Leagues finishing or not ?

Thesoccerguy

Let’s be honest players that don’t making training/games for bbq or mud aren’t worth bothering about. I’ve never really felt that strongly either way until recently where we had 4 games in a row that were completely ruined by the weather ie Gale force wind, rain and Hail. We played Wishaw in QF of the Scottish and the goalies had more touches than the centre midfielders. So I’d definitely be up for change once we come out of this serious situation.

13 hours ago, Hands_Free said:

Interested to hear if teams are still training or not at the moment?

Our secretary has just had an email saying all training is also stopped now a directive from the SFA apparently

As a player I would much rather be coming home from work in the light nights to train or play a match. With more guys turning away from playing football I think we could try get the opinion of players by some means before dismissing or changing the season

Agreed, but the problem is a significant number of your team will be on holiday and wont be able to train or play. Anyone who says the holidays wouldnt decimate squads is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Having run my team for the last 10 years the amount who actually go away in the so called summer is very low. It’s well spread out now with boys going away all year round.

We run 2 teams and pre season for a good few weeks we can usually put 1 team out made up of the 2 teams due to summer holidays. It would have a huge impact on us.

We run 2 teams and pre season for a good few weeks we can usually put 1 team out made up of the 2 teams due to summer holidays. It would have a huge impact on us.

Think it might be a bit different this year. There wont be many away on summer holidays the way things are just now.

12 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

You might be right about not many being away during the time of pre season friendlies.

I think the bigger worry is that players will  be taking their holidays later this year.

Some teams may struggle to put out a full squad

Think it might be a bit different this year. There wont be many away on summer holidays the way things are just now.

Agreed, but longer term for me summer football sounds great and loads of advantages but without players just not feasible imho.

1 hour ago, EKYM G said:

Agreed, but longer term for me summer football sounds great and loads of advantages but without players just not feasible imho.

Players wont be an issue if there was a switch to summer football , if anything ur going to get more interest imo.

Theres going to be more games getting played, 2 a week would be possible, uv got boys that work Saturdays/shifts and cant play so it gives more options/flexibility to players if they can play through the week. 

U would have enough cover over the holiday periods. Amateur football has changed massively over the years, its not the be all and end all for players now, some can take it or leave it on a sat. Sure if u ask most team managers they will tell u they have boys missing most weeks for various reasons so i think to rule the idea of summer football out because boys have holidays is a bit naive.

Players wont be an issue if there was a switch to summer football , if anything ur going to get more interest imo.
Theres going to be more games getting played, 2 a week would be possible, uv got boys that work Saturdays/shifts and cant play so it gives more options/flexibility to players if they can play through the week. 
U would have enough cover over the holiday periods. Amateur football has changed massively over the years, its not the be all and end all for players now, some can take it or leave it on a sat. Sure if u ask most team managers they will tell u they have boys missing most weeks for various reasons so i think to rule the idea of summer football out because boys have holidays is a bit naive.

Not naive?? Based on facts from every pre season for years. We run 2 teams with squads of minimum 20 in each. I can guarantee you we couldn't put out 2 teams a week on a Saturday during the summer never mind 2 games a week. Players would be an issue for us. Based on summer pre season experience. Maybe other teams/clubs are different but I can only talk about my Club.

Not naive?? Based on facts from every pre season for years. We run 2 teams with squads of minimum 20 in each. I can guarantee you we couldn't put out 2 teams a week on a Saturday during the summer never mind 2 games a week. Players would be an issue for us. Based on summer pre season experience. Maybe other teams/clubs are different but I can only talk about my Club.

It maybe wouldn’t be as much of an issue if players knew it was summer football and took there holidays at other times to suit. I get what you are saying but summer football, in this country especialy, has many more plus points than negatives imo.

As long as Grassroots football falls under SFA umbrella I cant see summer football ever happening. The SFA are never going to move their season to run different from the rest of the main European leagues. They would have issues with champions league and Europa League. In return the SAFA SJFA etc would also have problems when their teams earn the right to play in the senior Scottish Cup.

As long as Grassroots football falls under SFA umbrella I cant see summer football ever happening. The SFA are never going to move their season to run different from the rest of the main European leagues. They would have issues with champions league and Europa League. In return the SAFA SJFA etc would also have problems when their teams earn the right to play in the senior Scottish Cup.

Summer football happens now, under the SFA and SAFA umbrella and there are even specific rules for it already in the SAFA Constitution.

If there’s a demand for a summer league then there’s no reason why a new league couldn’t start.

Yes a NEW league.

Maybe I picked the forum up wrong but in pretty sure we rte talking about moving many associations and thousands of teams from the regular season to a summer season.

The whole of scotland 35s all play through the summer so there isnt an issue with different leagues and cups being ran out with that.

Summer football happens now, under the SFA and SAFA umbrella and there are even specific rules for it already in the SAFA Constitution.

If there’s a demand for a summer league then there’s no reason why a new league couldn’t start.

It doesn’t require a huge sea of change. Everything under the Highland Amateur FA is summer football. They are under the SAFA umbrella and don’t have any special dispensation. Not that they have a choice because there’s hardly any astro parks to use up there and the weather dictates. You work with what you’ve got. It’s just something to consider. 

And Chris, I’m not 48. And I’m very happy I chose not to play Saturdays any more. I couldn’t keep up with the rest of your team any more!

Everyone would need to change. Or change league by league and not participate in the national cups. Unless our team are expected to be on hand to play in the 4 month off season in the national cups

It doesn’t require a huge sea of change. Everything under the Highland Amateur FA is summer football. They are under the SAFA umbrella and don’t have any special dispensation. Not that they have a choice because there’s hardly any astro parks to use up there and the weather dictates. You work with what you’ve got. It’s just something to consider. 

And Chris, I’m not 48. And I’m very happy I chose not to play Saturdays any more. I couldn’t keep up with the rest of your team any more!

But by that token you’re suggesting teams from Sweden, Finland, Norway, Ireland etc shouldn’t get to play in the Europa League or Champions League as they wouldn’t be prepared. They find a way. I’m not daft here, I realise that’s a different level, money, professionalism and commitment etc, but the northern teams have the opportunity to play in the Scottish Cup if they want, I managed one game with Dounreay Workshops away to Rothie Rovers back in 99 (400 mile round trip was the big issue really). But if the whole setup changed to summer then the nationals would run that way too. 
I’m just saying it’s possible, that’s all. We don’t know when the leagues and cups will restart, they may start again in August and take until October to finish. Do we just leave everything after that and restart again in July?

This is all conjecture, we’re at the mercy of an outside force and no end in sight for at least twelve weeks

Yes a NEW league.

Maybe I picked the forum up wrong but in pretty sure we rte talking about moving many associations and thousands of teams from the regular season to a summer season.

The whole of scotland 35s all play through the summer so there isnt an issue with different leagues and cups being ran out with that.

Why do we have to move every league to summer season? Why not have some winter season and some summer season, whatever the demand dictates?

If there’s such a demand for a summer league I’m sure someone will start one.