Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been in all stands at east end, firhill(as I’d imagine quite a lot since they have moved the away end continually) and hampden. 

cowdenbeath as well who change the segregation every time we visit 

Edited by parsforlife

The only SPFL ground I’ve been in all 4 sides at is Gayfield. The old stand when I was really young in the mid 90’s and the terracing several times as you can move freely 4 round the sides of the pitch.

Several HL grounds too, due to the lack of segregation.

I've been in all 4 sides at Palmerston and Stair Park certainly.  

I've probably done so in others briefly too, because you used to be able to effectively do laps of some back in the day, watching from wherever you fancied stopping.

Has anyone been in every stand of a stadium?
Hearts and Dundee United seem to keep changing the away ends over time. 
Hearts used to be home end then during reconstruction sat in the main stand, new away end and at skol cup semi was in the stand across the road from the main.
United used to have the away end behind the goals at the home end, also remember being to the right of that in a steep terrace with massive steps. Have been in every side of the stadium.
Thistle chop and change where the away fans go all the time. Was class when they put us behind the goals 10 years ago.

Hearts used to be home end then during reconstruction sat in the main stand, new away end and at skol cup semi was in the stand across the road from the main.

United used to have the away end behind the goals at the home end, also remember being to the right of that in a steep terrace with massive steps. Have been in every side of the stadium.

Been in all 4 at Pittodrie (albeit the old Beach End rather than the new Dick Donald Stand but have been in both sides of the South Stand), St Johnstone (albeit twice it was for rugby), East End (including both sides of the North Stand), Tynecastle (but not since it has become all-seated as we used to stand where the home stand is now, and were in the Wheatfield side for the Skol Cup semi), Firhill (well all three sides), Hampden and of course the places without segregation like Forfar, Brechin (including the old stand which was only because we got comps) and Cowdenbeath (where I've been in both stands and all three sides of the terracing).

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Easter Road win against Hearts?

I was too young to go, and dont remember much of the Final at Celtic Park the same year despite being there (my gran had a, now lost, video of the game and you see me aged about 7 as they pan along fans outside the ground). One of the old boys who like reminiscing would have an opinion on it, @PauloPerth is in his 70s so should remember.

Had three non-Hampden Semis I can remember. Two at Tynecastle (Aberdeen, Hibs) and one at Ibrox (Aberdeen), plus three at Hampden (Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell).

Tynecastle absolutely trounces them all.

Worst was Hampden v Motherwell.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's quite a few actually.

I'm actually a fan of Hampden.  It's obviously not a brilliant stadium, but I still like it for Scotland and finals.  Semi finals should, however, be staged elsewhere.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You are correct. Before I was born though, so again would have to be an older fan who could comment.

They're my pictures of the East End semi final funnily enough. We were robbed by a Utd player (possibly big Dunc?)  saving a Saints goal with his hand on the goalline but no penalty awarded. 1991 and we lost 2-1. Cracking venue for a semi final, near enough a sell out. East End Park was a brilliant ground back then, probably that, Brockville and the huge steep Raymond Stewart (or was it Andy Gray?) enclosure at Tannadice being the best as an away supporter. 

We pumped hearts 3-0 at Easter Road in that midweek LC semi final, similar to the three semis we've played at Tynecastle we only had one stand behind the goal, but a much happier outcome. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYOBU6QcO2c

We lost to Hibs in two LC semis (early 200's and 2016) and Aberdeen once in 2014.

We also played a LC final and SC semi final in 1998 ish both v rangers at Celtic park, and 1989 SC semi and replay at Celtic park as a part time club also v rangers. There was the semi at ibrox in 2014, and numerous Hampden semi finals over the years, where I've yet to see us win.  I'm not sure we ever have in a semi or final to be honest.

Our own Muirton Park was used as a SC semi final In 1970, photo below, well before I was born I hasten to add! I remember being at Dens for a match between Aberdeen and Utd in the late 80's I'm  sure .. was that a LC semi-final?  Wasn't love street used for a semi final in the past as well?

