Clubs going bust due to cv19

Well, if the 80% salary support from the Government covers footballers, that’s a huge relief to most clubs.

Might apply to full time players as that is their only job but can’t see that players will be able to claim for their main job AND PT one too!

Might apply to full time players as that is their only job but can’t see that players will be able to claim for their main job AND PT one too!

So on that basis my office cleaner should has three part time cleaning jobs to make ends meet should only get 80% for one of them?

Just seen this via the Peterhead FB page. Looks like everyone at the club is taking one for the team, but no mention if the players are taking one for the team! ...but surely???

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/peterhead-fc/2089972/peterhead-reduce-hours-of-non-playing-staff-as-general-manager-martin-johnston-reveals-emotional-decisions/

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

My reading of the subsidy is that it will be employers making the claim rather than employees so I don't see why an individual with two jobs would be adversely affected.

That's the way I understood it. Clubs will apply to HMRC and HMRC will give the money to the clubs so that they can continue to pay players and staff.

So it shouldn't matter whether you have one job or five jobs, as long as you're a salaried employee, your employer should be able to claim the 80% up to £25k.

Edited by Gordon EF

On 19/03/2020 at 07:08, EdinburghBlue said:

Er, when our financial position was dire we repaid all the debts. We couldn’t take the easy way out of administration, since not available to us as a members' club.

Well if we paid off all our debt we must have run up loads more as we are now being told that the majority of the Rangers money paid off our debt and there is enough left to pay players wages for a short while , I know it’s a very difficult job to run our club on such a small support but because we don’t know the figures involved I find it hard to work out how we can build up such large debts when running such a tight ship !

6 hours ago, Dunderheid said:

Just seen this via the Peterhead FB page. Looks like everyone at the club is taking one for the team, but no mention if the players are taking one for the team! ...but surely???

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/peterhead-fc/2089972/peterhead-reduce-hours-of-non-playing-staff-as-general-manager-martin-johnston-reveals-emotional-decisions/

Imagine how bad it would have been if they hadn't got McAllister off the payroll. 

Guess the big questions alongside cash reserves are who still has any additional income coming in and how many players on the books are tied up for next season and can't be released.  In our case it's Not much, Bugger all and 9 (2 of which are teenagers) Obviously the more players on the books the bigger the drain on reserves and cash you'll need to raise as if this drags on most clubs will offload every player they can to keep their heads above water.  Our board have been upfront with the fans on the situation and we've obviously been proactive in setting up ways our fans can contribute. Bad times for clubs and players if this drags on.  

Well if we paid off all our debt we must have run up loads more as we are now being told that the majority of the Rangers money paid off our debt and there is enough left to pay players wages for a short while , I know it’s a very difficult job to run our club on such a small support but because we don’t know the figures involved I find it hard to work out how we can build up such large debts when running such a tight ship !

The accounts are made available to members.

On 21/03/2020 at 18:43, kvz2000 said:

The last public utterance that I saw on Stranraer's financial position, came from someone senior at the club... to the effect that the money

from the Rangers game would keep the club going for the next 4 years.  Perhaps I picked it up wrong, but that's how I recall it.

19 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The accounts are made available to members.

Interesting one. 

I decided against membership long ago, because ......

a. I live a long way away.

b. I consider that important decisions remain with those who live in the community/can regularly attend matches.

As I recall, 2008, when the last time the club ran into financial difficulties... the then chairman blurted out on some BBC radio broadcast...

"We're £250,000 in debt, we'll be bust in 6 months....". Everyone rallied around to help, from other clubs also.,

The next time round, season and a half ago, when players had to be let go, and the struggle to stay in League 1 began, the club closed in on itself,

and the basic attitude was, and remains, "If you're not a member, you're not entitled to know anything.."  In addition, the Facebook page of supporters

had been set up, and , as I predicted, it was, and is,  a cheerleading group.  Anyone who says anything that doesn't quite conform to group mentaility is branded

negative, and told that they are not real supporters. 

I think somewhere along the line, there has to be a change of attitude.

Edited by beefybake

On 23/03/2020 at 16:55, beefybake said:

The last public utterance that I saw on Stranraer's financial position, came from someone senior at the club... to the effect that the money

from the Rangers game would keep the club going for the next 4 years.  Perhaps I picked it up wrong, but that's how I recall it.

No that’s what I heard but obviously not correct as the chairman has stated that the majority of the money paid off the bank !! 
im not criticising anyone but the fact is the club DO NOT seem to want the supporters to know what’s happening with the club and with the clubs past record of poor financial dealings they should be transparent. As for being a member that’s a joke , £10 to be a member just make a mockery of being a member .i continually hear the club slating the people and businesses of Stranraer for not supporting the club , yet they seem to be completely oblivious to the reasons why ......

On 23/03/2020 at 17:09, beefybake said:

Interesting one. 

I decided against membership long ago, because ......

a. I live a long way away.

b. I consider that important decisions remain with those who live in the community/can regularly attend matches.

As I recall, 2008, when the last time the club ran into financial difficulties... the then chairman blurted out on some BBC radio broadcast...

"We're £250,000 in debt, we'll be bust in 6 months....". Everyone rallied around to help, from other clubs also.,

The next time round, season and a half ago, when players had to be let go, and the struggle to stay in League 1 began, the club closed in on itself,

and the basic attitude was, and remains, "If you're not a member, you're not entitled to know anything.."  In addition, the Facebook page of supporters

had been set up, and , as I predicted, it was, and is,  a cheerleading group.  Anyone who says anything that doesn't quite conform to group mentaility is branded

negative, and told that they are not real supporters. 

I think somewhere along the line, there has to be a change of attitude.

Spot on , we were told the last time that the wage bill would only be as high as the gate money , if that was true we would not have to pay off the bank now .... as I’ve said before the club have a poor financial record and should be open and transparent to ALL , as you say the Facebook clique don’t fool anyone , when I stand at Stair Park everyone around me has the same issues with the way the club is run .... all cloak and dagger stuff 

No that’s what I heard but obviously not correct as the chairman has stated that the majority of the money paid off the bank !! 
im not criticising anyone but the fact is the club DO NOT seem to want the supporters to know what’s happening with the club and with the clubs past record of poor financial dealings they should be transparent. As for being a member that’s a joke , £10 to be a member just make a mockery of being a member .i continually hear the club slating the people and businesses of Stranraer for not supporting the club , yet they seem to be completely oblivious to the reasons why ......

I’ve never once heard an official of the club slating people or businesses. Would be extremely stupid to do so. We depend on them.