Best/Worst Championship Ground

Best/Worst Championship Ground  

322 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Grant228 said:

Attrocious toilets, w**k catering. Not all of it's under cover. 

There's literally not a stadium in this league that is bad when it's a full house with a boisterous atmosphere, easier to judge grounds on there average days. 

Fair, but I have to say I'm not one that would judge catering and toilets as being vital to the experience. What you are saying about a full house is true, but you only need 1,400 or so at Somerset to get a decent atmosphere going.

Sticklebrick by far the worst - seats designed for skinny 5ft midgets - I have bruised knees and elbows after every Derby. Crappilow is an utter dump but I don't actually mind it.

Best for view is East End Park but for pure atmosphere and also because of sentimental reasons (my first Scottish Cup game was there) - it has to be Gayfield.

Fair, but I have to say I'm not one that would judge catering and toilets as being vital to the experience. What you are saying about a full house is true, but you only need 1,400 or so at Somerset to get a decent atmosphere going.

There were over 2000 the last time we visited and I can't recall there being much in the way of atmosphere tbh.

Somerset is decent for away fans, though the seating area isn't the best. Definitely near the top but it's certainly not "comfortably" the best ground.

East End Park is the best stadium in the league in my very biased opinion. You'd struggle to get a bad view, the food is great and there are plenty of good pubs within walking distance.

My favourite away day is probably United because I enjoy a wee trip through to Dundee.

Anyone praising Ayr or Morton is on the wind-up or is an #AgainstModernFootball bore; Cappielow was gorgeous when we won the title in 2011 but most of the time it's a miserable dump.

I'm biased but genuinely love our ground. Look at it

IMG_3703.jpg

Quite like every ground I've been too. All quite unique.

Although really dislike going to Alloa. Inverness is also a really shite modern dull effort for me which is ashame, think that site had potential

The grassy end at Thistle

The Derry

The terracing and old school feel at Ayr and Morton

Tannadice is just a gloriously strange looking stadium, halfway between being modern and old school

Dunfermline for me is the tidiest all seater ground

Sorry for dropping in this thread as its a wee while since we were at these heights ( and we were terrible) . If you like cracking atmospheres then Somerset is up there but its facilities are dire. If you like , as I do now , to sit at a game then the narrow seats at Cappielow are murder. I enjoyed all the trips to Gayfied despite the wind and I liked the idea of switching ends if you wanted. It has a well maintained feel about it. On reflection I undervalued Palmerston and although I picked Firhill as best it was close. Having seen Alloa's rise to Championship level and experienced all its various terraces and "stands" its ok for what it is, and has great views of the Ochils if you get bored.  I have only been to Inverness twice and its boxes are fine for a good view of the game. The weird seats in Dens Park old stand were difficult if you were not a midget, and the new one came under the attention of Tayside cops and stewards who were officious. Only been in the old stand at Tannadice  for an Airdrie game ( Archibalds Spaniards) but I did see a good game against Falkirk in a Cup game a few years ago in the opposite stand -it was good. 

Voted Dens as the best. It's what I know, and you fall in love with your own stadium.

East End Park is objectively the best in the league, but it's too big for the club and it's completely soulless. It feels a lot bigger than it actually is (I thought it was about 4-5k bigger than Dens until I just checked there) and it holds some terrible footballing memories for me.

Gayfield is a cracking wee stadium but it's location right next to the sea means it's not conducive to watching 'good' football and you're often bloody freezing.

Edited by Ludo*1

Obviously Gayfield is the best ground in the league, but as we were asked not to pick our own ground, I went for Somerset. Only gripe is being forced to go to the stand or stand enclosure in the last few visits as they won't open the away terrace for us.

Worst has to be Inverness. I can't think of a good thing to say about it.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Having seen Alloa's rise to Championship level and experienced all its various terraces and "stands" its ok for what it is, and has great views of the Ochils if you get bored. 

There's only one ground in Scotland to view the Ochils from. It's near Larbert, but the name escapes me.

Voted Dens as the best. It's what I know, and you fall in love with your own stadium.
East End Park is objectively the best in the league, but it's too big for the club and it's completely soulless. It feels a lot bigger than it actually is (I thought it was about 4-5k bigger than Dens until I just checked there) and it holds some terrible footballing memories for me.
Gayfield is a cracking wee stadium but it's location right next to the sea means it's not conducive to watching 'good' football and you're often bloody freezing.

I know I repeat myself here, but Gayfield is fine the majority of the season.

Weather is no worse than anywhere else, when it's bad it is bad though. The Dundee game was bad before Christmas tbf.

So much depends on weather and what stand you’re put in. Dens for example is far from the worst stadium but when you’re cramped in the main stand it could easily lay claim to being one of the worst. Same applies to Cappielow really.

Gayfield is probably best as long as there isn’t a storm and East End is one of the better all seaters in the country, although it could do with some terracing.

14 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

You need a lot more than that to get a decent atmosphere at sumerset unless you count a dozen try hards shouting at each other through a fence as atmosphere.

This season we've been put in the main stand at Cappielow and its gotta to be a violation of human rights. In the proper away end its one of the best...but this season, the worst. 

Best, I went for Firhill believe it or not. Good view, comfortable enough, looking across at a grand old stand. 

Somerset was decent when it was a novelty to goto an old type ground but after a while its a pish view and the toilets are boggin and no proper scran. 

Quite a few I like. Arbroath is great with a wee pub opposite and steak and black pudding pies in the ground are excellent. As long as you're not in the main stand Partick is also decent. Queens is good in the away end and lots of good pubs nearby. My own club Dunfermline has the best food, good views and walking distance to town.   The worst is Alloa in my opinion. Open terrace behind goals, great when it's pishing down. Or that stupid gazebo that's like a wind tunnel.   Arbroath for me is best and as stated Alloa is fuckin shite. Special mention for the bogs at Ayr in the worst category.   

Edited by parslad

Genuinely never visited the toilets in the away end at Somerset, could somebody please summarise the experience and perhaps offer some kind of comparison that may put it in perspective for me?
Thanks in advance.
Have you seen Trainspotting?...

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
32 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:
Genuinely never visited the toilets in the away end at Somerset, could somebody please summarise the experience and perhaps offer some kind of comparison that may put it in perspective for me?
Thanks in advance.

Have you seen Trainspotting?...

Asked and answered. Thanks hombre. 

Best - Excluding Cappielow (which is both magnificent in its own right and should be kept as a heritage site as the oldest continuously used ground in Scottish football), I'd go for Somerset Park. Gayfield is good but I'm not sure that it's even the best ground in Angus - Station Park is pretty much the benchmark for what a small Scottish football ground should be.

Worst - Dens is piss-poor from an away perspective but the Derry would be an interesting place to watch football from. Firhill on the other hand has got no redeeming features at all, from its stupid empty bing behind one goal to its pigeon shit infested main stand. Remove the bizarre love-in for a 'day out in the West End' (because paying £4 for a bog-standard pint next to a bunch of Glasgow Uni students and egg chasers is a terrific away trip) and it would be generally recognised as crap.