Clubs going bust due to cv19

5 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Oxford uni boffin on the news yesterday and today suggesting that if they get the finger out on doing human trialing the vaccine could be available by September. Usually the whole process takes a lot longer (as in years) but they reckon they have a working anti-virus that is the real deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52329659

This woman has been dismissed as living in cloud cookoo land by other experts in the same field.

Even if they get a fully working  vaccine by September where will it be manufactured - certainly not the UK. Trump will then engage his pirates to head it off at the pass or just buy the factory like he tried to with the German lab.   

This UK government can't even be relied on to get masks and gowns on time , let alone brand new bespoke vaccines. 

It's dangerous giving Trump-like false hope like this. 

8 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

This woman has been dismissed as living in cloud cookoo land by other experts in the same field.

Even if they get a fully working  vaccine by September where will it be manufactured - certainly not the UK. Trump will then engage his pirates to head it off at the pass or just buy the factory like he tried to with the German lab.   

This UK government can't even be relied on to get masks and gowns on time , let alone brand new bespoke vaccines. 

It's dangerous giving Trump-like false hope like this. 

Here's a bit more fun...

"Tony Fauci is saying a year to 18 months -- I think that's optimistic," said Dr. Peter Hotez, a leading expert on infectious disease and vaccine development at Baylor College of Medicine. "Maybe if all the stars align, but probably longer."

"Dr. Paul Offit, the co-inventor of the successful rotavirus vaccine, put it more bluntly.
"When Dr. Fauci said 12 to 18 months, I thought that was ridiculously optimistic," he told CNN. "And I'm sure he did, too.""
Edited by TxRover

On 14/03/2020 at 19:00, the snudge said:

Perhaps buying season tickets for the  next year or two in advance even at a reduced rate would give clubs an instant cash flow but it depends on how flush the fans are? That would only be keeping the wolves at bay for a while. 

Yea for a short time perhaps but are we guaranteed a season in 2020/21  ???

9 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

I think you'll find they were in a financial mess before Covid, all its likely to have done is bring the closure forward.

Although I would much rather my club, or (almost) everyone else's club, never went bust it wouldn't be as frightening as it was when Hugh Scott was in charge and we would have been replaced by Spartans or someone and stuck in the Juniors like Clydebank. Now there's a pyramid in place and the march through the leagues might be a good laugh.

43 minutes ago, Countryman said:

I think you'll find they were in a financial mess before Covid, all its likely to have done is bring the closure forward.

True, but there are a few clubs in a financial mess and many of them are in the premiership.

Rangers are the ones that stand out. Could it be they haven’t learnt from recent history?

On 20/04/2020 at 16:47, nofixedability said:

How well have we done so far in matching those countries?

Don’t know the figures exactly but certainly we have done much better up here in Scotland where per capita we have 50% less deaths, than England , the U.K. as a whole ( england ) has not done well at all for many reasons but mostly due to delays and inactivity of the government and also some unbelievably poor decisions but what more do you expect from a government ( Westminster) that cheered when they narrowly won a vote NOT to give NHS workers a pay increase , on top of that they removed the £5000 bursaries for nurses , meanwhile in Scotland we kept the bursary in place with a proposal to increase to £10000.

On 20/04/2020 at 18:40, TxRover said:

Let’s see...

Typical combination of whataboutism and fantasy.

False.

The economy was booming already

The market was still returning less than under other Presidents.

Really, has he? Nope, he’s destroyed the immigration system and courts, though.

He has? No, the economy had because it was hiring anybody because the taxes were reduced on businesses DESPITE not being necessary and causing the deficit to skyrocket....but Republican’s don’t care when they are in power. This is kind of the “but I have a black friend” argument.

Name a conflict Trump got us out of...we’re in more now than before.

Calling Israel a progressive state is akin to calling UKIP a group of mild mannered British fans.

PC nonsense, eh? Like treating female reporters like human beings rather than inferior beings?

Recognized the hopelessness of the EU...exactly how? Because of his bleating statements? His objections to its standards that impeded some of his projects? The fact they didn’t cow down to him and kiss his ass?

Dude, you seriously need help. It’s gonna be a tough decade as the corruption, veniality and self-interest comes to light after the orange buffoon leaves office. The trail of paperwork, reports and memos is even now making clear his lies, and will only snowball. 

That's not PC, that's just good manners and common courtesy.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That tends to be what most people who complain about political correctness are talking about - wanting to be an utter cuntceratops to people without redress.

I get the impression that, rather than getting the verbal ticking-off they dislike, most would have been in receipt of a few slaps in the "good old days".

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Agreed, but that’s what some “Conservative” types call PC. Couple of boards I peek in on occasionally (keeping tabs on the nutters) over here have spent the time ranting about how females reporters should be banned, they should be home having more “good” (white?) American babies.

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Agreed, but that’s what some “Conservative” types call PC. Couple of boards I peek in on occasionally (keeping tabs on the nutters) over here have spent the time ranting about how females reporters should be banned, they should be home having more “good” (white?) American babies.

Let's see some pics before I pass judgement on that statement.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Let's see some pics before I pass judgement on that statement.

You want pictures of good American babies?

Reported.

All the more bizarre that he mentioned two clubs that also reformed after death, although he only seems aware of one.

Maybe it was all just a dream.

On 25/04/2020 at 06:39, EdinburghBlue said:

Methinks Alan Patullo, writing in today’s Scotsman on Belgian clubs going bust, could have come up with a better example from Scotland
IMG_0228.jpg

19 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

All the more bizarre that he mentioned two clubs that also reformed after death, although he only seems aware of one.

Maybe it was all just a dream.

With a skewed outlook like that maybe Mr Patullo is one of them strange flat earth types...........or maybe he's just a closet bluenose.

He writes for the Yoonsmon FFS. If it's true that papers are on the verge of going bust, I hope they're the first. Only people who will miss it are roasters like Jill Stephenson and that guy from New Cut Rig who'll need to find somewhere else to send their daily SNP Baaaaaad letter, and folk that need something to stick on the floor when they're house training puppies.