2019-20 how to conclude.

F*** Mr Cockwomble, we'll decide!  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

I’d just wait and play the remaining games when it’s safe to do so and shorten the 2020/21 season appropriately. They could do 27 or even 18 games, then start again normally in August 2021

I suppose it then depends on how many clubs are left to compete at that point. I dont imagine this would be getting as far as a vote if a large number of lower league clubs weren't already clamouring for the money.

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

The season cannot finish unless we wait until September/October (and that could be optimistic). Leaving aside the slew of practicalities associated with that, can we accept that clubs would virtually all be bust by then and focus on solutions?

The season will not finish. Mass events by the start of June ffs.

I think this one won't get through, but adding more concrete league reconstruction will. 

If null and void is relatively off the table and the SPFL are against finishing the season id imagine we will see a resolution based somehow on current standings. Dangle enough of a carrot to allow 2nd place teams up and stopping relegation and it will breeze through IMO, and they may well end up doing that. 

Edited by CALDERON

I think if we are looking at June before Lockdown is lifted and assuming a gradual return to normality, with various grades of businesses reopening several weeks apart to make sure we dont get another spike in infections, and assume that mass spectator events are the last thing to come back. 

That means probably the back end of July before football can come back. Then we need some kind of pre season after an abnormally long lay off, but call it six weeks to get players to the point where they are fit and not going to be injuring themselves. That's September. 

This proposal is the best of a bad lot.

Null and voiding a season that is more than 75% complete just seems to me inconceivable, whilst prolonging the misery and intentionally messing around with Season 20/21 is equally unpalatable. Just call it now and try to draw some sort of line under this never-ending misery. The likes of Falkirk will probably mump a bit but they'll have next term to sort it out when a global pandemic isn't ravaging the planet.

I think this one won't get through, but adding more concrete league reconstruction will. 
If null and void is relatively off the table and the SPFL are against finishing the season id imagine we will see a resolution based somehow on current standings. Dangle enough of a carrot to allow 2nd place teams up and stopping relegation and it will breeze through IMO, and they may well end up doing that. 

I would agree, but the fact we’re having the vote now says the season isn’t finishing. Suspect the route to winning is pretty much as you say, promote two and relegate none. Could hit an issue with the Premiership/Championship ups and downs though.

People on here saying ‘just wait and see’ obviously don’t need to worry about where their next wage will be coming from, or whether their employer will be around when government measures are relaxed. These are business with employees and bills to pay who need money now. If the season isn’t wound up the prize money/season ticket money clubs budget to receive come May doesn’t arrive. Clubs will unquestionably go out of business. I’d really hate to see this become a ‘survival of the fittest’ with Cove Rangers romping over the dead bodies to the Championship.

I’d just wait and play the remaining games when it’s safe to do so and shorten the 2020/21 season appropriately. They could do 27 or even 18 games, then start again normally in August 2021
So scrap 18 games to save 8? And how many clubs will be ok with that?

Despite the unsuitability of this proposal, to a number of clubs,it would seem that the SPFL, by giving the clubs their money for season current placing, at least would ease some of their cash problems.

I doubt if anyone is  happy about this proposal but, such is the uncertainty in postponing it, for whatever reason,  would surely lead to an even worse situation for everyone?

So, all 42 clubs get to vote on this, yes? And 75% need to vote in favour?

As I see it "definite" Nos would be Sevco, Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Brechin, so 5.

Possible Nos could be Inverness CT, Dundee, Ayr, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and maybe Stranraer, so 11.

Only need 6 of those 11 to vote "No" to scupper this, yes?

I think that there will be some horse trading going on, favours called in, a bit of "you vote for this for us and we'll vote for this for you" etc.

Bloody hope so anyway.

COYB.

4 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

As I see it "definite" Nos would be Sevco, Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and Brechin, so 5.

Possible Nos could be Inverness CT, Dundee, Ayr, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and maybe Stranraer, so 11.

I think that there will be some horse trading going on, favours called in, a bit of "you vote for this for us and we'll vote for this for you" etc.

