Your favourite away game

You're not wrong. 
The title was effectively over by the end of that month, it's a shame the title race didn't go on longer, felt like it was going to be a great battle at the start of the season. 

Especially after our win at EEP. It had all the making of a decent title race.

Whilst we should’ve won the league far more comfortably than we did in 17/18 it was genuinely entertaining and both sets of fans had moments where they thought their team had thrown it away.

That win at Ayr was great, and it was verfy amusing when several Ayr fans started greeting on here that we'd celebrated so enthusiastically. Imagine, a wild celebration after a huge away win with 10 men.

My favourite was the Scottish Cup quarter final replay at Pittodrie in 2009. We'd played quite well in the home game, but once Aberdeen went in front they should have gone on to win but became much more defensive and let us back into it. We got an equaliser and the replay was the following Wednesday on Sky. It was probably an atrocious game for anyone without a care for either club, but being at the game with a really good atmostphere in the away end made it a great night. It finished 0-0 and went to penalties, I think with barely a chance of note in 120 mins. Paul Gallacher saved two while we scored all of ours - Graham Bayne put away the 4th one to win it. I have two memories of extremely trivial details - the trip home was almost silent with everyone knackered, and the last few miles I drove home on my own ended with 'I Only Want to be with You' by Dusty Springfield on the radio, which now always reminds me of that game whenever I hear it. It was only the second time in our whole history that we'd been level after a replay - only one game in the 60s went to a second replay and this was our first Scottish Cup tie to go to penalties.

9 minutes ago, Socks said:

That win at Ayr was great, and it was verfy amusing when several Ayr fans started greeting on here that we'd celebrated so enthusiastically. Imagine, a wild celebration after a huge away win with 10 men.

My favourite was the Scottish Cup quarter final replay at Pittodrie in 2009. We'd played quite well in the home game, but once Aberdeen went in front they should have gone on to win but became much more defensive and let us back into it. We got an equaliser and the replay was the following Wednesday on Sky. It was probably an atrocious game for anyone without a care for either club, but being at the game with a really good atmostphere in the away end made it a great night. It finished 0-0 and went to penalties, I think with barely a chance of note in 120 mins. Paul Gallacher saved two while we scored all of ours - Graham Bayne put away the 4th one to win it. I have two memories of extremely trivial details - the trip home was almost silent with everyone knackered, and the last few miles I drove home on my own ended with 'I Only Want to be with You' by Dusty Springfield on the radio, which now always reminds me of that game whenever I hear it. It was only the second time in our whole history that we'd been level after a replay - only one game in the 60s went to a second replay and this was our first Scottish Cup tie to go to penalties.

What a trip that was, tops off everywhere. 

Loved both those games. 

The Aberdeen tie is soured for me by how poor we were against Falkirk at Hampden in the semi-final.
Christ man I never want to remember that game but its crept up in my mind a lot recently as it was around the time of the swine flu pandemic and I was, until recently, drawing comparisons between then and out situation now.

Absolutely shambolic, feel it was a pretty pivotal moment in us getting to the SPl 2 years later though.

12 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

The Aberdeen tie is soured for me by how poor we were against Falkirk at Hampden in the semi-final.

A terrible performance. Can't remember us even creating one decent chance. Think Bayne might have had a shot but that is as far as I can remember?

Jamie fucking Mole on the wing. Jesus wept. 

Shite crowd as well. 18,000 for the biggest game between the clubs (probably) ever. 

Edited by DAFC.

And  they tried to keep the Pars fans in after the game even though Falkirk were winning comfortably. Mental. 
Totally forgot about that, absolute mayhem up the top of the stand with 3 stewards trying to keep about s thousand pars fans leaving 1 of the exits [emoji23]

52 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Totally forgot about that, absolute mayhem up the top of the stand with 3 stewards trying to keep about s thousand pars fans leaving 1 of the exits emoji23.png

And when we got out there was a police cordon.  Which forced you about 50 yards up the hill.

Police tried to blame fans for that shambles as pars fans had disgracefully approached the ground from the east. 

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Not one in particular but I always enjoy an away day at Stranraer. There’s been a few memorable games down there over the years! and a good chippy as well 

Presumably we're on about the same one but there is indeed an excellent chippy in Stranraer (Starfish I think).

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That’s the one 👍

Well placed as well. Near the train station and the two best carry out options (Tesco and the Spar at the petrol station; Spar is better as the beer is chilled).

Lovely getting a fish supper from Starfish, picking up some beers for the train then strolling along to the station eating said chippy. The train always sits there early too (it doesn't have anywhere else to go!) so the option is there to finish off your chippy if it's cold out. If not then it's nice to look out over the sea eating it's fruits.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Well placed as well. Near the train station and the two best carry out options (Tesco and the Spar at the petrol station; Spar is better as the beer is chilled).

Lovely getting a fish supper from Starfish, picking up some beers for the train then strolling along to the station eating said chippy. The train always sits there early too (it doesn't have anywhere else to go!) so the option is there to finish off your chippy if it's cold out. If not then it's nice to look out over the sea eating it's fruits.

The Morrisons near the ground as well is decent. Way better and bigger than the Tesco there! 

Next time you’re down there you’ll see that they’ve moved the takeaway to the premise so next door so it isn’t so cramped! It’s a lovely walk down to the train station (when it isn’t peeing it down). Damn I’m misty eyed for Stranraer now 😂

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The Morrisons near the ground as well is decent. Way better and bigger than the Tesco there! 

Next time you’re down there you’ll see that they’ve moved the takeaway to the premise so next door so it isn’t so cramped! It’s a lovely walk down to the train station (when it isn’t peeing it down). Damn I’m misty eyed for Stranraer now 😂

Aye saw that when I was down in November for the cup game.

The Stranraer social club is a decent place but The Pub is a great bar. Great drinks selection and cracking juke box.

Yeah, getting misty eyed for Stranraer as well!

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye saw that when I was down in November for the cup game.

The Stranraer social club is a decent place but The Pub is a great bar. Great drinks selection and cracking juke box.

Yeah, getting misty eyed for Stranraer as well!

The Grapes was good when I went in when Twente were there for a friendly a few seasons back. Lots of Dutch fans were there and it was a good atmosphere. Not sure what it would be like on a normal game day though 😂

I might take a drive down there for a “day trip” when lockdown is over! 

Normal game day can be a decent atmosphere, mainly because so many folk have a good booze down since it's a long trip for most teams! Can evaporate at the game a bit if you're behind the goal and spread out. Probably depends on how your team is doing. We were fucking hideously bad in November so what started as a few songs/chants turned to grumbles then vicious booing and insults at full time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Axle Grease

Away days are good at Ayr. Both Dens and Tannadice as well. Dumfries is decent as well as you can have a decent drink given the journey time. 

Love any away day in Dunfermline or Kirkcaldy - both excellent provincial towns whose fans I can associate with win or lose.....at the pub especially.  Like their grounds too even if we haven't always done well there. A bit like the Stranraer comment above, just a good football feeling when I'm in either town.