Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Put everything on hold and call the league season 2019/21.

Next season, play the current cups to a finish early on, giving time to start the new ones along traditional lines.  The League Cup would need to unfold a bit later.

For the league, we just pick up where we left off, but there's only about a game a month.  Fans will be missing their fix so much that gates will benefit.  Far more will travel to away games, if home games are only staged every 8 weeks or so.

European club football doesn't happen, other than to conclude this season's competitions.

Big clubs can organise those wanky lucrative friendly competitions if they like.  A winter break can be inserted if desired.  

I've still got no idea how players at our level would earn a living though.  It would need some sanity regarding the distribution of the game's wealth to be introduced, and that would fly directly in the face of everything that's been allowed to happen over the last three decades.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Put everything on hold and call the league season 2019/21.

Next season, play the current cups to a finish early on, giving time to start the new ones along traditional lines.  The League Cup would need to unfold a bit later.

For the league, we just pick up where we left off, but there's only about a game a month.  Fans will be missing their fix so much that gates will benefit.  Far more will travel to away games, if home games are only staged every 8 weeks or so.

European club football doesn't happen, other than to conclude this season's competitions.

Big clubs can organise those wanky lucrative friendly competitions if they like.  A winter break can be inserted if desired.  

I've still got no idea how players at our level would earn a living though.  It would need some sanity regarding the distribution of the game's wealth to be introduced, and that would fly directly in the face of everything that's been allowed to happen over the last three decades.

So, your solution is to follow up the sudden halting of matchday income which is going to put severe financial pressure on almost every club - with a season with one league game a month?  Interesting...

Cushingsigh.gif

1 minute ago, VictorOnopko said:

So, your solution is to follow up the sudden halting of matchday income which is going to put severe financial pressure on almost every club - with a season with one league game a month?  Interesting...

Cushingsigh.gif

Nope.

It's my solution to managing the competitions.

If you read what I actually said, I concede that the issue of paying players would remain a major problem - that's primarily what income is for at this level.

I also make woolly references to distribution of resources needing to change, while recognising how unlikely that is in the current footballing climate.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can imagine it all you like, however in the real world that's against the law. They have contracts and are entitled to be paid in accordance with them.

Clubs have had years to form contracts in their favour, there is absolutely no doubt to me that the majority of clubs will have covered and prepared themselves contractually for events such as war or major disasters and events beyond their control., these are known as 'Force Majeure' as you probably know. 

Force Majeure, as legally defined, is a contract provision that allows a party to suspend or terminate its obligations when circumstances arise beyond it's control.

I would be surprised if the majority of clubs did not have Force Majeure as a footnote in all of their contracts, be that playing staff, suppliers or contractors.

Even your season ticket has T & C's. 

In the short term clubs would be foolish to lose players and staff, but in the long term if this pandemic continues then people would probably be let go in an effort to save the club. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

Clubs have had years to form contracts in their favour, there is absolutely no doubt to me that the majority of clubs will have covered and prepared themselves contractually for events such as war or major disasters and events beyond their control., these are known as 'Force Majeure' as you probably know. 
Force Majeure, as legally defined, is a contract provision that allows a party to suspend or terminate its obligations when circumstances arise beyond it's control.
I would be surprised if the majority of clubs did not have Force Majeure as a footnote in all of their contracts, be that playing staff, suppliers or contractors.
In the short term clubs would be foolish to lose players and staff, but in the long term if this pandemic continues then people would probably be let go in an effort to save the club. 

As seen in Construction contracts.

Just now, The-coo-shed said:

You might see it get to the point where clubs ask for a donation on the day their game was supposed to take place. Even if it was just a tenner. Something to cover their projected costs.

I’d want to see the starting line up Neilson would have played had the game been on before donating anything.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

As seen in Construction contracts.

Unfortunately 'Force Majeure' is used in many contracts in all walks of life.

The last FM Clause activated/used in sport was in the last Rugby World Cup when the Scotland v Japan game was cancelled due to the threat of Typhoon Hagibus, when both nations complained they were directed to the FM Clause in their signed contracts.

We all hope that our clubs will survive this disaster.

Edited by SandyCromarty

20 minutes ago, The-coo-shed said:

You might see it get to the point where clubs ask for a donation on the day their game was supposed to take place. Even if it was just a tenner. Something to cover their projected costs.

I think I'd be prepared to pay more to not watch Queens than watch them.

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Clubs should have business interruption and catastrophe insurance to cover the lost revenue. 

Are you sure that players' contracts will have "force majeure" clauses that enables the club(s) to cut or suspend their basic wages?

Appearance money and other bonuses will not be paid during the current suspension. But I would expect the basic wages to be paid and covered by the club's insurance policies.

First of all I hope all pie and bovril contributors keep healthy during these very unsettling times.   Without doubt the right decision has been made - people’s lives are more important than football clubs.

of course the lost revenue is a concern for any football club and just hope we don’t lose any clubs during these times.

in the meantime guys look after yourselves and hope you and your families and friends stay in good health 

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Prepare to be surprised. SPFL clubs generally use a standard contract issued by the SPFL and drafted by Harper Macleod. I see no evidence in it of any "Force Majeure" clause.

Best medical advice dose not see us getting through this until Sept 2020 .

As there are no completion rules in place for dealing with this senario so there can be no option other than playing outstanding games.

We sould be playing outstanding league games once virus passes.

Condense 20/21 league with two games per week and no winter break or cups.

44 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Clubs should have business interruption and catastrophe insurance to cover the lost revenue. 

Are you sure that players' contracts will have "force majeure" clauses that enables the club(s) to cut or suspend their basic wages?

Appearance money and other bonuses will not be paid during the current suspension. But I would expect the basic wages to be paid and covered by the club's insurance policies.

I highly doubt clubs are insured to cover this scenario.  

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Prepare to be surprised. SPFL clubs generally use a standard contract issued by the SPFL and drafted by Harper Macleod. I see no evidence in it of any "Force Majeure" clause.

Does such a 'standard contract', offer any protection at all to clubs in meeting contractual obligations to employees, in circumstances such as these?

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I highly doubt clubs are insured to cover this scenario.  

I would expect all clubs in the SPFL to have such cover in place. If they haven't, the board and management have been negligent.

The main issue is the length of period covered and if there is a limit on the amount the club can claim.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What you will see is 'Swiss Law' which is used in sports contracts and will use similar language to Force Majeure. Though as I mentioned in an earlier post the Rugby Authorities used Force Majeure in the last Rugby World Cup when they cancelled the Scotland v Japan game.

I am more than hoping that this epidemic is short lived and over by the summer, all I am pointing out that if it goes way past that then harsher methods to reduce costs may be used by clubs, after all saving our clubs is a priority.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of Boards in football are populated by businessmen. 

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Again, all Insurance companies will have Force Majeure clauses built in on any policy and this epidemic is just such an event. They would be out of business if they didn't.

The main saviour if it goes long term would have to be the government