Clubs going bust due to cv19

Prof neil Ferguson now pulling back on his doomsday scenario. Now predicting that NHS can cope.
He was the guy who screwed up over swine fever.
Trump reckons we’ll be back to normal by Easter so - who knows?

Is that because Trump is the fountain of all knowledge?…[emoji16]

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Is that because Trump is the fountain of all knowledge?…emoji16.png

At least he appreciates that the cure can be worse than the disease.

without a functioning economy deaths will spiral out of control.

A new study from Oxford reckons that herd immunity may well have kicked in already.

All I’m saying is that we need to keep an open mind on this. Just accepting everything politicians and flawed scientists (Ferguson) say won’t get us very far.

A new study from Oxford reckons that herd immunity may well have kicked in already.
All I’m saying is that we need to keep an open mind on this. Just accepting everything politicians and flawed scientists (Ferguson) say won’t get us very far.

Please refer to fig 2 to see how utterly nonsensical the US approach to this is:
https://buff.ly/2xjnf2x

26 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Please refer to fig 2 to see how utterly nonsensical the US approach to this is:
https://buff.ly/2xjnf2x

Yes- some social distancing is helpful but the doomsday scenario is way off the mark.

In Scotland we currently have 51 cases in Intensive Care which doesn’t seem a lot to me for the whole NHS estate.

Obviously, the deaths will increase as the total infected increase.

In the Uk, annual flu deaths can vary between 3k up to 20k in a bad year and, in comparison cv deaths seem miniscule so far (Hundreds , I think). Also, how many of those would have died with normal flu? One person was 105.

Rather than following so called experts I prefer to use instinct, which tells me that this cannot go on as the negatives will soon outweigh any solution to the disease.Recession or depression will cause more deaths than any virus.

As often happens, I think Trump may well prove to be correct in the long run.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Yes- some social distancing is helpful but the doomsday scenario is way off the mark.

In Scotland we currently have 51 cases in Intensive Care which doesn’t seem a lot to me for the whole NHS estate.

Obviously, the deaths will increase as the total infected increase.

In the Uk, annual flu deaths can vary between 3k up to 20k in a bad year and, in comparison cv deaths seem miniscule so far (Hundreds , I think). Also, how many of those would have died with normal flu? One person was 105.

Rather than following so called experts I prefer to use instinct, which tells me that this cannot go on as the negatives will soon outweigh any solution to the disease.Recession or depression will cause more deaths than any virus.

Just my opinion.

Up to 800 deaths a day in Italy is hardly minuscule and bear in mind that they don't count deaths at home or in care homes so will be much higher. ~This is the percentage  level we will likely be at in 2-3 weeks.

Spot on , we were told the last time that the wage bill would only be as high as the gate money , if that was true we would not have to pay off the bank now .... as I’ve said before the club have a poor financial record and should be open and transparent to ALL , as you say the Facebook clique don’t fool anyone , when I stand at Stair Park everyone around me has the same issues with the way the club is run .... all cloak and dagger stuff 

The problem is that the gate money for the season is less than the minimum cost of a squad given the minimum wage legislation. (To be fair this applies to most part time teams in Scotland.). It’s the prize money and lottery income that keeps us going.

If the club has used the Rangers money to pay off the bank overdraft it did the right thing. My concern from last year’s accounts was that while the club was overall in the black, this was because of the value placed on the Fitba Bar. Cash was substantially less than short-term bank borrowings, which could be called in within a year. We might have had a lot of difficulty in selling off the pub quickly if this had proven necessary. Hopefully we are no longer relying on a bank to stay in business and we can retain the bar into the long term.

22 minutes ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Up to 800 deaths a day in Italy is hardly minuscule and bear in mind that they don't count deaths at home or in care homes so will be much higher. ~This is the percentage  level we will likely be at in 2-3 weeks.

There are a lot of special reasons as to why Italy is so bad.

Anyway, let’s have this conversation in a few weeks time (hopefully we are both around) and we will see how correct each of us is.

Just my opinion.

Is there an award for the most stupid post of the year on P&B?

The government was told that without action there would have been around 750k deaths in the UK. There is now some optimism that we may be able to keep this to ~20k.

Trump is a well known anti-vaxxer. Presumably when a vaccine is developed you will turn down the offer of a dose?

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Is there an award for the most stupid post of the year on P&B?

The government was told that without action there would have been around 750k deaths in the UK. There is now some optimism that we may be able to keep this to ~20k.

Trump is a well known anti-vaxxer. Presumably when a vaccine is developed you will turn down the offer of a dose?

You obviously believe everything that Neil Ferguson says who was completely wrong with swine flu.

He is now throttling back because he knows his ‘end of the world’ theory was wrong.

You should read the new Oxford report that states that a large proportion of us probably already have herd immunity.

Lets see who made the most stupid post in a couple of weeks?

You obviously believe everything that Neil Ferguson says who was completely wrong with swine flu.
He is now throttling back because he knows his ‘end of the world’ theory was wrong.
You should read the new Oxford report that states that a large proportion of us probably already have herd immunity.

If you take contingent action early such as increase beds or lockdown, it’s not unreasonable to be more confident that the impact will reduce.
It’s not an admission of error, it’s a recognition that you have mitigated risk, you idiot.
Italy is NOT a current example of poor management of the situation as they have responded to the early errors and the percentage numbers are coming down.
In the US and particularly New York the controls are poor and we will shortly see very serious issues over there.
Genuinely I’m not sure why I’m bothering as you are obviously a right wing, head in the sand, ignoramus....

16 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Our diaries are pretty clear now, so let's all just pencil in "Dawson Park Boy making a c**t of himself again" for two weeks today. Looking forward to it.

15 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

If you take contingent action early such as increase beds or lockdown, it’s not unreasonable to be more confident that the impact will reduce.
It’s not an admission of error, it’s a recognition that you have mitigated risk, you idiot.
Italy is NOT a current example of poor management of the situation as they have responded to the early errors and the percentage numbers are coming down.
In the US and particularly New York the controls are poor and we will shortly see very serious issues over there.
Genuinely I’m not sure why I’m bothering as you are obviously a right wing, head in the sand, ignoramus....

Last year the UK had 14000 deaths from flu despite most at risk people being vaccinated.

CV has recorded about 500 deaths so far with most of those being elderly (one was 105} or at risk.

I rest my case.

Anyway, we’ll  soon find out whether it was worth it or not.

12 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Last year the UK had 14000 deaths from flu despite most at risk people being vaccinated.

CV has recorded about 500 deaths so far with most of those being elderly (one was 105} or at risk.

I rest my case.

I take it you either have no clue about what's going on in Italy and Spain or you are a Daily Sport reader.

Just out of curiosity.

Are you also a Flat Earthist?

I think I can guess what your opinion on the moon landings, although that could be at odds with with other beliefs if you also think Elvis is driving a double decker up there with Hitler as his conductor.

I agree that there is a balance to be had between stemming the spread of the disease and allowing the economy survive.

In fact I had a debate with work colleagues over the past few days regarding whether our company should close and if it did would we have a job to go back to (defence sector so not mandated to close).

But surely we absolutely should be listening to scientists? Of course they may get it wrong sometimes but they get it absolutely right more often than ‘gut feelings’ or politicians with vested interests like Trump.

I rest my case.

Do you want to calibrate the number of deaths to the number of infections in percentage terms, rather than quote on comparing the total deaths from 500 different flu strains against the number of deaths against relatively few infections of a single virus Covid-19?
Genuinely, I think you might be the biggest idiot I’ve been in contact with on P and B and that’s going some on here.....