Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Not as big a fan, literally the length of the pitch away from each other when we're there. Be nice if the Raith fans were in the railway stand

Great away day, looking forward to it. 

Aye, completely understand how it'd be shite for a Derby.

In saying that, Dunfermline's away stand is quite a distance from the home support as well.

12 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Aye, completely understand how it'd be shite for a Derby.

In saying that, Dunfermline's away stand is quite a distance from the home support as well.

The main stand comes three quarters of the way towards you on the left, with the North West having fan upto the halfway line on your right, because they have fans in the stand the sound carries better along the stand though etc etc. 

Providing there's an OK away support then you'll have fans on four sides of the ground, vital IMO. 

Edited by Grant228

Never bought the argument that you need to have fans of each side close together in order to create an atmosphere. 

Have seen many examples that prove otherwise. 

On 30/04/2020 at 03:59, farflung lichtie said:

My own preferences would be; traditional-historic (as opposed to Lego or hybrids); scope for standing and even movement; closeness to the pitch/action.

Plus I think the stadia of the bigger clubs that’ve been in the Premier L suffer since they are usually a bit too empty in terms of available capacity and atmosphere (though Airdrie, Clyde etc also suffer in this regard). It’s not the only offender, but East End Park inflicts hearing injuries via PA probably seeking to conceal the disconnect.

Hence, the truly surreal but common experience of fans not only being confined to small, often unconducive sections of seating while major often prime sections of the stadium are unnecessarily closed. And all the time being excessively controlled by stewards who treat customers like sheep at the market. Considering this is a branch of the entertainment industry, these excessive strictures and regressive customs have more in common with processing a wave of refugees equally devoid of ‘rights’. Community payback attendees have an easier time.

Within this unpromising setting plus weather (some might also list denial of alcohol) and given the variable quality of the content, it’s amazing so many paying customers still turn up.

Really annoys me this. Happens in the premier regularly, in a stand behind a goal and they'll cordon off a third in the corner for you to all herd in together. (Yes, not a problem for Saints etc etc).  It's bullshit. Let folk choose where they want to sit in a half full stand.

And the point about the 10000 seater rule I think a Pars fan discussed after you, is also bang on. It was a genuine 'if we build it they will come' concept which had no basis in reality whatsoever.  So many lower league, or Premiership diddy team matches, would be brilliant played in front of grounds along the lines of Ross County's in terms of size and atmosphere by stands being close to the pitch.

In terms of the championship, Palmerston, Gayfield, East End and Tannadice are decent.

Somerset was good for a trip down memory lane, but the covered Railway End is so shallow a rake and low down that the view of the opposite goal is shocking. Horrendous day when we were there so the open side terracing wasn't much of an option.

Firhill is a bit too big, and misses having a small stand behind the goal to complete the ground.  The two new stands are decent, but the view from the Main is poor. Would be a vastly improved ground to visit if they put away fans back in the North Stand.

Dens is fine behind the goals but just feels too open to get much of an atmosphere from home fans as the side stands aren't steep enough and too far back from the pitch.

Inverness should have been like Victoria Park along the road, instead it's one of the worst grounds to visit in the country sadly. Too far from the pitch, stands not steep enough and nothing along one side.

Recreation Park I haven't been to in a good few years, felt quite a relaxed but fairly basic place to watch a game, there's nothing about it which inspires, or any memorable feature other than the surrounding view.

Cappielow could be an absolute gem of a ground with a few improvements. It's setting and how hemmed in it is are perfect for Scottish football. Just a roof on the wee Dublin End for away fans, roofs without pillars on both side stands,  better leg room in the Main Stand, and making the cowshed all terracing again. Sadly, we rarely see improvements at Scottish grounds which try to retain their character, other than Tynecastle off the top of my head; and if Cappielow were to see investment it would probably end up along the lines of Broadwood, Airdrie, McDiarmid etc which would be a real shame.

I like Gayfield generally, but it annoys me a bit because the view from the enclosure opposite the stand is not great when play is at the other end near the corner flag. If you're near the front you can see most of it but from further back you can't.

Cappielow is the most frustrating ground in the league because it's been fine when we've been in the Cowshed or WDE in recent years, but I didn't go to the second game this season simply because we were going to be in that awful stand. I really like the ground but just hate the experience of standing up the back and having to squat down to see play on the far side of the park.

Stark's Park is OK, though having such big stands at both ends has destroyed the proportions of the ground. I liked it better in its previous form and especially so when the terracing in front of the stand and right up to the away end was used. I know they didn't have much choice in how the ground changed as it was the only way they could get 10000 seats in at the time.

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Never bought the argument that you need to have fans of each side close together in order to create an atmosphere. 

Have seen many examples that prove otherwise. 

EEP is without doubt the best ground in the Championship for facilities. The problem is, that like Falkirk, QoS, Annan, Airdrie, Clyde, ICT...... it's about seven miles away from the nearest train station.  

