Fix it now

Anyone turning a blind eye to the deterioration of our game should look at the stats declining fanbase and resources, one of the main reasons is well posted league structure, fans are fed up with present boring setup. Thankfully a few of our Premiership bosses are now leaning towards change, I spoke to a SFA official recently who stated that Premiership would not allow it, but in my own view the main stumbling block is the old firm. Only people who could force  this issue is the Scottish football fans, change is needed for all concerned. 

9 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Anyone turning a blind eye to the deterioration of our game should look at the stats declining fanbase and resources, one of the main reasons is well posted league structure, fans are fed up with present boring setup. Thankfully a few of our Premiership bosses are now leaning towards change, I spoke to a SFA official recently who stated that Premiership would not allow it, but in my own view the main stumbling block is the old firm. Only people who could force  this issue is the Scottish football fans, change is needed for all concerned. 

You should write in.

I agree that Scottish football is broke however Scotland has the highest attendances per head in Europe so the fans continue to support it. The SFA are still making their money and the TV companies are getting 4-5 old firm games a season. Sadly these are signs to the hierarchy that everything is great so I don't see anything changing anytime soon. The SFA/SPFL are so incompetent I doubt they will see this situation as any sort of opportunity to make any changes. 

Out of interest what changes would you make?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2020 at 11:59, thomas 62 said:

Unsubstantiated horse shite.

In season 17/18 over 1.25 million more people watched Scottish football than the last season of the old double round robin in 74/75

In fact more people watched Scottish football that season than any time since 1960

ETA 2018/19 was actually even slightly more than 2017/18

Edited by EdTheDuck
18/19 numbers

Stats on how vibrant Scottish football is based on crowd numbers per head of population are skewed as we have two clubs who see 50k plus crowds every home game and they play lots of home games. As a balance, we also have teams in the top flight who struggle to get 3000 at some home games.

Any change in setup will still see two teams dominate and a massive collective hard on if anyone outside these two manages to finish third.

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Stats on how vibrant Scottish football is based on crowd numbers per head of population are skewed as we have two clubs who see 50k plus crowds every home game and they play lots of home games. As a balance, we also have teams in the top flight who struggle to get 3000 at some home games.

Still pretty high compared to most European leagues even without them

3 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Any change in setup will still see two teams dominate and a massive collective hard on if anyone outside these two manages to finish third.

Scottish football attendances without Celtic and Rangers* figures are still in the top 15 of European top flights. 

That's not too shabby.

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

Scottish football attendances without Celtic and Rangers* figures are still in the top 15 of European top flights. 

That's not too shabby.

Is that total numbers or % of population?

A fairer comparison would be the average of the attendances of other leagues with the top two removed as well. Could see Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, etc take a big hit too

28 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Is that total numbers or % of population?

A fairer comparison would be the average of the attendances of other leagues with the top two removed as well. Could see Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, etc take a big hit too

Average attendance figures.

• 4 months later...

Think any club who can average 4-5,000 isn't doing too bad, considering the power of Glasgow, Edinburgh. Suppose the startling thing to an outsider is seeing a club get 500 in a professional league,whether they're part time or not. Think we have to take average crowds against a much changed world nowadays - with the many options that people have on offer.