2019-20 how to conclude.

F*** Mr Cockwomble, we'll decide!  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, sorry was just pissing around out of boredom. I don't know the answer, but if they were to say no money would be dished out this season as the season is void then I'd expect the prize money pot for next season to be considerably larger. Clubs need money now though so I expect clubs to request prize money based on current positions.

But that puts the argument back to square one. If you give the pay outs based on current league position then why not the league? teams would have the same argument over what ifs and buts as league positions could make quite a difference financially.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, sorry was just pissing around out of boredom. I don't know the answer, but if they were to say no money would be dished out this season as the season is void then I'd expect the prize money pot for next season to be considerably larger. Clubs need money now though so I expect clubs to request prize money based on current positions.

Yeah, my presumption was that there are two things preventing them chucking the whole thing in the bin right now.

1. From our clubs points of view, legality and contractual obligations surrounding prize money.

2. If the season never finished, and no one technically finished top how do they sort out who'd be in line for European club duty the season after? Would UEFA swallow whatever contrivance the SPFL came up with?

24 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, my presumption was that there are two things preventing them chucking the whole thing in the bin right now.

1. From our clubs points of view, legality and contractual obligations surrounding prize money.

2. If the season never finished, and no one technically finished top how do they sort out who'd be in line for European club duty the season after? Would UEFA swallow whatever contrivance the SPFL came up with?

I could be wrong on this, but there's nothing stopping the SPFL (other than the backlash they'd receive) putting forward whoever they want for European competitions. It's just that we normally give them to the teams who finish highest in the league (or win the cup in the old days). I'm not sure UEFA give a shit who represents us.

The prize money thing is definitely another curveball, spot on has a point above that teams will argue if they can give prize money for positions they can give other rewards for positions too. It's going to require compromise, perhaps a percentage of the prize money dished out on current positions rather than the full whack, anything left over then added to next seasons pot.

After much deliberation, f**k my idea of 14/14/14 and just nul and void the season so Falkirk and Raith have to take another seasons hit in "the seaside league" [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Your idea was brilliant, the top 4 teams go up. Airdrie and East Fife definitely deserve to be there. It’ll be disappointing if it was just 2 clubs going up as I feel EF and Airdrie has a sporting chance at the title.

17 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Which clubs will be able to afford legal action after this? Can't imagine that's going to be a huge list. 

In some cases the clubs involved, this will be the last roll of the dice to stay away from administration/manageable debt.

The null and void does appear to the option that will be used as you are only pissing off current teams in top place.

The Highland league is the only one who have awarded the league, with no relegation makes it so much easier.

59 minutes ago, renton said:

There possibly could be no European competitions, the qualifying rounds start in July, the current European competition isn't complete, so I can see them definitely completing that as a priority.

They could make a one off competition out of previous winners instead of trying to make something out of disarray we have if there is time to do so.

Tho the current champions League usually has a team who weren't champions, so whatever happens won't surprise anyone.

35 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Your idea was brilliant, the top 4 teams go up. Airdrie and East Fife definitely deserve to be there. It’ll be disappointing if it was just 2 clubs going up as I feel EF and Airdrie has a sporting chance at the title.

Well, top 4 would be Rovers, Falkirk, Airdrie and Montrose, no?

Edited by renton

Wimbledon cancelled today as well which would suggest that we’re highly unlikely to see any action before August at least. UEFA have also said that leagues must be finished before 3rd August so the leagues won’t be finished. That’s one option gone.

Courtesy of one of the rags.

SPFL rules apperently say final prize money cant be paid out until season is done and dusted

Null and void could possibly see the SPFLhaving to give the main sponsors their money back..By all accounts there is zero chance  null and void is an option as financial risks of litigation from sponsors too great

Call the season on existing standings has the most support within Hampden

If that is indeed correct, we should consider what Celtic and Sevco want, because that’s what will be decided. Sevco will take second and demand an asterisk be attached to the results, just so they can get the cash. Celtic will demand current standings to get the 9 in a row and the money, and will accept the asterisk and ignore it.

Hearts will cause trouble, and other top tier teams will accede to their demands to not be relegated when the OF agrees with them.

Any expansion of the Premiership will endanger having four OF games next year and is a non-starter, especially as running a “normal” season will likely require a number of mid-week games. The (twistedly most) logical thing is results as stands and NO promotion or relegation.

This will also pave the way for Celtic (and possibly) Rangers to represent in UEFA, as needed, depending on their plans and how they change.

Dundee and Cove simply don’t have the connections and money to fight it, and Falkirk and Raith have made it clear that they don’t agree on anything. Brora and Kelty just don’t matter, in the minds of the OF and the leaders. There is also the faint hope that a team or three will close their tent, and that then teams can be moved to fill the holes based upon the “results” without the who gets promotion and who doesn’t fight, because the results will have been “agreed upon”, though only losing one would leave a tricky decision between Brora and Kelty.

If that is indeed correct, we should consider what Celtic and Sevco want, because that’s what will be decided. Sevco will take second and demand an asterisk be attached to the results, just so they can get the cash. Celtic will demand current standings to get the 9 in a row and the money, and will accept the asterisk and ignore it.

All these asterisks is going to get very confusing. So Celtic* will have a different meaning to Rangers*?

