Your favourite away game

We’re not going to get any football for a while folks and don’t even have transfer rumours to keep us entertained like during the summer.

With that in mind, I need some reading material on this forum, so please be so kind as to regale me your tales of brilliant away days. Could be an important win or dramatic game or just a great day out with your mates.

Extra points for creative flair and liberal use of paragraphs 👍🏼 I’ll post my own later when I’ve had a think

Brechin City 1-2 Ayr United - Playoff Final 2nd Leg (2010-11)

After a 1-1 draw at Somerset in the 1st Leg of the final, it was a winner takes all game at Glebe Park in Brechin to reach the 2nd tier having been relegated from there the previous season. The sun was shining, the hedge was gleaming, and there was segregation in place to separate the healthy home crowd from the 1,600 Ayr fans in the away end. The mood was buoyant and the atmosphere was bouncing.

Image_07_jpg.jpg

Until Jonny Tiffoney (Beast) decided to pass the ball into his own net to give Brechin a 1-0 lead just before half-time.

Image_07_jpg.jpg

The second half was dominated by Ayr as Brian Reid's gallant troops pressed for an equaliser. Craig Nelson in the Brechin goal was pulling off saves that defied all sorts of scientific laws, until Mark Roberts stepped up with 13 minutes to go with a goal that only he could have scored. Dropped a shoulder and left Nelson on his arse, then rifled home into the empty net. HWFG.

Image_20_jpg.jpg

The final 10 minutes are a total blank to me, I can't recall whether we dominated or whether things seemed to be destined for extra time. The clock read 88 minutes when Michael Moffat found himself through on goal, one-on-one with Craig Nelson. Hearts were in mouths. Bang. Through Nelson's legs. Cue what the kids call 'scenes'.

Image_21_jpg.jpg

Image_17_jpg.jpg

Managed to hold on for the final few minutes and we were up. Glorious pitch invasion and a party in the sun.

Image_22_jpg.jpg

Image_22_jpg.jpg

Did we get relegated the very next season? Of course we f***ing did.

24 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

After a 1-1 draw at Somerset in the 1st Leg of the final, it was a winner takes all game at Glebe Park in Brechin to reach the 2nd tier having been relegated from there the previous season. The sun was shining, the hedge was gleaming, and there was segregation in place to separate the healthy home crowd from the 1,600 Ayr fans in the away end. The mood was buoyant and the atmosphere was bouncing.

Image_07_jpg.jpg

Until Jonny Tiffoney (Beast) decided to pass the ball into his own net to give Brechin a 1-0 lead just before half-time.

Image_07_jpg.jpg

The second half was dominated by Ayr as Brian Reid's gallant troops pressed for an equaliser. Craig Nelson in the Brechin goal was pulling off saves that defied all sorts of scientific laws, until Mark Roberts stepped up with 13 minutes to go with a goal that only he could have scored. Dropped a shoulder and left Nelson on his arse, then rifled home into the empty net. HWFG.

Image_20_jpg.jpg

The final 10 minutes are a total blank to me, I can't recall whether we dominated or whether things seemed to be destined for extra time. The clock read 88 minutes when Michael Moffat found himself through on goal, one-on-one with Craig Nelson. Hearts were in mouths. Bang. Through Nelson's legs. Cue what the kids call 'scenes'.

Image_21_jpg.jpg

Image_17_jpg.jpg

Managed to hold on for the final few minutes and we were up. Glorious pitch invasion and a party in the sun.

Image_22_jpg.jpg

Image_22_jpg.jpg

Did we get relegated the very next season? Of course we f***ing did.

Haha @Hawk89 looking full on shook at that own goal and I look like I'm going to be sick. 

7th of November 2009. 

Raith Rovers v Dunfermline, whataday. 

Got shitters before we even got on the train that was absolutely rammers for the first Fife Derby in Kirkcaldy since 2000? More drinking on the train, crowd gets off at Kirkcaldy, down to the High Street and then we walked the wrong fucking way, more singing making the way back up the high street in the correct direction before everyone jumped into various pubs, I fired into the Penny Farthing with my mates and got sold my first ever pint, had bought it just as we were leaving so it wouldn't matter much if I got booted, a glorious moment. 

At about half 2ish everyone started to fire upto the ground on a march, about halfway down Pratt Street? Raith fans jumped out a pub and started launching fireworks everywhere like it was Guy Fawkes night, bottles getting launched, pwapa nawty. 

Eventually make it into the ground and it's a healthy pars support, well oiled, very decent atmosphere. Raith go ahead in the first half through an offside goal, Dunfermline are playing alright though but can't score. 

