Clubs going bust due to cv19

50 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Do you want to calibrate the number of deaths to the number of infections in percentage terms, rather than quote on comparing the total deaths from 500 different flu strains against the number of deaths against relatively few infections of a single virus Covid-19?
Genuinely, I think you might be the biggest idiot I’ve been in contact with on P and B and that’s going some on here.....

In time we’ll see who the idiot is?

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

So just to be clear here, if the lockdown works, you are going to proclaim victory as the numbers never reached the levels that we were warned could happen?
Priceless emoji16.png

We were told by Ferguson that the best possible scenario with lockdown would be 20000 deaths.

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Over what time period?

It certainly goes through to August but there may be a further upsurge so not really clear to what time span the 250 k and 20 k relate to.

I would imagine we’ll have a fair indication on the direction of travel within the next few weeks.

Anyway, there’s no need to throw abuse about. Time will tell.

I believe it’s probably 2 years but you can happily validate here:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Still not clear on your point. Is 20,000 deaths in the UK an insignificant figure in your opinion?

I’m a betting man but betting on how many people will die in the UK is not my thing. So I’m out.....

Yes- some social distancing is helpful but the doomsday scenario is way off the mark.
In Scotland we currently have 51 cases in Intensive Care which doesn’t seem a lot to me for the whole NHS estate.
Obviously, the deaths will increase as the total infected increase.
In the Uk, annual flu deaths can vary between 3k up to 20k in a bad year and, in comparison cv deaths seem miniscule so far (Hundreds , I think). Also, how many of those would have died with normal flu? One person was 105.
Rather than following so called experts I prefer to use instinct, which tells me that this cannot go on as the negatives will soon outweigh any solution to the disease.Recession or depression will cause more deaths than any virus.
As often happens, I think Trump may well prove to be correct in the long run.
Just my opinion.

“so called experts”
The phrase of choice of moon howling, reactionary, right wing, old nutters.

10 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I believe it’s probably 2 years but you can happily validate here:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Still not clear on your point. Is 20,000 deaths in the UK an insignificant figure in your opinion?

I’m a betting man but betting on how many people will die in the UK is not my thing. So I’m out.....

20000 is very significant but that’s what we had from a bad flu year a number of years ago.

We didn’t trash the economy then.

9 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

“so called experts”
The phrase of choice of moon howling, reactionary, right wing, old nutters.

What did experts tell us?

we needed to slaughter untold numbers of cattle during the swine fever epidemic. Proved to be wrong.

Our economy would collapse if we didn’t join the euro. Wrong.

I could go on.

“The top three in the Premiership - Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell - will receive £395,000 plus VAT.

The rest of the top flight clubs will get £157,500 plus VAT.

The payments dip significantly down the divisions. Championship clubs are due to be paid £26,500 plus VAT, League One clubs £2,700 plus VAT and League Two clubs £1,350 plus VAT.”

Horrendous disparity there.
I knew it was bad, I didn’t realise it was quite that bad.