Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

I've been looking back over some of the responses to my earlier post about the best way forward is to delay the start of next season and have a shorter season if necessary. The main issues appear to be about player contracts etc. After a lot of thinking (ie "working from home"), I've got this to add:

Sport is different from a lot of other fields of employment. Of course, footballers are subject to employment law and all the rights, responsibilities and protections that ensures. However, sport also exists with what, for the purposes of this post (and also because I can't be arsed looking to see if there is a proper term), I'll call "sporting laws"

For example, sporting law means that you can't decide to play for another team in the middle of a season and get a transfer and then decide after a few weeks that you aren't happy there and get a transfer to a third team in the same season. Of course, in the "real world" you can decide to work for McDonalds one week, leave and start and Burger King the next week and then leave and go to KFC the week after. So, in that vein, FIFA/UEFA could issue a sporting law that the current season will last until whatever date is practical to play out the season when the lockdown ends.

To keep things simple, I'll suppose that date is 30th September (obviously, any date can be substituted in here). Therefore, all current contracts that are due to end this season (whether that be a set date or not in any individual contract) will be open to be extended until 30th September. The transfer window will remain closed until 1st October.

Any player that doesn't wish to extend his contract doesn't have to do so, but, with the window closed, players would have no other teams to play for. If a club doesn't want to extend the contract, the player would become a free agent and be able to sign for another club as per the current set-up if you are without a club at the end of a transfer window. Therefore, any player would, at the worst, be on his current contract for a few months extra, with no loss of money. If his club is unable, or unwilling, to keep him on, he would be able to sign for anyone else, just as he would have been at the end of a regular season. Players would be covered under employment law, as they would either be in the same position as just now, or able to sign a new contract with another team, or barred under sporting law from playing for another team just because they didn't want to stay where they are, as under the current system with transfer windows and the 2 c;ubs per season rule.

Please pick the holes in this as you normally would...

Edited by Spikethedee

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's also the slim chance that you could hold televised top flight matches behind closed doors in June and July. You can't do that with the lower leagues - clubs at this level are much better off having the government pay furloughed wages and calling the season than playing games (and so paying wages again) without any gate receipts.

Do you think VT most players are going to need a pre season you say a slim chance in June/July I think best case for football returning is late August

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Says who?

The clubs.  Haven’t seen anyone pushing for null and void.  The clubs overwhelmingly wanted to finish the season, but that just doesn’t seem feasible.  There is no option available that will keep everyone happy.

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

If your going to finish 1 league you would be as well finishing them all as we would have to wait for the spfl to finish to start next season anyway.

League 1 is the SPFL. What do you think SPFL stands for?

Anyway, Dundee fans desperately clutching at straws here. Absolutely no one believes that would still feel the same way if Dundee United weren't top. It's an odd too as United were obviously going to win it before this situation anyway, so what difference does it make?

Guest DAVIDB69

I get it’s a money thing to bring the season to a close however there are still too many holes in the idea .

So what would happen to league cup in July if say spl is still going and they will still eventually needs the seasons between the leagues in sync again at some point for cup competitions to work again .

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Queen of the South are looking to miraculously squeak it for the second consecutive season.

At least last season we did come through the play-offs comfortably in the end.  I'm convinced that this time, we wouldn't have been troubled or delayed by play-offs.  We were absolutely determined to claim that bottom spot before being cruelly foiled in the nick of time.

A better parallel might be provided by the events of 2000, when Hamilton's strike cost them 15 points and kept us out of the bottom division.

To think the useless Johnston was bemoaning an apparent absence of a 'rub of the green' the other week too.

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Unless your club is in a relegation position then you're going to vote this through. 

Clubs will be desperate for the end of season payments too. 

No brainer to vote for it

The money doesn't magically vanish if it isn't voted for. As much as people like throwing shit at the board, the clubs are the members with the power, as was evidenced during the Rangers debacle.

11 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I get it’s a money thing to bring the season to a close however there are still too many holes in the idea .

So what would happen to league cup in July if say spl is still going and they will still eventually needs the seasons between the leagues in sync again at some point for cup competitions to work again .

The SPL hasn't been in existence for many years now.

Pedantry aside, I of course known what you mean. Think the League Cup will need to delayed or punted, but the sponsors wouldn't be happy with that (if they're sticking around; not sure when that deal is up).

Edited by DA Baracus

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Do you think VT most players are going to need a pre season you say a slim chance in June/July I think best case for football returning is late August

They wouldn't be getting a pre season - they'd have about 14 days of training time and then can get up to match fitness by playing competitive games. If your timeline is correct then it won't be happening regardless, but it would be stupid to simply write off the prospect altogether now instead of keeping their options open (and also staying aligned to UEFA's stance).

20 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

So hearts won’t be getting relegated if the top league doesn’t finish and we will have a top 13 next season

If you've actually read the SPFL statement you'll see that the same proposal makes a commitment to trying to play on the Premiership season, but if it can't be played then the same rules will apply to it too.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

They wouldn't be getting a pre season - they'd have about 14 days of training time and then can get up to match fitness by playing competitive games. If your timeline is correct then it won't be happening regardless, but it would be stupid to simply write off the prospect altogether now instead of keeping their options open (and also staying aligned to UEFA's stance).

I think it gives clarity to the teams that don't have finical reserves to tap into and I would be fairly happy to the Premiership to try and finish the season if it's what UEFA dictate as they could scrap their winter break. 

23 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

So hearts won’t be getting relegated if the top league doesn’t finish and we will have a top 13 next season

Eh? Are you suggesting a 9 team Championship as well?

Can't see it.

So what happens if we all accept it then the top flight doesn't?

Nonsensical to be allowing the top flight to wait and see whilst we vote now. We'd all be better off waiting for the top flight and doing it together.

On 18/03/2020 at 21:12, jagsfan57 said:

I have already said that we probably will be relegated irrespective of the decision by the SPFL. However, I see that the EFL have decided to complete the season and plenty of pundits think the English premiership should be completed too.

The season has to be completed or it's just not fair on anyone. 

Personally I can see us returning by June / July and then it's just a case of playing 2 matches per week until season is finished. From what I believe Uefa are looking at extending players contracts to cover the season rather than set dates and at our level the Govt scheme should cover the majority of players wages in the meantime.

It's not ideal, but there's no solution that is.

The money doesn't magically vanish if it isn't voted for. As much as people like throwing shit at the board, the clubs are the members with the power, as was evidenced during the Rangers debacle.
It's not just clubs in relegation places who might vote against but also those in playoff places or just outside promotion or play-off places.

If you look at the Championship it would be reasonable to assume that the only certainties to vote for this are United, Inverness (hoping there is a 14 team expansion), Queen of the South and Alloa.

Can't see Thistle voting for it - and Dundee. Ayr, Dunfermline, Morton and Arbroath all have a vested interest in the playoffs so may have grounds to either vote against or abstain.

You could probably do something similar with League 1 - I doubt Falkirk would be happy.

I suppose there will be a lot of arm-bending before the Friday voting deadline.

I hope we vote against this. I'd have been disappointed but accepting of this if we all done it together. But this shambles is like the old days of SFL and SPL.

We'll do it then be shafted by the top flight in order to protect Hearts. Shambles.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The season has to be completed or it's just not fair on anyone. 

Personally I can see us returning by June / July and then it's just a case of playing 2 matches per week until season is finished. From what I believe Uefa are looking at extending players contracts to cover the season rather than set dates and at our level the Govt scheme should cover the majority of players wages in the meantime.

It's not ideal, but there's no solution that is.

There is no evidence at all to say playing football will be possible by June.