Until about midway through the second when Bayne sinks a beautiful header into the corner, scenes. 1-1 and it's all to play for. 

Times running out and a beautiful move down the right hand side sees a cross fired in, David Graham and ex par Craig Wilson slide in, the ex Dunfermline scores an own goal in the 90th minute to send the away end into scenes/limbs, glorious. 

In the grand scheme of things it didn't matter much, no titles, promotions or trophys, for me though, getting served my first pint underage, the fracas beforehand and the atmosphere make it a memorable one. We've played Raith loads since then and genuinely I haven't remembered one so clearly, I knew the exact date of this one, the scorers etc without looking it up. 

Edited after watching the highlights :- I had forgotten though just how many chances we had, the clearence of the line and Baynes header in the first half I thought were going in, those near misses only built up the anticipation though. 

Our second goal really is beautifully worked.

And after the final whistle Raith fans walking past the away end were absolutely seeeeeeeeeething. 

Edited by Grant228

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Haha @Hawk89 looking full on shook at that own goal and I look like I'm going to be sick. 

Mind nearly binning the motor on the A90 on the way home due to the crosswinds caused by the scarfs out the window. Didn't see that car for days after once I remembered where I was parked/abandoned, some day / night out.  100% up there as one of the best as an Ayr fan. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

7th of November 2009. 

Got shitters before we even got on the train that was absolutely rammers for the first Fife Derby in Kirkcaldy since 2000? More drinking on the train, crowd gets off at Kirkcaldy, down to the High Street and then we walked the wrong fucking way, more singing making the way back up the high street in the correct direction before everyone jumped into various pubs, I fired into the Penny Farthing with my mates and got sold my first ever pint, had bought it just as we were leaving so it wouldn't matter much if I got booted, a glorious moment. 

At about half 2ish everyone started to fire upto the ground on a march, about halfway down Pratt Street? Raith fans jumped out a pub and started launching fireworks everywhere like it was Guy Fawkes night, bottles getting launched, pwapa nawty. 

Eventually make it into the ground and it's a healthy pars support, well oiled, very decent atmosphere. Raith go ahead in the first half through an offside goal, Dunfermline are playing alright though but can't score. 

Until about midway through the second when Bayne sinks a beautiful header into the corner, scenes. 1-1 and it's all to play for. 

Times running out and a beautiful move down the right hand side sees a cross fired in, David Graham and ex par Craig Wilson slide in, the ex Dunfermline scores an own goal in the 90th minute to send the away end into scenes/limbs, glorious. 

In the grand scheme of things it didn't matter much, no titles, promotions or trophys, for me though, getting served my first pint underage, the fracas beforehand and the atmosphere make it a memorable one. We've played Raith loads since then and genuinely I haven't remembered one so clearly, I knew the exact date of this one, the scorers etc without looking it up. 

Edited after watching the highlights :- I had forgotten though just how many chances we had, the clearence of the line and Baynes header in the first half I thought were going in, those near misses only built up the anticipation though. 

And after the final whistle Raith fans walking past the away end were absolutely seeeeeeeeeething. 

Loved that game, I was stood near the baldy roided up steward who was seething and mouthing "fannies" all the game. I was working next to Darren Smith at the time, he told me on the Monday one of the Pars players, David Graham maybe, gave him a full force elbow in the face and laughed about it. The sight of the pissed off wee team fans trudging up Pratt Street was glorious, and I believe this was after that game

A recent one I remember fondly was the trip up to Dingwall on a Tuesday night at the end of the 2017-18 season. It was our 2nd last game of the season. Three days before we were well into a relegation battle, being behind Hamilton on GD, 3 Pts above Partick and 5 above County with 9 Pts to play for. We went and got a big win over Accies at Dens (god bless Elliott Parish for his penalty save) that made it more comfortable, but the nerves were still there as it's Dundee we're talking about. We can f**k up at any time, at any place.

The journey up to Dingwall was murder, on a shitty bus with arguments the whole way up. Once we got there though, I really enjoyed my short but lovely time in the wee town while the weather was really nice. Got to Victoria Park, cracking pie, good atmosphere, and a Simon Murray goal that absolutely put our nerves to rest. There's no more relaxed feeling than when you know you're safe. Met up with a couple of mates at the game, and got a nice ride back down without having to go on that bus. Not a particularly famous day, but one I still remember fondly.

6 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Image_07_jpg.jpg

Image_07_jpg.jpg

Image_20_jpg.jpg

Image_21_jpg.jpg

How young does moffat look? 

4 hours ago, Grant228 said:

7th of November 2009. 