Bloody hope so anyway.

COYB.

Why would Brechin be a definite no exactly? 

5 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Bloody hope so anyway.

COYB.

If there is no prospect of the season finishing, I think it won't make a huge difference to most of those possible no clubs as to which way this goes in footballing terms. Could well come down to finances. 

I was reading an article on Eusebio  and read about below, how times have changed, this was pre penalty kicks in place to finish a tied game.

It was an epic European Cup contest for Bill Shankly's men as, following three draws and even a postponement, nothing could separate the Reds and Cologne in March 1965.

Goals from Ian St John and Roger Hunt put Liverpool in the driving seat in the neutral venue of Feyenoord FC, Rotterdam - but Cologne came back to 2-2.

After 300 minutes of football, including another gruelling period of extra-time, the outcome was to be decided by the toss of a coin, and even then it wasn't as straightforward as people think.

Referee Robert Schaut from Belgium was the man at the centre of attention as Yeats and Cologne skipper Wolfgang Overath approached the centre circle

Reflecting on the incident, Yeats said: "I got in first to the referee and said 'I'll have tails'. Lucky for me the referee said, 'OK. Liverpool tails, Cologne heads.'

"Up it went and it stuck in a divot. I said to the referee, 'Ref, you're going to have to retoss the coin'. And he went 'You're right, Mr Yeats.'

"I thought the German captain was going to hit him. He was going berserk because it was falling over on the heads. He picked it up, up it went again, and came down tails.

"We were coming off and who is standing there but Bill Shankly. I was first off the pitch and he went 'Well done, big man. I am proud of you. What did you pick?'

"I said 'I picked tails, boss'. I was waiting for the adulation but he just went 'I would have picked tails myself' and walked away."

Local reporter Horace Yates from the Liverpool Daily Post termed it 'the most amazing finish I have ever seen or am ever likely to see in football'. 

In the current situation we would be lucky to finish the 36 games let alone play-offs on top of this. 

From a selfish point of you I hope some of the clubs in the play-off slots are needing the cash to continue to stay afloat rather than clinging onto the possibility of playing up to the 36 games and the play-offs on top of that. This could get voted down, but then what next? The league can say we’ll do we just play to the 36 games and no play offs? One goes up. Would people then be happy with that? I’m guessing not. 

I just think that in the situation we are in, with the country (UK ) set to overtake Italy in the death tolls for Covid-19 that there is no way the season can be played to a finish. 

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Just can't see them happy to drop down to the Highland League / Lowland League or wherever they would be placed.

There will be no pyramid playoff under this proposal, so Brechin would stay up. 

It would not affect us for the current season,, my main concern would be when/if reconstruction came part of it, if they tried to move B/Colt teams into the league I would no longer be supporting a league team & would go to local Highland League or Junior team on a Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

No.

Sevco know they can’t catch Celtic and they get a nice sum, vote yes on a secret ballot...open ballot toss-up. Hearts and Partick are no. Falkirk are an unknown, the prize money for second helps, and as they feel they have a real chance (but there’s no assurance), are likely a no. Brechin, as that is configured, vote yes because they avoid relegation. So that is 2 hard no’s, 1 probably no, 1 possible low and 1 yes.

Of all the others, I see no clubs that are likely or probable no, most would be yes. The simple fact is the vast majority of those teams will make a hard nosed business decision to take prize money now and have the next season start relatively on time for income assurance. Montrose, Airdrie and East Fife all clearly recognize they would have to beat a couple of teams that are at least as good as them to progress, if the season was played to conclusion. They might regain their best form and win, or they might lose...better the bird in the hand (prize money) than two in the bush. The other “playoff teams” face similar calculations.

Honest estimate, because this means cash now for the teams, 4-6 of the 11 necessary votes no on a secret ballot, 8-10 on an open ballot. Note that even on a open ballot, the fringe teams will have talked and agreed on not enough voting no to sink it.

I suspect that the actual realignment has been mooted and worked out already in secrecy, to be rolled out for “debate” after this passes. The pressure to vote yes for the realignment increases if it helps your team.