Leagues finishing or not ?

Thesoccerguy

I dont get this clamour for summer football. The league would need to start around feb. How many games has all your teams played since then on these grass parks. It's the same every year. Our feb march is the worst time of the year weather wise

Could easily run the season from April to sept/Oct. With the light nights two games a week would mean more than enough available dates for a season to be completed.

1 hour ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

I dont get this clamour for summer football. The league would need to start around feb. How many games has all your teams played since then on these grass parks. It's the same every year. Our feb march is the worst time of the year weather wise

I agree with ye mate, like I say, I hate the idea, mainly cos with my coupon and my size, playing in the sun damn near knocks me out with the heat (I don’t play Saturdays any more thankfully) but with the climate heading the way it is, this might be the time to do it. As has been said, the price of Astro is killing clubs, so grass in summer with midweek options is maybe the way forward. I’ll never agree with it, but we may have no choice. Works up north. 

If its anything like east ayrshire the grass parks will be closed from june till August. The over 35s is played from april to Sept and the councils dont open the parks for them in the summer. It's an idea that has merit to be discussed but there was countless games called off in august at the start of the season and the motorways around ayrshire closed due to flash flooding. Maybe it's just because in a traditionalist when it comes to the game but would I rather watch a game on a mud bath or an dear astro with a full team most weeks or a nice summer's night with half the teams in magaluf on holiday . No brainer for me

So the pitches are overhauled in October to March when there is no growth??

6 minutes ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

Would they not make less money in the winter months?

They would still be making money as there would still be teams using them even over the summer. 

There usually a bit cheaper to use in the summer months so win win for everyone.

7 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

If its anything like east ayrshire the grass parks will be closed from june till August. The over 35s is played from april to Sept and the councils dont open the parks for them in the summer. It's an idea that has merit to be discussed but there was countless games called off in august at the start of the season and the motorways around ayrshire closed due to flash flooding. Maybe it's just because in a traditionalist when it comes to the game but would I rather watch a game on a mud bath or an dear astro with a full team most weeks or a nice summer's night with half the teams in magaluf on holiday . No brainer for me

How much work do the Councils actually do on the parks in these months, bet its not alot?

Councils dont spend money on pitches now unless it is absolutely necessary!!

How many games have u watched in the last year that have been on a mud bath? Players nowadays dont want to play games on mud baths!! 

Ur last point about players being away on holiday is nonsense aswell as boys nowadays can be away on stags/holidays/wkds away at any point in the season, I dont know many players that plan there holidays around the season now. 

I appreciate u are a traditionalist and to a point so am I but there comes a point where u have to be realistic. Summer football for the Amateurs would improve all aspects of the game.

How much work do the Councils actually do on the parks in these months, bet its not alot?

How many games have u watched in the last year that have been on a mud bath? Players nowadays dont want to play games on mud baths!! 

Ur last point about players being away on holiday is nonsense aswell as boys nowadays can be away on stags/holidays/wkds away at any point in the season, I dont know many players that plan there holidays around the season now. 

I appreciate u are a traditionalist and to a point so am I but there comes a point where u have to be realistic. Summer football for the Amateurs would improve all aspects of the game.

Pre season is always murder to get numbers for games and to say people holiday just as much outwith the summer is nonsense. The vast majority of players holiday in the summer. Yes, stags and weekends away in the winter etc are more common now than years ago but still far less than summer holidays.

4 minutes ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

Pre season is always murder to get numbers for games and to say people holiday just as much outwith the summer is nonsense. The vast majority of players holiday in the summer. Yes, stags and weekends away in the winter etc are more common now than years ago but still far less than summer holidays.

No everyone is away on hoilday at the sane time though.

I get the fact that most people go away in the summer months. Look at it from another angle though most teams carry a squad of 20+ now due to various reasons, in the summer u could play weds/sat so plenty football to go round but in winter when games r limited due to the weather boys get fed up and if there not guaranteed a game they leave, some chuck it alltogether!

Boys out training in all conditions through week only for games to be off on a saturday. How many boys give up a shift on a sat only for game to be off and then they eventually get pissed off aswell!!

It'll never hapen , I mean why would we even consider changing when the ammie game is thriving the now!!

I never said anyone plans their holidays around the season. Usually around their work holidays and school holidays.

I appreciate that players go on holidays and stags all year round but it's an absolute fact more people go on holiday in summer months. Although I appreciate Thats not just the off season tho. It's also why alot of teams have weaker teams at the very end and very start of the season.

A agree councils dont spend the money to do work on parks but even then they still refuse to open them When my local teams ( 35s) ask them to. I'm sure with mass pressure this
could be looked at tho.

I have to say In all my years playing and now watching Amateur football iv never known a player to not turn up or not play because the parks not good. Summer football would only help with the cost. Iv no argument for that [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Some great points about squad sizes etc to be fair and yeah would definitely keep more people Intrested in a big squad. The Amateur game is struggling i dont disagree but I'm not sure summer football would cause a sudden upsurge. Iv heard of more players not turning up to training or games due to summer night bbqs than I have because its muddy.

No everyone is away on hoilday at the sane time though.
I get the fact that most people go away in the summer months. Look at it from another angle though most teams carry a squad of 20+ now due to various reasons, in the summer u could play weds/sat so plenty football to go round but in winter when games r limited due to the weather boys get fed up and if there not guaranteed a game they leave, some chuck it alltogether!
Boys out training in all conditions through week only for games to be off on a saturday. How many boys give up a shift on a sat only for game to be off and then they eventually get pissed off aswell!!
It'll never hapen , I mean why would we even consider changing when the ammie game is thriving the now!!

2 minutes ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

Some great points about squad sizes etc to be fair and yeah would definitely keep more people Intrested in a big squad. The Amateur game is struggling i dont disagree but I'm not sure summer football would cause a sudden upsurge. Iv heard of more players not turning up to training or games due to summer night bbqs than I have because its muddy.

I think could debate this allnight mate, for me its simple, boys just want to play football and the spring/summer/autumn months give them a better chance to do that more frequently.

The months of Dec/Jan/feb are brutal weather wise and cant see that improving anytime soon. Just think it benefits the wider ranges to look at summer football.