Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gayfield should be up there as one of the best, but when you are actually there it's a fucking shithole. Always freezing and a crap view from the terrace.
As an Arab, I can't see folks problem with Tannadice (Jerry Kerr excepted) but as an infrequent away dayer these days I'd have to say EEP is the best of a bad bunch. 
I've only visited once and we were behind the goal. Personally I really liked it. Something tells me there were some complaints about disabled access though? There's a bit of a steep hill behind that goal, I dunno if that was the complaint or something else.

Never visited Alloa to have an opinion.

Best would be East End Park, that's heavily influenced by one of the most enjoyable Saints games going happening there (Liam Craig putting us top in the promotion season with a 35 yarder right in front of the away support), but theres no negatives at all.

Somerset would run it close after the Cup game, but again heavily influenced by the size of support we took through. Facilities are laughable.

ICT doesnt allow any atmosphere between opposing fans, and is entirely a bit shite, but Firhill is horrendous. Wedged in the Main Stand with rotten, filthy, seats and absolutely no chance of any atmosphere at all. Just brutal.

Arbroath has its charms, Morton is judged twice (Main Stand is just awful with the shite leg room and posts, behind the goals under the floodlights is great), QOS is probably shite but a great game happened there (3-3, 3-1 down after 80 mins and last minute equaliser in front of away fans).

Dens Park is comfortably better than Tannadice, but only because we get behind the goals at Dens and wedged alongside the sideline at Tannadice, you cant see a corner of the pitch.

I'm aware McDiarmid is soulless and would come bottom of this, before anyone says.

1. Dunfermline 

2. Ayr

3. Dundee

4. Morton (not Main Stand)

5. Dundee United

6. QOS

7. Arbroath

8. ICT

9. Partick

Edited by RandomGuy.

Gayfield should be up there as one of the best, but when you are actually there it's a fucking shithole. Always freezing and a crap view from the terrace.
As an Arab, I can't see folks problem with Tannadice (Jerry Kerr excepted) but as an infrequent away dayer these days I'd have to say EEP is the best of a bad bunch. 

IMG_6066.jpg

Ayr have tried to relocate , local authorities have rejected planning permission, thus causing the club great deal of wasted money , can only see them now doing Somerset up with the help of our new directors building company , believe a number of internal building improvements are about to take place 
Leave it as is, great ground.

My own preferences would be; traditional-historic (as opposed to Lego or hybrids); scope for standing and even movement; closeness to the pitch/action.

Plus I think the stadia of the bigger clubs that’ve been in the Premier L suffer since they are usually a bit too empty in terms of available capacity and atmosphere (though Airdrie, Clyde etc also suffer in this regard). It’s not the only offender, but East End Park inflicts hearing injuries via PA probably seeking to conceal the disconnect.

Hence, the truly surreal but common experience of fans not only being confined to small, often unconducive sections of seating while major often prime sections of the stadium are unnecessarily closed. And all the time being excessively controlled by stewards who treat customers like sheep at the market. Considering this is a branch of the entertainment industry, these excessive strictures and regressive customs have more in common with processing a wave of refugees equally devoid of ‘rights’. Community payback attendees have an easier time.

Within this unpromising setting plus weather (some might also list denial of alcohol) and given the variable quality of the content, it’s amazing so many paying customers still turn up.

4 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

My own preferences would be; traditional-historic (as opposed to Lego or hybrids); scope for standing and even movement; closeness to the pitch/action.

Plus I think the stadia of the bigger clubs that’ve been in the Premier L suffer since they are usually a bit too empty in terms of available capacity and atmosphere (though Airdrie, Clyde etc also suffer in this regard). It’s not the only offender, but East End Park inflicts hearing injuries via PA probably seeking to conceal the disconnect.

Hence, the truly surreal but common experience of fans not only being confined to small, often unconducive sections of seating while major often prime sections of the stadium are unnecessarily closed. And all the time being excessively controlled by stewards who treat customers like sheep at the market. Considering this is a branch of the entertainment industry, these excessive strictures and regressive customs have more in common with processing a wave of refugees equally devoid of ‘rights’. Community payback attendees have an easier time.

Within this unpromising setting plus weather (some might also list denial of alcohol) and given the variable quality of the content, it’s amazing so many paying customers still turn up.

Saved me a lot of typing. Well done sir. Most of the stadiums are too big for the pish crowds we usually get.

2 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Saved me a lot of typing. Well done sir. Most of the stadiums are too big for the pish crowds we usually get.

The 10k rule was ludicrous. As was the rule of that capacity being all seating.

A horrendous change in Scottish football that has really harmed the atmosphere at games.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The 10k rule was ludicrous. As was the rule of that capacity being all seating.

