Clubs going bust due to cv19

4 hours ago, sjc said:

Why bother? Clubs can't die. We have precedent for this. Full history and achievements can be bought or transferred to the new holding company.

Save your money folks.

That's right, remember it's the company running it that dies, not the club itself. 

22 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Obviously some won't be able to give money, others will. But those who can't give money might be able to help out in other ways. I think collectively fan bases will pull their clubs through this. 

Absolutely …….apart from Rangers fans who sat back and let their club die the last time (copyright every smug Celtic fan, but still worth re-stating). 

If ever the word "loyal" was no longer applicable.  

Rumours of Annan being in serious financial trouble just shows the problem with all these new clubs coming in via the pyramid system (I know they were elected). Clubs like 'Shire, Berwick & possibly Brechin drop into oblivion with Cowden & Montrose surviving via a play off. Teams with a history & a connection with their community,have suffered through a few bad  seasons, a fate that could befall any part-time club. Meadowbank had to move because they compete with Hearts/Hibs fan base, I can't see why Edin City will be different, Gretna was boom and bust, I can't see where Kelty or EK, or others will be any different. These clubs spend big to get in, but is the rewards on offer really worth it? If so why aren't East Fife, Forfar & Dumbarton etc throwing cash about? Do we do due diligence on these clubs? Seem to remember Brora not being 100% committed to promotion despite winning the Highland league, have Elgin really gained in 20years in the bottom tier? 

Maybe others see it a natural selection, a replacing of dead wood, Ann Budgerigar would have us all out anyway, even although the part time teams tend to live within thier means. 

1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Rumours of Annan being in serious financial trouble just shows the problem with all these new clubs coming in via the pyramid system (I know they were elected). Clubs like 'Shire, Berwick & possibly Brechin drop into oblivion with Cowden & Montrose surviving via a play off. Teams with a history & a connection with their community,have suffered through a few bad  seasons, a fate that could befall any part-time club. Meadowbank had to move because they compete with Hearts/Hibs fan base, I can't see why Edin City will be different, Gretna was boom and bust, I can't see where Kelty or EK, or others will be any different. These clubs spend big to get in, but is the rewards on offer really worth it? If so why aren't East Fife, Forfar & Dumbarton etc throwing cash about? Do we do due diligence on these clubs? Seem to remember Brora not being 100% committed to promotion despite winning the Highland league, have Elgin really gained in 20years in the bottom tier? 

Maybe others see it a natural selection, a replacing of dead wood, Ann Budgerigar would have us all out anyway, even although the part time teams tend to live within their means. 

I'm struggling with your point here, you start off by suggesting that letting new teams into the league is the problem because they end up spending money they don't have to climb the leagues, or they don't have the fan base to sustain this level, then finish your post by saying that largely part time sides are the ones who live within their means. What sort of due diligence do you mean? Clubs need to meet league requirements to join, if they meet those I'm not sure what else we can ask them to prove.

Maybe others see it a natural selection, a replacing of dead wood, Ann Budgerigar would have us all out anyway, even although the part time teams tend to live within thier means. 
The majority of clubs outwith the SPFL have been around just as long as the likes of Berwick or Cowdenbeath.

ICT, Ross County and Livingston were all new clubs as well which have went on to reach the top flight and win the Scottish or league cup.

A club must be licensed to be able to play in the Lowland or Highland league and be eligible for promotion.

This will be worrying times for club officials and subsequently their supporters. The SPFL should be helping clubs. No question in my opinion.

Asking fans to step up is OK on a certain level but they too will be suffering as the world goes into economic shutdown. For my own part, my work will undoubtedly be closed by Friday given the demographic of our staff. Getting £94 a week, if it actually hits bank accounts, is not going to cut it for me.

Very few Scottish clubs will have funds to cover for income being hit. As well as matches being off many have extra activities as a venue and that will now be a route that's cut off.

There's no quick fix. Or any fix!

Guess I like the anomalies in Scottish football, the fact Berwick are based in England, but played in Scotland, Queens Park being amateur & playing at Hampden & Brechin with thier hedge. These things give the game character & a romanticism. I'm not sure cold, soulless mechano stadia & new clubs, at our level is necessarily progress. Yes the landscape has changed, ICT & Ross Co have done exceptionally, previously big clubs like Clyde & Airdrie have went the opposite way. 

How long before a Pie & Bovril is replaced by a Hamburger & a Cappuccino for £10. Progress? 

17 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Guess I like the anomalies in Scottish football, the fact Berwick are based in England, but played in Scotland, Queens Park being amateur & playing at Hampden & Brechin with thier hedge. These things give the game character & a romanticism. I'm not sure cold, soulless mechano stadia & new clubs, at our level is necessarily progress. Yes the landscape has changed, ICT & Ross Co have done exceptionally, previously big clubs like Clyde & Airdrie have went the opposite way. 

How long before a Pie & Bovril is replaced by a Hamburger & a Cappuccino for £10. Progress? 

Right, we can file this firmly in the "Yer da doesnae like change" drawer.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

The majority of clubs outwith the SPFL have been around just as long as the likes of Berwick or Cowdenbeath.

ICT, Ross County and Livingston were all new clubs as well which have went on to reach the top flight and win the Scottish or league cup.

A club must be licensed to be able to play in the Lowland or Highland league and be eligible for promotion.

Ross County have been around since 1929.

And ICT were formed from clubs who had 218 years of combined history between them.

ETA: I think you mean "new to the league" as opposed to "new" - I'm a bit slow this morning.

Edited by Jacksgranda

20 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I think we should do what we normally do in times of disaster & impoverishment and have a big massive benefit concert at a packed Hampden.

Get it done ASAP.

Oh the irony....

On 17/03/2020 at 00:06, Mattmc said:

Stranraer players and officials have started an Onlyfans page with all proceeds going to the club. 

That’s fine but before people donate they want to know what our financial position is , a huge number of locals including business people don’t trust the club .... and with the club not telling fans their position this does not help .

How much did we get from the rangers game ??????

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

All clubs getting a payment today from Spfl.

Also elgin announce with no crowds they will last to middle of May...

Yeah and noticed this on the statement

“The money will be awarded based on licensing levels, and not necessarily split equally among the 42 clubs.”

Now, I,ve not a scooby what the means or how that relates to us lower league clubs

Edited by Rovers_Lad