Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Best Ground - I really like the view at East end park and it's probably the best in the league, only problem is, the steak bridies have went downhill massively. Another ground i like going to is Palmerston, only problem there is that we get hammered everytime we go down there. Firhill is up there with them two especially with the club inside the Colin Weir stand.

Worst Ground - Either Morton or Alloa. Morton's main stand isn't the most pleasant experience in the world, also that pub just outside the ground...oh dear. Going to the Indodrill is like watching a training session, very low atmosphere throughout the ground also a bit bizarre that the away fans can't go all the way around the goal. 

In terms of experience alloa during the winter is awful and the prices are a pisstake.

The stand at Morton is a joke but the terracing is decent.

Ayr is good but no running water and delipadiated. Reminds me of old east end.

Ideal ground for me would be east end or tannadice but a large terrace with two sets of fans for atmosphere. East end is bad for this unless there's over 1000 in the away end. No banter

Dunfermline best with EEP an excellent all round stadium and very professional setup including good sensible stewarding. I also like the old grounds such as Gayfield, Somerset and Cappielow when they have decent crowds and especially on a dry day, although I detest being shoehorned into that "restricted view" part of the cowshed at Cappielow. 

Worst for me is probably Recreation Park as has more of a Junior feel and I'm not a great fan of Palmerston either but that's more to do with us usually being humped down there.

Our ground is piss. At least when County threw up their Mechano stands they kept them nice and close to the pitch whereas ours have that big path across the front of them pushing the crowds further away from the players. At least our ground doesn't have pillars blocking peoples views like a lot of the others but it's still a poor effort.

21 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

There's only one ground in Scotland to view the Ochils from. It's near Larbert, but the name escapes me.

I presume you mean Ochilview for  Stenhousemuir and if you are in the stand you might get a view . If you are on the terracing behind the goals I don't think so, unless the game is really boring. Alloa is actually nearer the Ochils, and from the wee boxy stand you do get very good views from Dumyat all the way East. I once thought of writing a blog on this but gave up. In the home Stand at Hamilton , and also the away at Motherwell, if high up, you can see the Kilsyth Hills, with Meikle Bin in the Carron Valley one of my favourite walks (now I am a senior chap). That's enough trivia.

Edited by Chapelhall chap

Surprised at the lack of people having Firhill as the worst.
Not even close. I've been in every stand and the only grumble is having to dodge a pillar in the older stand. The one across from it is where I was sitting on one of my favourite away games so the ground itself wouldn't get voted down by me :D

On 19/03/2020 at 20:02, Chapelhall chap said:

I presume you mean Ochilview for  Stenhousemuir and if you are in the stand you might get a view . If you are on the terracing behind the goals I don't think so, unless the game is really boring. Alloa is actually nearer the Ochils, and from the wee boxy stand you do get very good views from Dumyat all the way East. I once thought of writing a blog on this but gave up. In the home Stand at Hamilton , and also the away at Motherwell, if high up, you can see the Kilsyth Hills, with Meikle Bin in the Carron Valley one of my favourite walks (now I am a senior chap). That's enough trivia.

Indeed, the view of the Ochils from the Recs is considerably better than from Ochilview. My old man takes a picture of it about 10 times a season 😁. The Arbroath poster favouring Ochilview must be suffering from the effects of years of standing in gale force winds. 

Understand the lack of love for the Gazebo. It was basically just a pragmatic quick solution when we found ourselves with a flat section of the ground after a chance came up to have the old ash terracing removed for free. But I love the Recs anyway, that view, the history of the place, and it's home. I'd have hated us to end up with new a ground like East Fife or Dumbarton. 

Of the rest I like Gayfield as a ground but the location is shite. Seen way too many games there ruined by the weather. Palmerston is a good ground, classy old feel but with plenty of seats. Morton and Ayr have a certain retro appeal too, as does the Dens main stand. 

Sorry to say as I am an admirer of much about ICT, but the stadium is poor. Wrong location, miles out of the community and exposed, and the design is grim too with any atmosphere that is created quickly lost with how open it is. Somehow they managed to build a new stadium that is inferior to an ancient and shrinking Highland League ground a couple of miles away. But Grant Street is a better place to watch football. 

IMG_20191130_150332.jpg

Edited by Waspie

I voted Arbroath for the best. Staying in either Dunfermline or Aberdeen it's bang in the middle so maybe an hour each way on the train with a carry out. Plenty boozers and good scram to be found before and during the game. Helps that I've seen us get a good result more often than not and I remember a few good piss ups here. One was before Christmas, think we won 3-0 and I had to go back up to work behind the bar at a part absolutely shitfaced. Made a fortune in tips being cheerful AF and having a laugh with anyone who came near the bar. 

Worst is Alloa. No pubs near the ground and the view is pretty shit from behind the away goal. At least in the home end you get a great view of the Ochil's. I didn't vote for Cappielow simply because winning the league there brings such fond memories back and it's far enough away to get a good skinful on the train. 

Oddly I have always had Alloa as my favourite away ground. The view of The Ochils is the best in Scotland, and I always remember enjoying myself there. Since the Astro went down and the new stand went up though, it isn’t quite the same. Never liked Firhill for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Axle Grease

East End Park is easily the best stadium, by huge distance. 

Somerset is like a municipal tip and Ayr deserve better.

Could never understand why it was never redeveloped. Ayr has a 50,000 population so its in line with the likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk, Perth etc. 

2 hours ago, Axle Grease said:

East End Park is easily the best stadium, by huge distance. 

Somerset is like a municipal tip and Ayr deserve better.

Could never understand why it was never redeveloped. Ayr has a 50,000 population so its in line with the likes of Dunfermline, Falkirk, Perth etc. 

Ayr have tried to relocate , local authorities have rejected planning permission, thus causing the club great deal of wasted money , can only see them now doing Somerset up with the help of our new directors building company , believe a number of internal building improvements are about to take place 

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/04/2020 at 19:12, Robbo63 said:

Ayr have tried to relocate , local authorities have rejected planning permission, thus causing the club great deal of wasted money , can only see them now doing Somerset up with the help of our new directors building company , believe a number of internal building improvements are about to take place 

Who's the new director did the old owner not build 1/2 the stadium in England but even he could do nothing with Somerset or get you moved to the bypass 

15 hours ago, cooshedder said:

Who's the new director did the old owner not build 1/2 the stadium in England but even he could do nothing with Somerset or get you moved to the bypass 

New Director is top man of Aishleigh Construction, and yes old owner Bill Barr built a number of football stadiums in both Scotland and England , local authorities were not up for any of his proposals, 

Gayfield should be up there as one of the best, but when you are actually there it's a fucking shithole. Always freezing and a crap view from the terrace.

As an Arab, I can't see folks problem with Tannadice (Jerry Kerr excepted) but as an infrequent away dayer these days I'd have to say EEP is the best of a bad bunch.