Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Here's how I see it right now:

Dundee United, Alloa and QoS - obvious beneficiaries, so >99% yes.

Morton, likely Arbroath, Dunfermline as well - really doesn't affect them much, so >90% yes

Ayr, Inverness - won't go up but there's no practical chance of playoffs happening anyway (plus Inverness are skint), so >80% yes

Dundee - permaraging about their city rivals but also with no practical playoff hopes, Partick - raging about being shite and getting relegated, 0% yes

It doesn't look good for your campaign at all.

Dundee will vote against it not because of United but because no decision on the top league is to be made - given that there were moves to promote ICT along with United - thus saving Hearts arse - then it is understandable why they are reticent to support this.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

They'll need to get all the Chairmen in one big conference call and thrash it out.

Just presenting a proposal and asking clubs to vote for it won't pass IMO.

Theyve had multiple discussions with the clubs and this is what theyve decided to present though?

Theres been at least two meetings between all the chairmen, the SPFL havent just plucked this proposal out their arse.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Theyve had multiple discussions with the clubs and this is what theyve decided to present though?

Theres been at least two meetings between all the chairmen, the SPFL havent just plucked this proposal out their arse.

That'd be a first for them.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Dundee will vote against it not because of United but because no decision on the top league is to be made - given that there were moves to promote ICT along with United - this saving Hearts arse then it is understandable why they are reticent to support this.

It's been made clear, in their statement, that if the remaining top flight games arent completed by a set date, then it will also be decided by points per game.

Someone will be getting relegated if this passes, even if the top flight finishes later.

It's been made clear, in their statement, that if the remaining top flight games arent completed by a set date, then it will also be decided by points per game.
Someone will be getting relegated if this passes, even if the top flight finishes later.

Not in the proposal to be voted on though.

I would trust the Premiership clubs as far as I could throw them.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but I can't see a single proposal that has it pass.

Void the season and youd have all the teams winning titles/qualifying for Europe voting against it. Youd probably have Hibs voting against it to GIRU Hearts too.

That’s part of the issue. I can see a few votes being made in the coming weeks with none getting the required %.   We’ll then see if come the middle of may the pressure of not knowing if players can get released will force anything through.

That’s part of the issue. I can see a few votes being made in the coming weeks with none getting the required %.   We’ll then see if come the middle of may the pressure of not knowing if players can get released will force anything through.
This could be like Westminster Brexit votes - continually voting on proposals but never getting the required majority.

So let me get this straight. Stewart Robertson of Sevco is part of the Spfl board that drafted these plans to finish the lower leagues early however will be voting against it happening in the Premiership??

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

That'd be a first for them.

Quite.

I'm fairly confident the Premiership and League Two will both vote this in.

I think you need 4 to oppose it in the top flight, then 3 in each tier, and I cant find enough clubs who'd drag this out rather than just take the money, and start planning for next season. Especially with Brechin getting saved from relegation with it.

Not in the proposal to be voted on though.

I would trust the Premiership clubs as far as I could throw them.

It is? The same statement explicitly says the top flight will be decided the same way if the remaining games cant be played. As I say, I guess there will be a deadline for European Competitions and the top flight will decide based on that. Only Hearts and Rangers would vote against it, and youd need 4 clubs to see it fail in the top flight.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think this one will pass, even if just one league opposes it. If the other 3 vote for it then itll be done.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

This could be like Westminster Brexit votes - continually voting on proposals but never getting the required majority.

That was my first thought. 

4 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

So let me get this straight. Stewart Robertson of Sevco is part of the Spfl board that drafted these plans to finish the lower leagues early however will be voting against it happening in the Premiership??

Of course they are just championing fairness, having tried to sneak into each of the top 2 divisions when they went bust. 

I wouldn't even give them a vote.

Edited by GiGi

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think this one will pass, even if just one league opposes it. If the other 3 vote for it then itll be done.

Shifting the goalposts like that would leave open all sorts of legal challenges and probably one's worth pursuing.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Shifting the goalposts like that would leave open all sorts of legal challenges and probably one's worth pursuing.

What goalposts? The SPFL havent made it clear what type of vote is required, simply a journalist who says the majority of lower league sides are in favour.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Don’t think there can be legal challenges.