Largest points gap recovered.

johnnydun

With all the arguments going on about clubs being crowned champions because they are X amount of points ahead;

What is the largest points gap that has been recovered to win a league or avoid relegation and in how many games?

With all the arguments going on about clubs being crowned champions because they are X amount of points ahead;

What is the largest points gap that has been recovered to win a league or avoid relegation and in how many games?

Mid February 2017 St. Mirren (10th) were 12 points behind both Raith (in 8th) and Dumbarton (in 7th) with 12 games to go.

We finished above both of them.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Did Morton not blow a commanding lead a few of seasons ago?

2003/04, Second Division. At New Year Morton had a 12 point lead having played 16 games and won 11, drawn 4, lost 1, for 37 points. In their next 20 games they only gathered another 22 points having won 5, drawn 7 and lost 8, to finish in fourth place. They were a scarcely believable 11 points off top-of-the-table Airdrie, and 3 points off the second promotion place. 

This is one of the reasons why I have a preference for voiding this season rather than crowing champions, although the leads at the top of the first, second and fourth tiers of Scottish football are too big to dismiss. 

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

2003/04, Second Division. At New Year Morton had a 12 point lead having played 16 games and won 11, drawn 4, lost 1, for 37 points. In their next 20 games they only gathered another 22 points having won 5, drawn 7 and lost 8, to finish in fourth place. They were a scarcely believable 11 points off top-of-the-table Airdrie, and 3 points off the second promotion place. 

This is one of the reasons why I have a preference for voiding this season rather than crowing champions, although the leads at the top of the first, second and fourth tiers of Scottish football are too big to dismiss. 

I'm quite happy dismissing the leads at the top of the first and second tiers - f*** 'em...

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

I remember that. Did it not lead to accusations that they deliberately threw the league?

10 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

I remember that. Did it not lead to accusations that they deliberately threw the league?

It did, and they had to refute accusations of match fixing. IIRC there was nothing more to that than idle suspicion about how their form dropped so dramatically. It was probably more just a good run than anything else - if a club had a run like that mid or late season, nobody would have thought anything of it. The lead was also exaggerated by no other club having a decent start to the season; second place after 16 games with only 25 points isn't normal.

Raith Rovers' capitulation in 1980-81 deserves a mention. With 10 games remaining they were second top of the First Division (second tier), two points behind eventual champions Hibernian with two games in hand, and 13 points ahead of Dundee, who would overcome that deficit to claim the second promotion place.

Some going, considering it was two points for a win back then.

On 16/03/2020 at 13:31, GordonS said:

It did, and they had to refute accusations of match fixing. IIRC there was nothing more to that than idle suspicion about how their form dropped so dramatically. It was probably more just a good run than anything else - if a club had a run like that mid or late season, nobody would have thought anything of it. The lead was also exaggerated by no other club having a decent start to the season; second place after 16 games with only 25 points isn't normal.

That was a season to remember. I had a friend who was a Morton fan from Glasgow. I had given him directions to meet before the November game but  in pre sat nav days, he got lost and made his own way to the stadium. Morton gubbed us 6-1 and we met at the end of the game and he was all smiles. We also had lost at Cappielow. There certainly were rumours about some betting dodges ( Australian players?-)  and they did collapse . I think Hamilton caught them and might even have taken 6 of them in Hamilton. Our turning point was bringing in Paul Lovering /  a very talented young Willie McLaren, Mark Roberts and Owen Coyle on loan. We did manage a draw at Cappielow and as their season imploded, my friend did not visit for our 2-0 win in Airdrie ,whilst already being League winners.  Oh for that squad of players over the last few seasons.

Pretty sure Stenhousemuir also blew a substantial lead in 2005-06.

Raith Rovers 1980-81, Stenhousemuir 2005-06. Now if only I could remember an occasion when Hertz absolutely Hertzed a league from a winning position we could get it right round these On the Terrace c***s 

Edited by Angusfifer

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks and thems the boys. If I remember they were good midfielders and John then departed for other triumphs at Ayr? Probably back in Australia now.

John did play for Ayr. It wasn't a memorable spell, but we were rank at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

As ICTChris said, Dundee were 15 ahead of us in late 2009 and we ended up 12 ahead of them in April 2010 when we won the league. 

A cool 27 point swing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/03/2020 at 13:15, Richey Edwards said:

A Saints supporting mate of mine who worked in the Greenock Postal Sorting Office at the time claims to have started that rumour - ssssshhhhh!