A horrendous change in Scottish football that has really harmed the atmosphere at games.

...and the Taylor Report didn’t apply to Scotland anyway.

Just now, The Mantis said:

...and the Taylor Report didn’t apply to Scotland anyway.

Indeed.

It was just short sighted, out of touch moronic chairmen who genuinely thought they'd be getting big crowds simply because there were seats.

I've seen interviews with some chairmen at the time who actually thought that way. They believed the crowds would flock to these new stadiums because they were 'comfortable' and 'family friendly'.

It was also a clear 'pulling up of the drawbridge' move as well.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never visited Alloa to have an opinion.

Best would be East End Park, that's heavily influenced by one of the most enjoyable Saints games going happening there (Liam Craig putting us top in the promotion season with a 35 yarder right in front of the away support), but theres no negatives at all.

Somerset would run it close after the Cup game, but again heavily influenced by the size of support we took through. Facilities are laughable.

ICT doesnt allow any atmosphere between opposing fans, and is entirely a bit shite, but Firhill is horrendous. Wedged in the Main Stand with rotten, filthy, seats and absolutely no chance of any atmosphere at all. Just brutal.

Arbroath has its charms, Morton is judged twice (Main Stand is just awful with the shite leg room and posts, behind the goals under the floodlights is great), QOS is probably shite but a great game happened there (3-3, 3-1 down after 80 mins and last minute equaliser in front of away fans).

Dens Park is comfortably better than Tannadice, but only because we get behind the goals at Dens and wedged alongside the sideline at Tannadice, you cant see a corner of the pitch.

I'm aware McDiarmid is soulless and would come bottom of this, before anyone says.

1. Dunfermline 

2. Ayr

3. Dundee

4. Morton (not Main Stand)

5. Dundee United

6. QOS

7. Arbroath

8. ICT

9. Partick

In almost 30 years of going to games, I’ve never seen St Johnstone take more than a tractor load of fans to Firhill, so I’m not so sure you can blame the admittedly terrible main stand for that.

Teams like Hamilton and Ayr manage to create an atmosphere with a few hundred fans.

2 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

In almost 30 years of going to games, I’ve never seen St Johnstone take more than a tractor load of fans to Firhill

Considering they barely eclipse that total at home, its hardly surprising. 

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

In almost 30 years of going to games, I’ve never seen St Johnstone take more than a tractor load of fans to Firhill, so I’m not so sure you can blame the admittedly terrible main stand for that.

Teams like Hamilton and Ayr manage to create an atmosphere with a few hundred fans.

I tried to make it clear a lot of it was influenced by the situations I'd be in, in terms of support/how the game went.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

I mean, this season we took more fans away to Ayr than Dundee had for a home Scottish Cup tie against Premiership opposition, so theres that.

Tannadice is the best for me.  You get a good view of the pitch from the away section, and it looks nice.

Somerset is the worst.  It looks horrendous and you feel like you've gone back to 1949 as soon as you get through the turnstile.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, this season we took more fans away to Ayr than Dundee had for a home Scottish Cup tie against Premiership opposition, so theres that.

Yes, congratulations. You took more fans to a game you were heavy favourites to win at 3pm than Dundee got for a Saturday night game where they were expected to lose. 

It was nice you all travelled that far and spent the whole time singing about us. That was really cute. 

20 minutes ago, Dele said:

Yes, congratulations. You took more fans to a game you were heavy favourites to win at 3pm than Dundee got for a Saturday night game where they were expected to lose. 

It was nice you all travelled that far and spent the whole time singing about us. That was really cute. 

Dundee fans - "Haha look at that shite support"

Also Dundee fans - "I only attend games we expect to win"

Spoiler

*patiently waits for the 3 stands to the OF patter to begin*

Edited by RandomGuy.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dundee fans - "Haha look at that shite support"

Also Dundee fans - "I only attend games we expect to win"

Hide contents

*patiently waits for the 3 stands to the OF patter to begin*

Worth mentioning, you've literally just done the exact same thing, chief. 

2 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

The same ayr that took 1000 fans too firhill last season .and came away with another 3 points .

The 10k rule was probably brought about due to the initial success of McDiarmid Park and St Johnstone at the time of Hillsborough and the Taylor report that followed.

It's easy to forget how good the attendances were and that St Johnstone were even considering expansion.

57 minutes ago, Dele said:

Worth mentioning, you've literally just done the exact same thing, chief. 

Not really.

It's you who started slagging other supports, m8, all I've done is merely respond in kind.

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

4 hours ago, Dele said:

And yet, despite the pleasure you seem to be getting from your crowdwanking, over the last decade or so St Johnstone (and Hamilton, though maybe to a lesser degree) have been more successful on the pitch than either Partick or Dundee have. 

What a shame.