Clubs going bust due to cv19

21 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I think you have a bit of a rose tinted view of the situation the players find themselves in.
It’s a given that footballers love playing the game but in the case of full time players it is their livelihood.
Mortgages and bills need to be paid and some guys will need to make some very hard decisions in the not too distant future.

I said in my post that it's likely they'll try and find other work whilst football isn't around, but why wouldn't they play football again when they have the option to do so, unless they were making more money outside the game (unlikely for most).

I think a few clubs might just shut up shop and try and ride the storm till it's done losing as little money as possible and then working with the piles of uncontacted players available when this is over.

No point topping up 20 guys salaries if you cant fulfil the games and pay them for nothing or you pay them with a budget that has crowds added to it which may not be viable etc. 

I'm not sure this will happen to be honest. I can't speak for other clubs, but at Dumbarton Duffy has said that all of the players are fully understanding of the situation and even though he wants to keep most of them here we can't offer them anything until the new season comes clearer. We will absolutely need to release these players at the end of their deals and I don't think we should be expecting them to come back if they don't want to. But I'm struggling to see why the player in this instance would feel any ill-will towards the club here? They had a contract, the club has honoured it as best they can given the circumstances and sadly didn't have the resources to offer them a new deal. What else is the player expecting?
Some players might leave the game altogether and find themselves other work, but I think that number will be tiny. Footballers generally love playing football more than painting and decorating or delivering for DPD, so whilst they may find other work when no football is on, I reckon you'll find most of them are happy to return when it comes back.

Raith chairman has explicitly stated that Raith will be extending the contracts of all players, regardless of whether they want to re-sign them for next season, so that they can have an income for as long as the furlough scheme exists.

42 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Raith chairman has explicitly stated that Raith will be extending the contracts of all players, regardless of whether they want to re-sign them for next season, so that they can have an income for as long as the furlough scheme exists.

I applaud him. I don't see many other clubs in this division having deep enough pockets to do that.

I said in my post that it's likely they'll try and find other work whilst football isn't around, but why wouldn't they play football again when they have the option to do so, unless they were making more money outside the game (unlikely for most).

Not so unlikely if you are talking about full time players in the Championship downwards.
Majority of those guys will be on relatively modest salaries.

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I applaud him. I don't see many other clubs in this division having deep enough pockets to do that.

I haven’t seen any particular quotes but I suspect he is only talking about the current scheme which doesn’t require any contribution from the employer and not when it moves to part government payment part employer(end of July I believe)

I haven’t seen anything from the spfl about allowing clubs to offer short term deals yet either which is a frustrating complication(currently you need to offer deals until the next transfer window) it really should have been cleaned up by now but the spfl has spent most of its time dealing with the cry babies at hearts and rangers instead of concentrating on how to adjust the rules for the current climate.

I haven’t seen any particular quotes but I suspect he is only talking about the current scheme which doesn’t require any contribution from the employer and not when it moves to part government payment part employer(end of July I believe)

Yes, the statement (which was made in our player of the year awards ceremony video) was made before the chancellors latest update to the scheme as far as I remember.

I’d need to watch it again but I’m sure he mentioned short-term extensions as if it wouldn’t be a problem. And he did also caveat with something along the lines of “as long as the scheme continues in it’s current format”.

So yeah, I’d expect Raith to offer short term extensions to all players until the end of July, and thus ensure they’ll get 80% of their wages at no cost to the club.

I can’t understand why any club wouldn’t do that to be fair.

So yeah, I’d expect Raith to offer short term extensions to all players until the end of July, and thus ensure they’ll get 80% of their wages at no cost to the club.

Indeed, since it won’t cost them a penny why not?

8 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Yes, the statement (which was made in our player of the year awards ceremony video) was made before the chancellors latest update to the scheme as far as I remember.

I’d need to watch it again but I’m sure he mentioned short-term extensions as if it wouldn’t be a problem. And he did also caveat with something along the lines of “as long as the scheme continues in it’s current format”.

