Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Shed is a marvellous little stand when it comes to United. The Fair Play is one of the most poorly designed stands going. Pretty much the whole stand has a restricted view in one way or another and not just because a pillar or such like is in your way.

Horrific. Really dampened the two Derby games at Tannadice this season for me (Ignoring the actual product on the park) Just didn't feel the same.

Cappielow in the Cowshed or Sinclair Street End, especially on a sunny day, is glorious. Can totally understand hating being stuck in that main stand though or soaked in the WDE. 

Partick is a decent away day, but Firhill really is an absolute dive.

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Ive never been to Tynecastle so I’m looking forward to watching an away game there!

Easily the best ground in Scotland when it's full and bouncing.

We play a Semi Final against Aberdeen there, where they sold out 3 stands. After they went 3-0 the atmosphere was incredible. Never experienced anything like it until Scotland went 2-1 up against England.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Easily the best ground in Scotland when it's full and bouncing.

We play a Semi Final against Aberdeen there, where they sold out 3 stands. After they went 3-0 the atmosphere was incredible. Never experienced anything like it until Scotland went 2-1 up against England.

I wish they'd generally use the Edinburgh grounds and the likes of Kilmarnock for semi finals.  Obviously it would drastically reduce the capacity from Hampden, and there are contractual issues.  

The atmosphere however, would be terrific.  A gaping Hampden definitely means something is missing.  

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wish they'd generally use the Edinburgh grounds and the likes of Kilmarnock for semi finals.  Obviously it would drastically reduce the capacity from Hampden, and there are contractual issues.  

The atmosphere however, would be terrific.  A gaping Hampden definitely means something is missing.  

100%.

I'd rather they sold out and potentially had fans missing out than huge gaping spaces, as long as season ticket holders were guaranteed a ticket obvs. The two Edinburgh grounds are the perfect size for Semis, IMO.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

100%.

I'd rather they sold out and potentially had fans missing out than huge gaping spaces, as long as season ticket holders were guaranteed a ticket obvs. The two Edinburgh grounds are the perfect size for Semis, IMO.

It's my one regret from our semi final win over Aberdeen.  It was still absolutely brilliant obviously, but would have been incredible at Tynecastle.

Where was your semi final when you reached the League Cup final about 20 years ago?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's my one regret from our semi final win over Aberdeen.  It was still absolutely brilliant obviously, but would have been incredible at Tynecastle.

Where was your semi final when you reached the League Cup final about 20 years ago?

The Easter Road win against Hearts?

I was too young to go, and dont remember much of the Final at Celtic Park the same year despite being there (my gran had a, now lost, video of the game and you see me aged about 7 as they pan along fans outside the ground). One of the old boys who like reminiscing would have an opinion on it, @PauloPerth is in his 70s so should remember.

Had three non-Hampden Semis I can remember. Two at Tynecastle (Aberdeen, Hibs) and one at Ibrox (Aberdeen), plus three at Hampden (Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell).

Tynecastle absolutely trounces them all.

Worst was Hampden v Motherwell.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was too young to go, and dont remember much of the Final at Celtic Park the same year despite being there (my gran had a, now lost, video of the game and you see me aged about 7 as they pan along fans outside the ground). One of the old boys who like reminiscing would have an opinion on it, @PauloPerth is in his 70s so should remember.

Had three non-Hampden Semis I can remember. Two at Tynecastle (Aberdeen, Hibs) and one at Ibrox (Aberdeen), plus three at Hampden (Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell).

That's quite a few actually.

I'm actually a fan of Hampden.  It's obviously not a brilliant stadium, but I still like it for Scotland and finals.  Semi finals should, however, be staged elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did you not have a semi final at East End Park? 

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's quite a few actually.

I'm actually a fan of Hampden.  It's obviously not a brilliant stadium, but I still like it for Scotland and finals.  Semi finals should, however, be staged elsewhere.

Hampden seems to be great when youre in a support thats got at least half of it.

Sadly not something I'll ever experience at club level.

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Did you not have a semi final at East End Park? 

Can't think when, unless it was a Challenge Cup game or something? 

Either that or it was before my birth.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hampden seems to be great when youre in a support thats got at least half of it.

Sadly not something I'll ever experience at club level.

Can't think when, unless it was a Challenge Cup game or something? 

Either that or it was before my birth.

Was when East End had terracing I'm sure, I think I've seen a picture of it and I thought St Johnstone were one of the sides. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Was when East End had terracing I'm sure, I think I've seen a picture of it and I thought St Johnstone were one of the sides. 

You are correct. Before I was born though, so again would have to be an older fan who could comment.

Has anyone been in every stand of a stadium?

Hearts and Dundee United seem to keep changing the away ends over time. 
Hearts used to be home end then during reconstruction sat in the main stand, new away end and at skol cup semi was in the stand across the road from the main.

United used to have the away end behind the goals at the home end, also remember being to the right of that in a steep terrace with massive steps. Have been in every side of the stadium.

On 10/05/2020 at 15:39, Rovers_Lad said:

You are correct Socks regards the away end of Railway Stand being uncovered when the terrace was redeveloped/ concreted.Cause of my age I,m talking pre 89/pre redevelopement when  it was a railway sleeper terrace,in the main it was all covered bar a small section near the away end and the home end

Apologies,its an age thing

No bother. Wasn't completely certain either, but was fairly sure I stood there, uncovered, in the big derby game at the end of 94/95 (9000 at the game I think) which would have been the last time we were at Starks before redevelopment. Any idea when the home end of the railway stand was built? I can't really remember it not being there but I was quite young when I was first in the ground in the late 80s. It's the one part of the ground there seems to be very few old photos of as well - I've seen plenty of the partially covered terraces at both ends and the unusual shape of the main stand means there are plenty of that as well, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo showing the railway side with terracing all the way along.

We’ve had 7 (I think, including the replay with Dunfermline at Pitoddrie) semis and for atmosphere by far and away the worst 2 I’ve been at were the 2 at Hampden against Dunfermline and Celtic. Utter shite.

Didnt go to to the semi against Hearts at Hampden last year.