Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Main Stand is very old fashioned. Old wooden seats, for the most part and then plastic blue ones with no back support the rest of them (I'm sure we got them from Ibrox). It's a nice quirky stand though and it'll be a sad day when/if it has to go. The club shop is nice when it's stocked but looks pretty poor when it's not. I'm envious of Ayr's club shop. Went in on our last visit and was really impressed.

The seagull problem is awful throughout the town. Absolute vermin that need culled. But they are classed as endangered apparently. Clearly those who classified them have never visited Dumfries. I hate the creatures. About the only animal I don't slow my car down for.

Doubt very much we got them from Ibrox as Rangers never had backless seats!!

I’ve got more of an issue with the point that East End Park is “without doubt the best ground in the Championship for facilities”.
For away fans, it’s got a stand with toilets and a pie stall- pretty much the bare minimum you’d expect. Okay, they’ve got a bar inside the ground, but more often than not they don’t allow away fans in there. The main stand’s okay, but not much more than that. Give me the FairPlay stand at Tannadice that offers an unobstructed view of the whole pitch from the half way line before that.
Inverness is a soulless bin but offers more in terms of facilities to away fans in that they’re allowed to access the bar in the ground before kick off, whilst Palmerston provides the same as East End Park, with the added bonus of being able to watch the game from the side of the pitch instead of behind the goal, and, if you bring enough fans the option of a terrace.
As well as that, Palmerston has a welcoming bar inside the ground and what looks like an excellent covered terrace at the home end.
East End Park might be the best in terms of facilities, but we’re not comparing the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with Cliftonhill, here. If it is the best, it’s marginal.
Relax bud.

Doubt very much we got them from Ibrox as Rangers never had backless seats!!
I don't know which ones but I'm sure I read we got seats in that stand from Rangers. Can't remember where I read it but I definitely have. Given I can't find anything about it online just now, perhaps it was rubbish.

On 02/05/2020 at 13:30, Speroni*1 said:

I really, really like Starks Park. Right mix of old and new. Has character.

This popped up on twitter the other day. Have to say I share the love for it. Must have been the first ground I saw from the train when I was a boy and still have a fairly vivid memory of that. I also love the way the main stand interacts with the road, as you can see in the 2nd photo, like the road just cuts through it. 

Is Stark’s Park still the only ground in Scotland where you can’t watch a game exactly perpendicular to the half-way line? Or have they put seats back in the railway side stand?

It is or was of those useless bits of trivia in any case.

10 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

This popped up on twitter the other day. Have to say I share the love for it. Must have been the first ground I saw from the train when I was a boy and still have a fairly vivid memory of that. I also love the way the main stand interacts with the road, as you can see in the 2nd photo, like the road just cuts through it. 

Starks Park was a great ground back in the day when there were covered-ish terraces begin the goals. My memory is fading but was it just an open terrace across from the stand?

22 minutes ago, The Master said:

Is Stark’s Park still the only ground in Scotland where you can’t watch a game exactly perpendicular to the half-way line? Or have they put seats back in the railway side stand?

It is or was of those useless bits of trivia in any case.

There's seats in the away section of the railway side stand. Think they've been punting most away supports this season in there, but imagine they'll be putting your away support behind the goals next season.

56 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

Starks Park was a great ground back in the day when there were covered-ish terraces begin the goals. My memory is fading but was it just an open terrace across from the stand?

No it was covered terrace

33 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's seats in the away section of the railway side stand. Think they've been punting most away supports this season in there, but imagine they'll be putting your away support behind the goals next season.

Most away supports for some strange reason have been given behind the goals when most can easily fit into the railway stand.The odd time away support have been put in the Railway Stand,some smaller supports a corner section of Main Stand.Seems to be no  rhyme nor reason behind our club punting the odd away support in the railway stand yet most others behind the goals

Edited by Rovers_Lad

3 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Most away supports for some strange reason have been given behind the goals,some smaller supports a corner section of Main Stand and the odd away support have been put in the away section of Railway Stand.No rhyme nor reason behind our club punting the odd away support in the railway stand yet most others behind the goals

Cheers. I genuinely can't remember the covered terrace. I remember a New Years day game you played against Hibs in the 80s/90s and the attendance was 15000. That must have been epic.