They have to pay the wages first then claim it from the government after I believe?

If the cash isn't there in the first place then its a non starter? 

18 hours ago, parsforlife said:

This is in a closed door scenario where income is very low yet clubs need to field squads. 

Once we get fans back in the stadiums we’ll be virtually back to normal.  

Scottish football won't restart behind closed doors. The old firm might be able to webcast games on a subscription basis but for most teams it isn't practical. Football is a social thing. Fans would likely order a single webcast and congregate at a mates house with a few beers. No matchday food, drink, programme or 50/50 revenue. There won't be a closed door scenario for the lower leagues. Clubs don't have the time, money and expertise to make webcasting work across 42 clubs.

We open clubs to spectators or we don't play. Whether that's August with no Betfred group games or September/October with no challenge cup, Scottish football needs fans through turnstiles. Once contracts exhaust we'll see clubs mothballed. We need to hope that enough people care when restrictions are lifted to want to return to our collective Saturday obsession. It's inevitable that we'll all see some fans walking away from football.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We announced we were doing that too. Minimum end of june but would would expect it to be extended to the end of July at least.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Sorry I misunderstood what you'd said previously. I thought all contracts had to be at least until the next transfer window so I'm not sure offering a 1-2 month deal to players is even possible. I thought what you were saying previously was that the Raith chairman had pledged to pay them wages out of his own pocket.

Sorry I misunderstood what you'd said previously. I thought all contracts had to be at least until the next transfer window so I'm not sure offering a 1-2 month deal to players is even possible. I thought what you were saying previously was that the Raith chairman had pledged to pay them wages out of his own pocket.
Unless they change things then the shortest contract that could be offered is to the next transfer window. Would be fine if furlough is extended to then but if not could be paying a full squad with little to no income.

There is a number of players at Clyde that I would like us to try and resign but doubt we can afford to do so given the way things are currently. There is a couple of players we would be due a development fee for but would need to offer them a new contract at their current terms, again can't see that being affordable.

48 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Unless they change things then the shortest contract that could be offered is to the next transfer window. Would be fine if furlough is extended to then but if not could be paying a full squad with little to no income.

There is a number of players at Clyde that I would like us to try and resign but doubt we can afford to do so given the way things are currently. There is a couple of players we would be due a development fee for but would need to offer them a new contract at their current terms, again can't see that being affordable.

I think this is going to be a minefield moving forwards. In the next while, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a feeding frenzy over players who might have been offered new deals who opt to move clubs.  I can see tears and snotters when clubs lose their better players because they can't offer contracts due to uncertainty, and clubs in a more fortunate position can poach players. It'll be interesting to see the first one where this happens. 

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Fifa agreed that contracts could be extended until the season was completed even if that was beyond June. But as we have now ‘completed’ our season how can contracts be extended?

I guess they can keep them employed and furloughed without registering them as players.

Since most of these players will be monthly paid, you can actually get the money from the government before you pay out wages.

As expected this is gonna be a messy time for Scottish clubs.

Dunfermline and Annan openly saying its going to be a struggle financially and could even spell the end.

Think this is the case for alot of clubs even in the SPL.

Worrying times for Scottish Football.
Sorry to take issue with the OP which was posted over 2 months ago but when exactly did Dunfermline say this could spell the end?

4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
On 14/03/2020 at 15:22, sirscottyoung said:

As expected this is gonna be a messy time for Scottish clubs.

Dunfermline and Annan openly saying its going to be a struggle financially and could even spell the end.

Think this is the case for alot of clubs even in the SPL.

Worrying times for Scottish Football.

Sorry to take issue with the OP which was posted over 2 months ago but when exactly did Dunfermline say this could spell the end?

Dunfermline said that it would be a massive financial issue. Look back to the date it was posted and check your clubs statements... thanks

Dunfermline said that it would be a massive financial issue. Look back to the date it was posted and check your clubs statements... thanks
I'll ask again then, when did dunfermline say it could be the end?

Thanks