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.abfc628785f63bd68bdfc112c583be62.JPG

ETA We've also played a semi final at Tannadice apparently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMVM5Cy46yI

Edited by PauloPerth

18 hours ago, Socks said:

No bother. Wasn't completely certain either, but was fairly sure I stood there, uncovered, in the big derby game at the end of 94/95 (9000 at the game I think) which would have been the last time we were at Starks before redevelopment. Any idea when the home end of the railway stand was built? I can't really remember it not being there but I was quite young when I was first in the ground in the late 80s. It's the one part of the ground there seems to be very few old photos of as well - I've seen plenty of the partially covered terraces at both ends and the unusual shape of the main stand means there are plenty of that as well, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo showing the railway side with terracing all the way along.

Socks

Railway stand that replaced the “coo shed” was built/redeveloped in early 80,s along with concrete terrace in away end.Rest of redevelopment was early 90,s

The best and probably only pic of “coo shed” as it was that I could find on the net was believe or not on Pars On Tour...Theres some really good pics of the ground

http://www.parsreview.org/pars-review-blog-archives-2016-2017/pars-on-tour-starks-park#

image.jpeg.cb0d7dc167b83d57dcf0a238a946c8d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4013d548aa9daf16eb2b85e15ead7f3.jpeg

image.jpeg.834c2839236d65626f4a44e8f6e72fb0.jpeg

image.jpeg.b425c9ac8a26f02f5cc197919a3bfca0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2741311cc1c982a5edab290c70c183d3.jpeg

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Been in all 4 sides of the ground at Pittodrie, East End, Tynecastle, Both Dundee grounds, Hampden and Ibrox(if the standing enclosure in front of the main stand counts, it was when Jock Wallace returned as manager in the 80s and the Broomland stand was full when we arrived. There must have been about 200 Dandies in the enclosure that day)

Been 4 sides at Aberdeen and East End Park.. but never in our North East Stand. Literally every other section including South East and West enclosures next to the pitch. 

Hampden as well, behind both goals, South and North stands. 

Does 1/1 count at Dumbarton, East Fife and old Meadowbank? 

2 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Socks

Railway stand that replaced the “coo shed” was built/redeveloped in early 80,s along with concrete terrace in away end.Rest of redevelopment was early 90,s

The best and probably only pic of “coo shed” as it was that I could find on the net was believe or not on Pars On Tour...Theres some really good pics of the ground

http://www.parsreview.org/pars-review-blog-archives-2016-2017/pars-on-tour-starks-park#

image.jpeg.cb0d7dc167b83d57dcf0a238a946c8d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4013d548aa9daf16eb2b85e15ead7f3.jpeg

Thanks for that, those two photos in particular. The second one is pretty much how I remember it before the two end stands were built, but when I look at those I'm surprised how far back from the pitch the away end terracing was - genuinely didn't remember that at all. Definitely hadn't seen the covered terrace on the railway side before.

I've been in all 4 sides of Stark's (as well as East End), 3 of them to watch the Pars. We had the enclosure in front of the stand for a Scottish Cup game against Cowdenbeath in the early 90s.

Have been in all the stands at firhill due to the constant switching of away sections. Obviously have been in all stands at Somerset, big fan of being able to move around the entire ground when there is a small away support.

Although I can see why away supporters might complain about the away end views. The view from the railway end isn't very good compared with the Somerset road end. Although you can make quite a bit of noise in that stand without very many folk, I don't think it's steep enough and it can be a real struggle to see down the other end at times. I don't go in the main stand very much, not since I was a kid. Always thought the view was alright but I've never been in the far side where away supporters are housed.

On 11/05/2020 at 21:42, TheScarf said:

We’ve had 7 (I think, including the replay with Dunfermline at Pitoddrie) semis and for atmosphere by far and away the worst 2 I’ve been at were the 2 at Hampden against Dunfermline and Celtic. Utter shite.

Didnt go to to the semi against Hearts at Hampden last year.

The atmosphere against Hearts was also utter shite.

The two semis against them at Easter Road were by far the best in terms of atmosphere.

I have been in every stand at Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Arbroath, Elgin, Clach and Hampden. 

Gayfield comfortably the best. Rolling out of Tutties at 1 minute to 3. I like Ayr for the communist East German feel of it. Tannadice was designed by midgets. Feel like fucking Noddy when I'm there. Knees up around my ears. Having said that, standing at the old seggy fence back in the day was tremendous.