League Reconstruction 20/21 season

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

UEFA are being very clear that their preference is to finish the season, and they've already suggested informally that it could go on until at least August, though they didn't put a date on it.

Therefore, the cut off date for deciding European places is probably still 4/5 months away at least.

Any chance they might truncate their tournaments and just move to group stages with the usual teams invited? They might be open to legal challenge, but could claim exceptional circumstances and it would allow them to start in September.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Depending on what Uefa do we'll probably have to allocate European places at some point, so how else would you do it?

Dundee United didn't win the league and Hearts didn't finish bottom (unfortunately).  I wouldn't be averse to null and void and not awarding any titles, but European spots will need to be decided.

If the season is null and void you go off last seasons tables and the same teams go back to Europe your only other choice is call it as it stands, this season either happened or it didn't, can't acknowledge some teams without acknowledging all teams.  If you can't finish it which looks likely you have to decide one way or the other.  Either way teams are going to be pissed off.  Ideally UEFA make the call for all leagues, which is probably what the SFA are hoping for as it avoids the Old Firm conspiracy whatever way they go.   

Edited by San Starko Rover

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Any chance they might truncate their tournaments and just move to group stages with the usual teams invited? They might be open to legal challenge, but could claim exceptional circumstances and it would allow them to start in September.

I think a change in format is probably very likely, but I reckon they'll try their best to get clubs from all countries involved in some way or other.

The 'abyss' argument is an interesting one. For some clubs, let's say Montrose, Forfar, Dumbarton and the like, the 'abyss' is about their level and maybe always will be.

As for clubs like Morton, Dunfermline and dare I say Saints, Livi, Accies etc they may well become yo yo clubs under an extended league, and I'm good with that. As it stands, the Championship is a killer for the vast majority of clubs - over the years it's taken 'big' clubs a long time to get out of it. United, Hibs, even Rangers couldn't get out at the first ask. By increasing the odds on being promoted (and of course marginally increasing the relegation odds in a bigger league) at least many more clubs can have a slice of the pie, and freshen the game up just a bit.

I'm very much in favour of a 16 team top tier, maybe the same in the second tier and in favour of keeping the third tier 10 teams and basically doing away with the fourth tier.

Personally if the season was declared over and reconstruction was an option, I'd like to see us go too 16-10-10-10

Nobody gets relegated from their respective leagues and the top 4 in each league from are promoted.

Edited by DavieCFC

56 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

If the season is null and void you go off last seasons tables and the same teams go back to Europe your only other choice is call it as it stands, this season either happened or it didn't, can't acknowledge some teams without acknowledging all teams.  If you can't finish it which looks likely you have to decide one way or the other.  Either way teams are going to be pissed off.  Ideally UEFA make the call for all leagues, which is probably what the SFA are hoping for as it avoids the Old Firm conspiracy whatever way they go.   

I doubt UEFA will be making the call. They'll say here's what's happening with our competitions, this is when teams can/will enter, you decide how to nominate participants. 

We're also talking from a football perspective, we haven't touched on the fact 'null and void' could void TV contracts, sponsorship etc and therefore not pay out.

I'd also challenge you saying you can't pick and choose. You can make the distinction between domestic matters and European ones. Obviously you can't not relegate Hearts but relegate someone else. You could quite easily say:

- domestically, null and void. No one won the title, no one got relegated etc.

- but we need to nominate 3/4 European clubs and we're going to take the top 3/4 teams from when we left off.

Ultimately you've nailed it. Someone is going to be pissed off here, and with some very strong justification.

On 01/04/2020 at 09:03, DA Baracus said:

Pretty sure most fans of lower league clubs don't want regional leagues. It's usually almost always fans of clubs who wouldn't be affected who call for regionalisation. I think the feeling is that it would get boring very quickly and derbies would quickly those their appeal.

How would it void sponsorship and TV contracts? What do these contracts actually say about such a scenario?

The honest answer is I don't know. However if the season is voided - i.e. it didn't happen, then surely firms contracted to pay us for that season are no longer legally obligated to do so.

Edited by The Reverend

This is the ideal time for us to let some of our "sleeping giants" get some of the European pizzazz that most of us have been enjoying of recent years. Let's let the Dundees and Particks of the football world take our European spots because they'll certainly not get there on merit anytime soon, or probably even the next 50 years. We could let Celtic into the champions league, because lets face it, they're our best team.

3 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

over the years it's taken 'big' clubs a long time to get out of it. United, Hibs, even Rangers couldn't get out at the first ask. 

Why is this a bad thing?

In a country where there is a struggle for almost all 42 senior teams to survive, if any reconstruction occurs it should reduce the number of league places - maybe unpopular but its unlikely we will have 42 clubs still in existence at the end of this anyways. The idea that the number of clubs is increased is lunacy and a further drain on already limited resources - both in terms of fans and money.

I don’t fancy a temporary increase of the top division, a bit feart of being caught out when 3 go down to reinstate the status quo, this fear would cascaded down to League 3.

i am not sure folk understand how excellent the split is, especially for the bottom half where it is cut throat for a five game play off period.

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

In a country where there is a struggle for almost all 42 senior teams to survive, if any reconstruction occurs it should reduce the number of league places - maybe unpopular but its unlikely we will have 42 clubs still in existence at the end of this anyways.

Oddly Darwinian suggestion,  especially when the club you support is struggling to stay solvent.

Edited by Mr Heliums

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

In a country where there is a struggle for almost all 42 senior teams to survive, if any reconstruction occurs it should reduce the number of league places - maybe unpopular but its unlikely we will have 42 clubs still in existence at the end of this anyways. The idea that the number of clubs is increased is lunacy and a further drain on already limited resources - both in terms of fans and money.

Let's operate on the time-established 'last in, first out' principle then and chuck all the teuchter bumpkin outfits like yours back to the Highland League where they belong.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Playing devils advocate here.

Should United be allowed promotion after posting such heavy losses? It could he argued they have financially cheated their way to the title. Interesting to see championship fans are not more pissed off about that.

A loss isn't necessarily cheating though. Maybe in some cases, but not all.

If a club can't go up due to a loss then Dundee United, Inverness, Dundee, Dunfermline and Partick Thistle* can't be promoted this season (maybe others; would need to check).

Raith and Falkirk can't go up. Maybe others.

*Yes, I know

5 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Playing devils advocate here.

Should United be allowed promotion after posting such heavy losses? It could he argued they have financially cheated their way to the title. Interesting to see championship fans are not more pissed off about that.

That loss isn't for this season. A lot of that loss has been, as has been explained numerous times, because of the continual payoffs, major overhauls to infrastructure, ie Tannadice itself. Those losses were to June last year. Since then the club has got rid of almost an entire 1st team and the current squad is smaller than last season. Would interested in seeing what the figures are for this season up to the halt, as that would be more accurate for your argument.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

A loss isn't necessarily cheating though. Maybe in some cases, but not all.

If a club can't go up due to a loss then Dundee United, Inverness, Dundee, Dunfermline and Partick Thistle* can't be promoted this season (maybe others; would need to check).

Raith and Falkirk can't go up. Maybe others.

*Yes, I know

This where I am as well, although I have to admit whatever the argument I'll be seen as biased!