Clubs going bust due to cv19

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The PM can legislate to ban professional sport in England. He doesn’t have the power to ward championships in Scotland.

Boris Johnson is not awarding anything. He is stopping mass gathering. He doesnt give a rats arse who wins what.

The pettiness is all on here and other football web sites.

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Where did you pull this shite from? 

The Premier League, and some of the  Championship, is pretty easy. The top level profits/losses are pretty well known and the identified teams are on the razors edge of profitability, are consistent loss makers, or have other financial concerns. In League One I identified the teams generally accepted to be the weakest (although East Fife have no debt, but have a sufficiently low attendance that starting to take loans might doom them to a deadly cycle). Raith have debt issues, but probably enough community support to stagger through, while Falkirk have the community support, if they had management the community might feel like saving. The one saving grace for Falkirk might be that this results in a community based buyout. League Two, you can figure that yourself.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I fear for DFC at the moment. Contracts due to be paid until the end of May, but with no income and only a handful of home games already this year - two of which have been midweek.

Unless there is some help given to a lot of smaller clubs like us then then an extended break or the season being ended looks like it could have very bleak consequences.

The only silver lining I can find, is that fortunately we have just the one player contracted for next season. I'm just waiting for the club to announce what financial help they require from the fans and how that is to be co-ordinated. I've already budgeted for what I would spend on the eight remaining league games, so as far as I'm concerned they can have every penny of that right now. 

It wouldn't do the players, the sfa or spfl any good if clubs go bust, as such I'd expect everyone to chip in and sort something out.

If they cancel the season now, perhaps the players union and leagues could agree settlement / compensation.

Ultimately, the leagues need clubs and the players need employers and as long as the clubs aren't greedy I think there'll be a compromise.

When do clubs get the prize money based on league position, is it right at the end of the season or do they have to wait longer? Cant the spfl just pay each club in each division the amount that the bottom club should get straight away, then pay the rest if/when the season is completed?

46 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The Premier League, and some of the  Championship, is pretty easy. The top level profits/losses are pretty well known and the identified teams are on the razors edge of profitability, are consistent loss makers, or have other financial concerns. In League One I identified the teams generally accepted to be the weakest (although East Fife have no debt, but have a sufficiently low attendance that starting to take loans might doom them to a deadly cycle). Raith have debt issues, but probably enough community support to stagger through, while Falkirk have the community support, if they had management the community might feel like saving. The one saving grace for Falkirk might be that this results in a community based buyout. League Two, you can figure that yourself.

Surely clubs whose match day revenue make up the highest percentage of costs will be most at risk?

I'm not sure anyone can make any accurate estimates of what that figure is for most clubs.

Surely clubs whose match day revenue make up the highest percentage of costs will be most at risk?
I'm not sure anyone can make any accurate estimates of what that figure is for most clubs.
Accurate estimate that the average MDR equates to 43% of each clubs budget.

3 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:
18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Accurate estimate that the average MDR equates to 43% of each clubs budget.

Aye, but there's no way to know which clubs are above 43% and which clubs are below. I suspect it'll be the clubs significantly above 43% that'll be in the most bother.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye, but there's no way to know which clubs are above 43% and which clubs are below. I suspect it'll be the clubs significantly above 43% that'll be in the most bother.

Absolutely, but such figures aren’t published. As I noted, for Premier and Championship teams, most files reports, and the ones I highlighted have persistent loses or consistent breakeven or small losses. Falkirk is the exception, as their recent tremendous loss is an outlier, and their financial situation is better (overall), however their financial commitments are likely well above income so far.

1 hour ago, Forest_Fifer said:

When do clubs get the prize money based on league position, is it right at the end of the season or do they have to wait longer? Cant the spfl just pay each club in each division the amount that the bottom club should get straight away, then pay the rest if/when the season is completed?

I'm sure prize money is paid in separate tranches (3, I think) over the course of the year. I could be wrong but I think its May, September and February.  

We’re not starting this in a position of debt, although, like most clubs, we will go into debt as a result.
Fans were willing to cough up up to 800k for additional shares in the club, but our crazy board knocked that back on the word of a charlatan.
If it came down to survival, I, and many others, would be willing to contribute...

They actually knocked it back because they are petty, bitter, small minded c***s.

I think the first reaction of everyone is to try and apply normality to an utterly abnormal situation. Taking my own club Dumbarton as an example, what is our biggest weekly outlay ? I'd hazard it was players' wages followed by those of officials.

As a part-time club almost every one of the above individuals will have an income from outside the game, in contrast to teams like Hibs, Hearts, Dundee It's, etc., With that in mind, and although it is hardly ideal, I think we'd be justified in asking the staff to consider accepting reduced wages for the duration of this crisis.

And no, if I was one of these guys I would hardly be delighted, but neither would I be delighted to be a contributor to any club's demise. It could run into problems with individuals' attendances at training, for example, and I'm not suggesting it's ideal.

What I am though suggesting is that no idea is a bad one and every fan and every Director should be considering ideas inside AND outside the box - and in this potentially existential crisis that also applies to players and their agents.

Agree there is a difference between full time players who as the term implies are professional footballers as their main/only job and are dependant on clubs for their livelihood. Part time players tend to have other jobs out with football so possibly could be asked to accept a retainer reduced wages during this exceptional period to help reduce costs to part time clubs which you would expect  to be working to tighter budgets.