Gibson when he fancied it was an absolute delight,

I like a few on here grew up in an era where there wasn't fife derby games.  As a kid i first thought of st mirren as rivals, then hearts and finally falkirk showed up and we began to get a taste of a proper derby where it wasn't just the importance of the game in league position but that winning mattered on its own right.   Rovers didn't even enter my head until about 9 months prior when they looked like they might come up.   Even at 2 that day I didn't really get it, it was a nice day with a good crowd and that was all. Come 5 I sure as f**k got it and ever since i've got the derby day nerves on match day. There's nothing like it.

Any win at either starks or TFS is always remembered fondly, the one mentioned above takes some beating. Although we beat them 3 times in 2018 at their park, the 2 away wins in 18/19 against falkirk were about the only highlights of that entire season. I really wanted that team to do well so both meant a lot at the time.

One of the most memorable for me was when we played dundee united away and it was torrential rain all day. My dad thought that we would be put in the away end and it was uncovered so he took us to the fair play enclosure which was beside the shed end.
I was only eight or so and George O'Boyle scored an absolute peach of an overhead kick and I celebrated as if I was in the pars end. Next thing theres 1000 or so people giving me daggers and my dad telling me to shoosh.
Game postponed not much after half time.
Still reckon it's the best quality goal I've seen at tannadice.

Dumbarton  V Alloa playoff win 2018 stands out 

Alloa players clebrate with crowd  during the Dumbarton v Alloa Scottish Championship Playoff Final Second Leg 13 May 2018Alloa  Neil Parry celebrates at end of the game  during the Dumbarton v Alloa Scottish Championship Playoff Final Second Leg 13 May 2018Alloa win the playoffs during the Dumbarton v Alloa Scottish Championship Playoff Final Second Leg 13 May 2018

As a regular awayday   Dunfermline  stands out,  good parking for the bike , ( The attendant waves me in through the cones for some reason,  top fella ) into the Valley on the tannoy , good grub 

and a decent result most of the time , whats not to like  ? .

Off the top of my head, I guess technically it was a neutral venue but away from us. 

Dunfermline vs Inverness in the 2004 Cup Semi Final. 

Big support up the road to Pittodrie, a good hard fought game and THAT goal from Barry Nic. Put us in the cup final and into Europe. 

Dunfermline 1 Meadowbank Thistle 3 c1989

"Meadowbank are a stuffy side" wrote Jim Leishman in the programme notes and tbf we usually were. However Terry Christie outfoxed him, we attacked from the off and were 3-0 up by half time. The Pars got a late consolation goal but what made it a special day was 1) East End Park is a good venue and there was a sizeable Pars crowd that day 2) we won 3) it was a sunny day and 4) most of the Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club arrived from the pub when we were 3-0 up having missed the goals- "What's the score?" "We're winning 3-0" "Aw, you're joking!". :lol:

Ayr United 1-2 Dunfermline Athletic (Saturday 12th December 2015)

My memory isn't too well, but I believe we were level on points at the top with Ayr going in to this game, with them still having a game in hand, so this game was going to prove pivotal. We all knew the Pars had a fantastic team and should be steamrolling the league, but Ayr went on some fantastic winning runs, including beating us at EEP, and proved that this title wasn't going to be a walkover. 

I can remember a game a few weeks previous to this one, where we drew 1-1 with Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill, with Ayr continuing their winning run. In the pub after, a good few of us Pars fans' bums were twitching about potentially being in League 1 for another season. Surely not? 

I loaded up a carry out and headed on the train down myself. I was due to go with a couple of mates but they took not well. f**k it, I said, I'll just go on my own. So I did. And what a day I had. 

There was a decent amount of Pars fans there for a freezing December night. The Pars had flirted with the goal early on, and Fleming in goals for Ayr looked really dodgy. Michael Moffat looked to have been brought down in the box, however he was judged to have dived. He was given a yellow card. Up to this point he was still to score against his former employers. LAter on, there was no doubt about this foul, as Gerry McLauchlan halved him in two outside the box. McLauchlan deservedly given a yellow card. Cheesy McAusland almost stabbed the ball in the net from the resulting dead ball. We were well on top. The breakthrough finally came when Fais back-heeling Paton in down the right wing, Paton crossed the ball in, and there was that man Moffat on the end of it to head past Fleming. Great scenes.

Brought back to Earth not more than 2 minutes later as Gerry McLauchlan, who resembled an albino clone of Sloth from the Goonies, headed past Murdoch. Game back on. I think Ayr started to come on top before the break and they had a really, really good chance to go 2-1 up but they couldn't find a finish. At half time we were still optimistic of a win.

