Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Just now, craigkillie said:

UEFA have extended this season until at least the end of July, possibly later.

Just guessing they'll give leagues a deadline to register their qualifiers for the 20/21 competition, even if its August/September I'm still not sure this league season could be completed.

I think that you're massively overstating the importance of playoffs in the calculation of most teams here. Finishing 4th and going through three full rounds of playoffs to reach the top flight is of little tangible value compared to mitigating the potentially huge financial losses of this crisis. It's already been reported that Morton are in favour of this proposal and rightly so in terms of the club's best interests: there is little to be gained for us by trying to play out eight games some time in the future, the majority of which will likely be meaningless dead rubbers anyway. Like ourselves I suspect the vast majority of clubs will prefer to write the rest of this campaign off due to the unprecedented circumstances, call the leagues as they are and free up the summer for the 20/21 season to take place as normal, or as normally as it can be. It also allows them to draw a line under their likely losses and plan for the future on a sound basis.

I did say "may have grounds" - it will be up to each club to weigh up what's best for them.

Of the names I mentioned I suspect that Thistle, Dundee and Falkirk would be the most likely to vote against.

Is the vote 75% of clubs in the 4 leagues or 75% of those that vote?

Looking at League 1, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose and East Fife are within 8 points of Raith, so you'd doubt they would vote for it.

The whole things a mess, I cant see this passing.

Edited by srw

9 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Dunfermline is my wild card pick for a 3rd 'no'.

Nah can't see it. 

It would cost the club more to have to finish the games. We'd have to extend contracts or sign players on some sort of mad rolling basis, which would be more expensive than using the furlough scheme (not sure if the club are using thay yet though).

Add in the costs of hosting and travelling to games then it's just not worth it. Plus I don't think we'd be good enough if we did reach the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Meant to be flying out to Costa Rica on 29 June (flying to London on 26 June) - can't see it happening but I still had to pay up in full on Monday.

I'll get my money back if it doesn't go ahead - including all my costs on UK as I included the UK part of my holiday on thd insurance - will contact suppliers first then the insurer if they dont play ball.

Certainly will not be taking up Tui's offer of an alternative holiday or a similar holiday later in the year.

Yes, you're quite right. I'm currently waiting on a refund from Ryanair from 2 weeks back and have a holiday booked with jet2 at the end if April. Initially they were happy to give me a refund but are now trying to get me to "rearrange" for later in the year. Like you I'll be demanding my money back or it'll be a charge back getting actioned !

Just now, srw said:

Looking at League 1, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose and East Fife are within 8 points of Raith, so you'd doubt they would vote for it.

The whole things a mes, I cant see this passing.

The financial cost of getting the games to go ahead (extending contracts, having to pay players in full with almost no revenue coming in, trying to sign players, costs of hosting and travelling to games etc) will mean that most will surely vote for the proposal. The gamble could potentially kill off some clubs. It isn't worth it.

With the significant cut down in traffic during the lockdown the sound of bird song has been far more noticeable.
I can see that idyllic sound being drowned out by the greetin’ of the Funsters.
Its fantastic viewing. Tears and snotters incoming

Inverness would be the most likely option for a third team to vote against assuming Dundee are the second, as they're heavy favourites for second but I suspect they might be too rooked and will just take the money / less hassle 

Edited by Fuctifano

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Because not enough teams will vote for it. Partick Thistle have already said they won't accept it, doubt Dundee will deither. Just leaves 1 club to say no and the whole plan is gubbed.

I'm not sure, tbh. Been trying to work out who will/wont vote for it.

Obvious no votes are Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and probably Edinburgh City. You then have teams like Rangers and Dundee who cant vote to give rivals titles.

No top flight sides would vote no.

No idea how teams in their respective promotion play offs would vote tbh.

What happens if the majority of Premiership and League Two vote for it, but Championship/League One dont? Does it just become a total number of votes v total number of votes?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Obvious no votes are Hearts, Partick, Falkirk and probably Edinburgh City. You then have teams like Rangers and Dundee who cant vote to give rivals titles.

What happens if the majority of Premiership and League Two vote for it, but Championship/League One dont? Does it just become a total number of votes v total number of votes?

I had assumed that each division had to pass.

Because not enough teams will vote for it. Partick Thistle have already said they won't accept it, doubt Dundee will deither. Just leaves 1 club to say no and the whole plan is gubbed.

Here's how I see it right now:

Dundee United, Alloa and QoS - obvious beneficiaries, so >99% yes.

Morton, likely Arbroath, Dunfermline as well - really doesn't affect them much, so >90% yes

Ayr, Inverness - won't go up but there's no practical chance of playoffs happening anyway (plus Inverness are skint), so >80% yes

Dundee - permaraging about their city rivals but also with no practical playoff hopes, <50% yes

Partick - raging about being shite and getting relegated, 0% yes

It doesn't look good for your campaign at all.

I think every league has to vote for it. So if 3 championship clubs say no, it doesn’t matter what the other leagues vote for.

SPFL boards own Stewart Robertson rejecting it as well on behalf of Rangers.

Really???? Rangers opposing it???!!!

Hands up if anyone else is astounded...

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Here's how I see it right now:

Dundee United, Alloa and QoS - obvious beneficiaries, so >99% yes.

Morton, likely Arbroath, Dunfermline as well - really doesn't affect them much, so >90% yes

Ayr, Inverness - won't go up but there's no practical chance of playoffs happening anyway (plus Inverness are skint), so >80% yes

Dundee - permaraging about their city rivals but also with no practical playoff hopes, <50% yes

Partick - raging about being shite and getting relegated, 0% yes

It doesn't look good for your campaign at all.

We'll see.

Yes, you're quite right. I'm currently waiting on a refund from Ryanair from 2 weeks back and have a holiday booked with jet2 at the end if April. Initially they were happy to give me a refund but are now trying to get me to "rearrange" for later in the year. Like you I'll be demanding my money back or it'll be a charge back getting actioned !

I paid through PayPal with my BA credit card as well so protected through ATOL, Credit Card, PayPal and insurance - not had much luck with holidays having had one cancelled last year when Thomas Cook went tits up.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I had assumed that each division had to pass.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think every league has to vote for it. So if 3 championship clubs say no, it doesn’t matter what the other leagues vote for.

Aye, but I can't see a single proposal that has it pass.

Void the season and youd have all the teams winning titles/qualifying for Europe voting against it. Youd probably have Hibs voting against it to GIRU Hearts too.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but I can't see a single proposal that has it pass.

Void the season and youd have all the teams winning titles/qualifying for Europe voting against it.

They'll need to get all the Chairmen in one big conference call and thrash it out.

Just presenting a proposal and asking clubs to vote for it won't pass IMO.