16 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Most away supports for some strange reason have been given behind the goals when most can easily fit into the railway stand.The odd time away support have been put in the Railway Stand,some smaller supports a corner section of Main Stand.Seems to be no  rhyme nor reason behind our club punting the odd away support in the railway stand yet most others behind the goals

Ah, my apologies. I thought you were chucking most supports in the railway as that would make sense. Maybe it doesn't have disabled facilities or something?

I, m off that age of following the Rovers in the 80s/90s and long before then may I add  but cant remember playing Hibs at home on a New Years Day.Remember getting cuffed at Easter Road in the late 90s at New Year

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ah, my apologies. I thought you were chucking most supports in the railway as that would make sense. Maybe it doesn't have disabled facilities or something?

Apology not required DA

No idea why the club chopped and changed where the housed away supports.Understandable why  the Falkirk support were housed in the stand behind the goals but not others

I,d reckon there were only 2 or 3 occasions when away support were punted into Railway Stand

I used to have a season when that stand was fully functioning and it was great view.If it ever got revamped i,d be back in there

I'm fairly sure the away end of what is now the railway stand was never covered when it was terracing. The home end had seats for quite a while before the big redevelopment in the late 90s and might even have been there before I first went there in 1989, but I'm fairly sure I remember standing on the uncovered away terrace a couple of times.

2 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Apology not required DA

No idea why the club chopped and changed where the housed away supports.Understandable why  the Falkirk support were housed in the stand behind the goals but not others

I,d reckon there were only 2 or 3 occasions when away support were punted into Railway Stand

I used to have a season when that stand was fully functioning and it was great view.If it ever got revamped i,d be back in there

Apologies from me re the Hibs game - getting old!  Your ground is another (like ours) which suffered from the 10000 seat rule. Properly maintained Starks Park could easily and safely held 10000 in a seats and terrace combo.

I’ve got more of an issue with the point that East End Park is “without doubt the best ground in the Championship for facilities”.
For away fans, it’s got a stand with toilets and a pie stall- pretty much the bare minimum you’d expect. Okay, they’ve got a bar inside the ground, but more often than not they don’t allow away fans in there. The main stand’s okay, but not much more than that. Give me the FairPlay stand at Tannadice that offers an unobstructed view of the whole pitch from the half way line before that.
Inverness is a soulless bin but offers more in terms of facilities to away fans in that they’re allowed to access the bar in the ground before kick off, whilst Palmerston provides the same as East End Park, with the added bonus of being able to watch the game from the side of the pitch instead of behind the goal, and, if you bring enough fans the option of a terrace.
As well as that, Palmerston has a welcoming bar inside the ground and what looks like an excellent covered terrace at the home end.
East End Park might be the best in terms of facilities, but we’re not comparing the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with Cliftonhill, here. If it is the best, it’s marginal.

I dunno about that. I'm biased, of course, but the facilities at East End (if you are in the Cowdenbeath end, maybe not so much if you are in the Main Stand) are a lot better than the Fair Play stand at Tannadice (and the last few times we've been in the Shed anyway).

I'm not sure where the "unobstructed view" is in the Fair Play Stand? When I've been in the lower tier, I couldn't see the near side corner down by the tunnel and when I've been in the upper tier I couldn't see the near side touchline or that corner. The stairways are very narrow, the toilets are very small and cramped and the food kiosk area is very narrow too (although I appreciate the stand is well designed in such a limited space).

As for disabled fans, forget about it. If you are ambulant disabled then these tight staircases need negotiated even for seats in the lower tier and if you are in a wheelchair then you need to be wheeled round to the where the home fans are or put up in the back of the Shed. I'm not even sire there are disabled toilets in the away end? I know our Disabled Supporters club had raised it with the SLO. East End has excellent disabled facilities on the level of the turnstiles and with a raised view. The catering area is roomy enough and there are plenty of toilets.

I get the point about watching along the side of the pitch so for that Palmerston is very good (and their catering is arguably the best in the division) and so is Partick, at least until GTF day and assuming we're in the Jackie Husband Stand.

15 hours ago, Socks said:

I'm fairly sure the away end of what is now the railway stand was never covered when it was terracing. The home end had seats for quite a while before the big redevelopment in the late 90s and might even have been there before I first went there in 1989, but I'm fairly sure I remember standing on the uncovered away terrace a couple of times.

You are correct Socks regards the away end of Railway Stand being uncovered when the terrace was redeveloped/ concreted.Cause of my age I,m talking pre 89/pre redevelopement when  it was a railway sleeper terrace,in the main it was all covered bar a small section near the away end and the home end

Apologies,its an age thing