Second half starts off in the worst possible way with Joe Cardle, our key man, being sent off. We were really up against it. It was constant Ayr attack, although I don't think they overly troubled Murdoch. He was called in to question a few times, but the saves were pretty routine. Under 20 minutes after going down to ten men, our pace with Fais and Hopkirk hit Ayr on a counter, and Hopkirk found himself in a 1 on 1 situation, rounds the goalkeeper, and puts it in to an empty net. Glorious scenes.

After a barrage of Ayr attacks, we came through on the other side with all 3 points. At that point I knew that we meant business and the League was back in our hands again. Losing in that manner must have made you sick as a dog if you were an Ayr fan, though.

I purchased a Blue MD out the off license on the way back to the station for the train home. Train as rammed with Pars fans with similar ideas and the banter and good times were on the go the full journey home. I ended up absolutely pished that night. Brilliant!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35014295

Edited by DAFC.

My memory isn't too well, but I believe we were level on points at the top with Ayr going in to this game, with them still having a game in hand, so this game was going to prove pivotal. We all knew the Pars had a fantastic team and should be steamrolling the league, but Ayr went on some fantastic winning runs, including beating us at EEP, and proved that this title wasn't going to be a walkover. 
I can remember a game a few weeks previous to this one, where we drew 1-1 with Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill, with Ayr continuing their winning run. In the pub after, a good few of us Pars fans' bums were twitching about potentially being in League 1 for another season. Surely not? 
I loaded up a carry out and headed on the train down myself. I was due to go with a couple of mates but they took not well. f**k it, I said, I'll just go on my own. So I did. And what a day I had. 
There was a decent amount of Pars fans there for a freezing December night. The Pars had flirted with the goal early on, and Fleming in goals for Ayr looked really dodgy. Michael Moffat looked to have been brought down in the box, however he was judged to have dived. He was given a yellow card. Up to this point he was still to score against his former employers. LAter on, there was no doubt about this foul, as Gerry McLauchlan halved him in two outside the box. McLauchlan deservedly given a yellow card. Cheesy McAusland almost stabbed the ball in the net from the resulting dead ball. We were well on top. The breakthrough finally came when Fais back-heeling Paton in down the right wing, Paton crossed the ball in, and there was that man Moffat on the end of it to head past Fleming. Great scenes.
Brought back to Earth not more than 2 minutes later as Gerry McLauchlan, who resembled an albino clone of Sloth from the Goonies, headed past Murdoch. Game back on. I think Ayr started to come on top before the break and they had a really, really good chance to go 2-1 up but they couldn't find a finish. At half time we were still optimistic of a win.
Second half starts off in the worst possible way with Joe Cardle, our key man, being sent off. We were really up against it. It was constant Ayr attack, although I don't think they overly troubled Murdoch. He was called in to question a few times, but the saves were pretty routine. Under 20 minutes after going down to ten men, our pace with Fais and Hopkirk hit Ayr on a counter, and Hopkirk found himself in a 1 on 1 situation, rounds the goalkeeper, and puts it in to an empty net. Glorious scenes.
After a barrage of Ayr attacks, we came through on the other side with all 3 points. At that point I knew that we meant business and the League was back in our hands again. Losing in that manner must have made you sick as a dog if you were an Ayr fan, though.
I purchased a Blue MD out the off license on the way back to the station for the train home. Train as rammed with Pars fans with similar ideas and the banter and good times were on the go the full journey home. I ended up absolutely pished that night. Brilliant!

Although only December our title challenge pretty much died there and then as Ross Docherty injured himself celebrating Big Gerry’s equaliser. Was out for months and we couldn’t fill that hole in our midfield.

Even when you were down to 10 men I can’t really recall us creating much which was really frustrating.

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Although only December our title challenge pretty much died there and then as Ross Docherty injured himself celebrating Big Gerry’s equaliser. Was out for months and we couldn’t fill that hole in our midfield.

Even when you were down to 10 men I can’t really recall us creating much which was really frustrating.

Yes, I can remember that. He tried to jump on him and landed awkwardly. Can remember him limping off. You were attacking like mad, but as I said earlier, Murdoch wasn't put under any threat really.

On 20/03/2020 at 14:27, DAFC. said:

What an utterly jobby BBC Match Report that is by the way.

On 20/03/2020 at 14:27, DAFC. said:

Was at this one too. Very enjoyable and a brilliant atmosphere in the away end. 

7 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

What an utterly jobby BBC Match Report that is by the way.

You're not wrong. 

The title was effectively over by the end of that month, it's a shame the title race didn't go on longer, felt like it was going to be a great battle at the start of the season.