Dundee and Cove simply don’t have the connections and money to fight it, and Falkirk and Raith have made it clear that they don’t agree on anything. Brora and Kelty just don’t matter, in the minds of the OF and the leaders. There is also the faint hope that a team or three will close their tent, and that then teams can be moved to fill the holes based upon the “results” without the who gets promotion and who doesn’t fight, because the results will have been “agreed upon”, though only losing one would leave a tricky decision between Brora and Kelty.

Why Kelty when Bonnyrigg could also win?

13 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Courtesy of one of the rags.

SPFL rules apperently say final prize money cant be paid out until season is done and dusted

Null and void could possibly see the SPFLhaving to give the main sponsors their money back..By all accounts there is zero chance  null and void is an option as financial risks of litigation from sponsors too great

Call the season on existing standings has the most support within Hampden

Scottish Rugby don't seem to have a problem with sponsors looking for money back, they've just voided the season. I think folk are throwing up reasons that don't exist here.

13 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

The SPFL could easily amend the rules to give out prize money, based on whatever system gets enough support to pass.

I've seen absolutely nothing about sponsorship money from anyone who isn't also pushing for calling the season with current standings. Unless there are some very specific and weird clause in the sponsorship contracts, it's incredibly unlikely that a sponsors position would be 'null and void - i want my money back / call as is - great stuff lads, keep all the money, worth every penny'. If it is then these people would genuinely be complete morons.

Wimbledon cancelled today as well which would suggest that we’re highly unlikely to see any action before August at least. UEFA have also said that leagues must be finished before 3rd August so the leagues won’t be finished. That’s one option gone.

The 3rd August date came from a Dutch FA spokesman, and UEFA immediately denied that was the case. They haven't put any fixed date on it.

Found this as one of the proposal for reconstruction basically 2 league 1 split into North and South, we also have the joy of 2 COLT sides joining the leagues worst format yet so you can guarantee the 2 arsecheeks will allow it.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/spfl-reconstruction-how-14-team-scottish-premiership-and-revamped-lower-leagues-will-look-2519779

Any alterations to the existing league set-up would need overwhelming support from member clubs, requiring at least 11 Premiership clubs to back the move along with a majority of clubs down the divisions.

There will be four tiers in the new structure – Premiership 1, Premiership 2, Championship and the same-level League 1 North and League 1 South. Here’s how reconstruction may look...

Premiership reshuffle

Scottish football's top tier will start with 14 teams who play 26 matches i.e. clubs face each other home and away before a mid-season break at the end of January.

The division then splits into the top eight teams – Premiership 1 – who will play each other home and away resulting in a 40-game season.

The bottom six teams will then be joined by the top two teams in the Championship to create the Premiership 2. The eight teams will also play a further 14 games to complete a 40-game season for all clubs barring the two promoted Championship teams, who will play 36.

A league trophy will be presented to the champions.

Championship structure

The Championship will have 12 teams in what the SPFL is calling the pre-split phase, who will play each other home and away. After each club has played 22 games, the top two teams are promoted at the split and join the bottom six Premiership clubs to create Premiership 2. 

The remaining ten Championship clubs play a further two times with the champions winning the league trophy and the tenth-placed team being relegated.

In terms of play-offs, the Championship winners will play the team finishing second bottom in Premiership 2, while the Championship runners-up will play the team finishing third bottom in Premiership 2. The winning teams from both ties will contest a play-off final. The team finishing second-last in the Championship (ninth) will play-off with the League 1 runner-up.

League 1 overhaul

The remaining teams will see significant change in the lower reaches of the SPFL, with two same-step leagues created and named League 1 North and League 1 South.

It is hoped that by regionalising the divisions, it will reduce travel costs and create more derby matches.

There are four remaining spaces for clubs in the new League 1 structure. The SPFL has already indicated that one team each will be bumped up from the Highland League and Lowland League, with the remaining two slots going to Premiership “colt” teams, or a second member of the Highland League and Lowland League.

The teams in both League 1 divisions will play each other four times, resulting in a 36-game season. Play-offs will then be held to decide automatic promotion to the Championship.

The League 1 North winners will face the League 1 South runners-up, with the League 1 North runners-up facing the League 1 South winners.

The two winning team will then contest a play-off final, with the winners being automatically promoted and the losing finalists playing the second-bottom Championship team.

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

Found this as one of the proposal for reconstruction basically 2 league 1 split into North and South, we also have the joy of 2 COLT sides joining the leagues worst format yet so you can guarantee the 2 arsecheeks will allow it.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/spfl-reconstruction-how-14-team-scottish-premiership-and-revamped-lower-leagues-will-look-2519779

Sounds absolutely fucking shite, tbf.

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Sounds absolutely fucking shite, tbf.

Totally agree with you which is probably why they will go for it as it includes the 2 arsecheeks getting their colt teams in

On the issue of prize money, there looks like only 2 options. It gets split evenly amongst every team in the division. Or, it is split between the current standings in the table. The 2nd seems the fairest, given the teams at the top have suffered the most, then again what happens in divisions where teams have played different amounts of games?

Also think the challenge cup final could be carried over, as a kind of season opener, like the charity shield. Maybe give it more attention, and a larger crowd, can only help the two involved? 

Edited by Life on Marrs?