Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

All well and good. However we're discussing decision-making in Scottish football here. I'll be stunned if it isn't a complete fucking shambles. 

Surely theyd be absolutely fucked legally since it's all one league system now? 

If it had still been SPL/SFL they could've weaseled someway around it, but not now.

15 hours ago, HMIP said:

Aberdeen chief executive was on radio Scotland at the weekend and he was saying that in America (where he seems to be based) the working assumption is that sport won’t be back until the end of the year.  You could actually hear Willie Miller’s blood run cold!  Pie in the sky to think we’ll be playing football again in June.  

Much of the US sport has in fact continued !! 

It varies from state to state but it's certainly not a national shutdown.

The US are also about 3 to 4 weeks behind Europe and due to their incompetence / indifference to the virus threat they're going to suffer very badly indeed.

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Your boss is having a laugh

You'd be surprised. They've already gone through the process of doing it for employees FWIW.

You genuinely believe a Conservative government is paying out millions of pounds to businesses and not expecting it back at some point? Genuinely?

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

I'm still astonished that this has never been seen as a possibility before. Not just coronavirus, but if a league needed cut short or mass postponement due to anything else.

World wars for example. You think someone would have came up with something then to deal with these situations.

Suppose there is a lot more at stake now, but as a starting point or if an unpopular decision has to be made they can blame the rule book.

What difference would it really make?

Its a members organisation, the clubs make the rules. Theres no scenario where every club would be happy, none.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This cant happen, at all.

All the leagues are voting at the same time I'm sure, so if they vote it in, both go. If they dont, neither do.

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Christ man.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can only go based on what my boss has told me, but the furlough scheme isnt money for nothing.

Once this is over the government is expecting you to pay the money back.

Your boss is wrong, theres no repayment required.

4 minutes ago, srw said:

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Christ man.

Just going by the SPFL statement.

If the league fixtures cannot be played in the top flight theyll use points per game, if this is voted in.

Worth mentioning Rangers have just ripped up the Ibrox pitch, and the new TV deal starts in August. 

3 minutes ago, srw said:

Your boss is wrong, theres no repayment required.

There will be, one way or another.

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't get your logic here.

I honestly think that had a proposal been made last July, that said once more than half the games have been completed, placings on a points per game basis would stand if the season was for some reason halted, then I'd genuinely think every club would have signed up to it.

I'm not pretending that that's the same thing as asking them to sign up to it in the following April, but I don't think this proposal fails your test about whether or not it would have been acceptable before any balls got kicked.

I think it’s clear that at least three teams in the Championship would have rejected it. They would have wanted a guarantee that in no circumstances a team would be relegated based on an incomplete and unequally complete season.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Just going by the SPFL statement.

If the league fixtures cannot be played in the top flight theyll use points per game, if this is voted in.

They can settle the Premiership in whatever way they want to, thats not the issue.

They have added a pathetic get out clause to avoid relegating Hearts, after the vote, regardless of the possibility of the league being finished, they will talk about league reconstruction, which would mean a top league of 14 next season, Id bet my right fucking testicle that Hearts will not be relegated, and ICT will be promoted.

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

If clubs are needing an early payout (although I still can't see why), give them the amount now, they would get in their mathematically lowest possible finishing position.

Just look at how many teams have set up fundraising schemes. Hearts have asked everyone to take huge wage cuts.

Many clubs need income ASAP.

Edited by DA Baracus

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There will be, one way or another.

Thats like Donald Trump saying Mexico is paying for the wall because he has imposed tariffs on Mexican things.

Mexico isn't paying for the wall, stupid Yankee twats are.

There is no direct repayment of the Government Scheme, ergo, your boss is full of it.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I think it’s clear that at least three teams in the Championship would have rejected it. They would have wanted a guarantee that in no circumstances a team would be relegated based on an incomplete and unequally complete season.

How would you end it?

It's been made clear that null and void isnt an option. Sponsors/TV companies and UEFA have taken that off the table, at least in the top flight.

1 minute ago, srw said:

They can settle the Premiership in whatever way they want to, thats not the issue.

They have added a pathetic get out clause to avoid relegating Hearts, after the vote, regardless of the possibility of the league being finished, they will talk about league reconstruction, which would mean a top league of 14 next season, Id bet my right fucking testicle that Hearts will not be relegated, and ICT will be promoted.

I'm not convinced top flight sides vote for reconstruction. Would it not require an 11-1 vote to pass that one?

How many clubs vote against reducing their share of the new prize money?

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can only go based on what my boss has told me, but the furlough scheme isnt money for nothing.

Once this is over the government is expecting you to pay the money back.

This is categorically not part of the existing terms and conditions of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

How would you end it?

It's been made clear that null and void isnt an option. Sponsors/TV companies and UEFA have taken that off the table, at least in the top flight.

With the current proposal *but* with a concrete proposal on one-season-only league reconstruction rather than a vague promise to look at it only if you vote for the unfair thing now.

You can quite literally just say the sponsorship and TV money distribution would be based for 13th and 14th on what those in 1st and 2nd in the second tier would have got and leave it otherwise the same. Clubs wouldn’t lose out next year.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not convinced top flight sides vote for reconstruction. Would it not require an 11-1 vote to pass that one?

How many clubs vote against reducing their share of the new prize money?

It would be for one season only, its a bribe to enable the likes of ICT and Hearts to vote for the deal. It wouldn't be touted if it wasn't a serious possibility, or more likely probability.

If this motion passes tomorrow, this will most likely go through.

Just now, Ad Lib said:

With the current proposal *but* with a concrete proposal on one-season-only league reconstruction rather than a vague promise to look at it only if you vote for the unfair thing now.

You can quite literally just say the sponsorship and TV money distribution would be based for 13th and 14th on what those in 1st and 2nd in the second tier would have got and leave it otherwise the same. Clubs wouldn’t lose out next year.

So how would the divisions be structured?

Just now, srw said:

It would be for one season only, its a bribe to enable the likes of ICT and Hearts to vote for the deal. It wouldn't be touted if it wasn't a serious possibility, or more likely probability.

If this motion passes tomorrow, this will most likely go through.

I'm not convinced, to me it feels like it's just tacked on to cover themselves if someone tries to battle the decision legally.

If they promote 2 sides, based on average points per game, do you think Dundee, who would be 3rd, will just accept ICT get promoted and they dont?

If they promote 4 sides, how do they sort out League Two?