ask teams to vote with only vague commitments but it might get it over the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to say that Falkirk Airdrie Montrose or East Fife couldn't go up through the play offs or even still win the title so surely we can wait until June then decide on all the leagues

Start training mid may for 4 weeks then play Sat/Wed for 4/6 weeks and get finished by the end of June start of July then scrap the betfred group stages and play it as straight knockouts from August

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, East Fife is best said:

Nothing to say that Falkirk Airdrie Montrose or East Fife couldn't go up through the play offs or even still win the title so surely we can wait until June then decide on all the leagues

Start training mid may for 4 weeks then play Sat/Wed for 4/6 weeks and get finished by the end of June start of July then scrap the betfred group stages and play it as straight knockouts from August

 

There is absolutely no evidence to say that football training can begin again in mid May. We don't even know if we be allowed to leave our homes by then. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paco said:

It isn’t a no-brainer that teams in promotion play-off spots will vote against. Falkirk surely will, but there is absolutely no prospect of Montrose or Cowdenbeath (for example) being promoted or getting to play their play-off matches. It can’t and won’t happen. Certainty of prize money being released now should be of more value.

Obviously easy to point at the team I support and yes, selfishly I hope this goes through, but a team in 4th rejecting it has nothing to gain right now by doing so.

There’s also this segment to consider: “If the resolution is approved, the SPFL has also committed to consulting with Clubs over the possibility of League restructuring ahead of Season 2020/21”. Obviously hard to ask teams to vote with only vague commitments but it might get it over the line.

It all comes down to how open or otherwise the SPFL have made the possibility of finishing the season to the clubs,and how much clubs need the prize money now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

Nothing to say that Falkirk Airdrie Montrose or East Fife couldn't go up through the play offs or even still win the title so surely we can wait until June then decide on all the leagues

Start training mid may for 4 weeks then play Sat/Wed for 4/6 weeks and get finished by the end of June start of July then scrap the betfred group stages and play it as straight knockouts from August

The Sun (I know) article on this subject has A quote along the lines of ScotGov telling the SPFL to expect lockdown restrictions until at least 10th of June. I think that's the major issue. That's basically the start of next season's pre-season, and even then that's not a guarantee that mass spectator events will be back online at that time.

Edited by renton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The season cannot finish unless we wait until September/October (and that could be optimistic). Leaving aside the slew of practicalities associated with that, can we accept that clubs would virtually all be bust by then and focus on solutions?

 

The season will not finish. Mass events by the start of June ffs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d just wait and play the remaining games when it’s safe to do so and shorten the 2020/21 season appropriately. They could do 27 or even 18 games, then start again normally in August 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, East Fife is best said:

Can't see this being passed as would surely be unfair on East Fife Airdrie Falkirk and Montrose who could still win the title

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Donathan said:

I’d just wait and play the remaining games when it’s safe to do so and shorten the 2020/21 season appropriately. They could do 27 or even 18 games, then start again normally in August 2021

I suppose it then depends on how many clubs are left to compete at that point. I dont imagine this would be getting as far as a vote if a large number of lower league clubs weren't already clamouring for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paco said:

The season cannot finish unless we wait until September/October (and that could be optimistic). Leaving aside the slew of practicalities associated with that, can we accept that clubs would virtually all be bust by then and focus on solutions?

 

The season will not finish. Mass events by the start of June ffs.

 

 

I think this one won't get through, but adding more concrete league reconstruction will. 

If null and void is relatively off the table and the SPFL are against finishing the season id imagine we will see a resolution based somehow on current standings. Dangle enough of a carrot to allow 2nd place teams up and stopping relegation and it will breeze through IMO, and they may well end up doing that. 

Edited by CALDERON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d just wait and play the remaining games when it’s safe to do so and shorten the 2020/21 season appropriately. They could do 27 or even 18 games, then start again normally in August 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if we are looking at June before Lockdown is lifted and assuming a gradual return to normality, with various grades of businesses reopening several weeks apart to make sure we dont get another spike in infections, and assume that mass spectator events are the last thing to come back. 

That means probably the back end of July before football can come back. Then we need some kind of pre season after an abnormally long lay off, but call it six weeks to get players to the point where they are fit and not going to be injuring themselves. That's September. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This proposal is the best of a bad lot.

Null and voiding a season that is more than 75% complete just seems to me inconceivable, whilst prolonging the misery and intentionally messing around with Season 20/21 is equally unpalatable. Just call it now and try to draw some sort of line under this never-ending misery. The likes of Falkirk will probably mump a bit but they'll have next term to sort it out when a global pandemic isn't ravaging the planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think this one won't get through, but adding more concrete league reconstruction will. 
If null and void is relatively off the table and the SPFL are against finishing the season id imagine we will see a resolution based somehow on current standings. Dangle enough of a carrot to allow 2nd place teams up and stopping relegation and it will breeze through IMO, and they may well end up doing that. 


I would agree, but the fact we’re having the vote now says the season isn’t finishing. Suspect the route to winning is pretty much as you say, promote two and relegate none. Could hit an issue with the Premiership/Championship ups and downs though.

People on here saying ‘just wait and see’ obviously don’t need to worry about where their next wage will be coming from, or whether their employer will be around when government measures are relaxed. These are business with employees and bills to pay who need money now. If the season isn’t wound up the prize money/season ticket money clubs budget to receive come May doesn’t arrive. Clubs will unquestionably go out of business. I’d really hate to see this become a ‘survival of the fittest’ with Cove Rangers romping over the dead bodies to the Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’d just wait and play the remaining games when it’s safe to do so and shorten the 2020/21 season appropriately. They could do 27 or even 18 games, then start again normally in August 2021
So scrap 18 games to save 8? And how many clubs will be ok with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the unsuitability of this proposal, to a number of clubs,it would seem that the SPFL, by giving the clubs their money for season current placing, at least would ease some of their cash problems.

I doubt if anyone is  happy about this proposal but, such is the uncertainty in postponing it, for whatever reason,  would surely lead to an even worse situation for everyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, all 42 clubs get to vote on this, yes? And 75% need to vote in favour?

As I see it "definite" Nos would be Sevco, Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Brechin, so 5.

Possible Nos could be Inverness CT, Dundee, Ayr, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and maybe Stranraer, so 11.

Only need 6 of those 11 to vote "No" to scupper this, yes?

I think that there will be some horse trading going on, favours called in, a bit of "you vote for this for us and we'll vote for this for you" etc.

Bloody hope so anyway.

COYB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

So, all 42 clubs get to vote on this, yes? And 75% need to vote in favour?

As I see it "definite" Nos would be Sevco, Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Brechin, so 5.

Possible Nos could be Inverness CT, Dundee, Ayr, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and maybe Stranraer, so 11.

Only need 6 of those 11 to vote "No" to scupper this, yes?

I think that there will be some horse trading going on, favours called in, a bit of "you vote for this for us and we'll vote for this for you" etc.

Bloody hope so anyway.

COYB.

Why would Brechin be a definite no exactly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

So, all 42 clubs get to vote on this, yes? And 75% need to vote in favour?

As I see it "definite" Nos would be Sevco, Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Brechin, so 5.

Possible Nos could be Inverness CT, Dundee, Ayr, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and maybe Stranraer, so 11.

Only need 6 of those 11 to vote "No" to scupper this, yes?

I think that there will be some horse trading going on, favours called in, a bit of "you vote for this for us and we'll vote for this for you" etc.

Bloody hope so anyway.

COYB.

If there is no prospect of the season finishing, I think it won't make a huge difference to most of those possible no clubs as to which way this goes in footballing terms. Could well come down to finances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...