EEP is without doubt the best ground in the Championship for facilities. The problem is, that like Falkirk, QoS, Annan, Airdrie, Clyde, ICT...... it's about seven miles away from the nearest train station.  
Annan, Dunfermline and QoS is like a 15/20 minute walk from the station.

8 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

Annan, Dunfermline and QoS is like a 15/20 minute walk from the station.

Clyde probably less.

Not sure what that fellas been drinking this morning.

Takes longer to get to both Dundee clubs on foot from the train station in Dundee than it does to walk from the station in Inverness to ICT's ground. So one would assume easily that ICT are closer to a train station than both Dundee clubs. Ayr's main station is also a longer walk than Inverness.
We should have some list of grounds to stations on the forum somewhere.

Ayr's main station isn't that far away from Somerset - Google makes it around a mile and a 20 minute walk, whereas Inverness station to ICTs ground is a mile and a half and nearer 30 minutes walking time - and at Ayr you also have Newton-on-Ayr which is about half a mile from the ground.

12 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Ayr's main station isn't that far away from Somerset - Google makes it around a mile and a 20 minute walk, whereas Inverness station to ICTs ground is a mile and a half and nearer 30 minutes walking time - and at Ayr you also have Newton-on-Ayr which is about half a mile from the ground.

Ayr is pretty much the perfect train away day. There’s not much in it between Newton-on-Ayr and Ayr in terms of walking but the latter is much better served by pubs and shops.

Edited by Hammer Jag

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Never thought Broadwood was that far away from Croy Station you can see one from the other and after the game its all down hill by the path to the railway station. Just as well he's never tried to get to Peterhead or Forfar by rail that would be some walk from the nearest stations.

He might've went all the way down Smithstone Rd to Blackwood roundabout which would add a fair bit on to the journey. Sensible folk cut through Craiglinn housing estate that takes you out at Broadwood cars just next to the stadium.

10 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

What is this nonsense? There's 2 stations pretty close to East End. You can walk to the ground from either in 15 minutes.

11 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

What? There's two train stations within 15 minutes of EEP, if you get off at Queen Margaret then the Elizabethan is 2 minutes down a hill which is where allot of away fans congregate. 

Dunfermline Town is handily situated near to the town centre if you want to make a day out of it. 

Google Maps has Dunfermline Town as being 0. 8 miles away with Dunfermline Queen Margaret as 0.9 miles. 

I can't even begin to fathom where you're coming from here. 

I’ve got more of an issue with the point that East End Park is “without doubt the best ground in the Championship for facilities”.

For away fans, it’s got a stand with toilets and a pie stall- pretty much the bare minimum you’d expect. Okay, they’ve got a bar inside the ground, but more often than not they don’t allow away fans in there. The main stand’s okay, but not much more than that. Give me the FairPlay stand at Tannadice that offers an unobstructed view of the whole pitch from the half way line before that.

Inverness is a soulless bin but offers more in terms of facilities to away fans in that they’re allowed to access the bar in the ground before kick off, whilst Palmerston provides the same as East End Park, with the added bonus of being able to watch the game from the side of the pitch instead of behind the goal, and, if you bring enough fans the option of a terrace.

As well as that, Palmerston has a welcoming bar inside the ground and what looks like an excellent covered terrace at the home end.

East End Park might be the best in terms of facilities, but we’re not comparing the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with Cliftonhill, here. If it is the best, it’s marginal.

Queen of the South - I've sat in the East Stand during most visits either sitting with the home or my own support and stood on the Portland terrace end once. Both good places to watch a game and from experience there's a good atmosphere at the ground even against lower league opposition. Nice tidy ground as well, wouldn't mind trying out the Main Stand on my next visit. Do they still have a seagull problem? Nice club shop. I've never tried the food at the ground. 

The Main Stand is very old fashioned. Old wooden seats, for the most part and then plastic blue ones with no back support the rest of them (I'm sure we got them from Ibrox). It's a nice quirky stand though and it'll be a sad day when/if it has to go. The club shop is nice when it's stocked but looks pretty poor when it's not. I'm envious of Ayr's club shop. Went in on our last visit and was really impressed.

The seagull problem is awful throughout the town. Absolute vermin that need culled. But they are classed as endangered apparently. Clearly those who classified them have never visited Dumfries. I hate the creatures. About the only animal I don't slow my car down for.

1 hour ago, willythewelshman said:

Cappielow. Shit ground,  exploding floodlights, awful stewarding, dreadul catering, and The Norseman!!! Enough said.

Firhill: a three-sided dump in Possil that will be hosting a stack of plumber and fishermen outfits in a stupid see division next season. 

ainsley-harriott-birthday-lorraine-a.jpg.c764bbf957abb54428cdf8b5f8f41081.jpg