Jump to content
Granny Danger

Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

Fair enough, player contracts are usually up at a set date, however, special circumstances are in operation here and most players will be delighted to have the chance to continue playing once football comes back. Not sure many will want to be furloughed for a second longer than necessary. A suspension of the transfer window until each team has finished their season will give clubs and players the chance to extend their contracts if needed and re-draw ones for other players with deals until next year if needed. Not an ideal solution, but much better than going down the other routes mentioned above.

And what are you doing about clubs who cant afford to carry on employing those players beyond the end of their current contract?

People who blithely claim we just finish it whenever have no idea how contracts, employment law, budgeting etc actually work. Could it be done? Yes, there are ways, but it will take a lot of negotiation to make it work and its likely the players union, which has bizarrely been advising their members against accepting furlough, would take legal action to prevent the right to move in the summer being closed.

In practice its not really practical and thats before we discuss the fact it would be much more costly in terms of the new tv deal to curtail the next playing season in Scotland than the current one. 

EDIT - but if FIFA are suggesting otherwise its gojng to be interesting to see how they do it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

On a kind of related note, as loan players furloughed by their parent club or the club they are on loan at??

Players can only be furloughed by their employer, so not the borrowing club then as they dont employ them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, charger29 said:


 

 


I suspect things like that may come down to the individual players loan conditions. Don't most teams have the ability to recall a player from a loan whenever they want and then they can just do what they want?

 

No it doesnt. The player is never employed by the borrowing club at any point. The lending club will decide. They are the employer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And what are you doing about clubs who cant afford to carry on employing those players beyond the end of their current contract?

People who blithely claim we just finish it whenever have no idea how contracts, employment law, budgeting etc actually work. Could it be done? Yes, there are ways, but it will take a lot of negotiation to make it work and its likely the players union, which has bizarrely been advising their members against accepting furlough, would take legal action to prevent the right to move in the summer being closed.

In practice its not really practical and thats before we discuss the fact it would be much more costly in terms of the new tv deal to curtail the next playing season in Scotland than the current one. 

Firstly, why wouldn't clubs be able to afford to employ players after their contracts should have ended? Clubs always have players on their books (except in extreme circumstances) and most would be eligible to get the additional loans/grants beyond the furlough scheme if they thought they would encounter difficulties. (Indeed, even if they thought they could afford to pay staff, they could always get the money, put in an account and pay it back later and get at least a little interest.)

 

Secondly, my main point is/was that it may have some problems, mostly around contracts as you say, but they are, IMHO, lesser problems then the total shitshow that would ensue from legal challenges etc from the other scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With no football will the clubs with loan players be required to pay the parent club the loan fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And what are you doing about clubs who cant afford to carry on employing those players beyond the end of their current contract?

People who blithely claim we just finish it whenever have no idea how contracts, employment law, budgeting etc actually work. Could it be done? Yes, there are ways, but it will take a lot of negotiation to make it work and its likely the players union, which has bizarrely been advising their members against accepting furlough, would take legal action to prevent the right to move in the summer being closed.

In practice its not really practical and thats before we discuss the fact it would be much more costly in terms of the new tv deal to curtail the next playing season in Scotland than the current one. 

EDIT - but if FIFA are suggesting otherwise its gojng to be interesting to see how they do it.

The TV deal is only for 48 games going forward, so I dare say those could be fulfilled even in a shorter season - albeit potentially with one (or two) fewer Old Firm match depending on how the season ends up being structured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The TV deal is only for 48 games going forward, so I dare say those could be fulfilled even in a shorter season - albeit potentially with one (or two) fewer Old Firm match depending on how the season ends up being structured.

Were any details announced as to how the new deal worked?

The main thing being the 4 home game rule and ended up with every team outside the old firm being shown at home to the old firm and Celtic and Rangers home games not being moved except for home games , yet every almost every away game being shown live.

im sure a Rangers home game against Aberdeen would get better viewing figures than say Saints v Rangers or Ross County v Rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And what are you doing about clubs who cant afford to carry on employing those players beyond the end of their current contract?

I'm almost certainly missing something, but if players are furloughed without a 20% top-up (i.e. the club pays nothing), then why wouldn't clubs be able to afford the players once the revenue starts coming in again?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Master said:

I'm almost certainly missing something, but if players are furloughed without a 20% top-up (i.e. the club pays nothing), then why wouldn't clubs be able to afford the players once the revenue starts coming in again?

Because their situation has changed in the last 12 months and they can no longer afford the playing budget they had 12 months ago, either because of falling crowds, impending likely relegation, change of ownership, a less successful cup season, reduced commercial income due to significant reductions in sponsorship as vast numbers of them closed and didnt re-open, or they just used existing reserves to speculate 12 months ago and no longer have those.

There could be any number of reasons why a business which has traded poorly in the last 12 months, facing an uncertain future with no clarity about future levels of central league funding, feels unable to continue paying the previous levels of wages.

You cant force an employer to re-hire staff they dont want to employ any longer.

Edited to add also that there is no certainty all players will agree to being furloughed which further complicates things.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure @Skyline Drifter is raising some valid points but his attitude towards all this from day 1 gives me the impression he’s incredibly keen for the season to be ended to save Queen of the South from being relegated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m sure @Skyline Drifter is raising some valid points but his attitude towards all this from day 1 gives me the impression he’s incredibly keen for the season to be ended to save Queen of the South from being relegated.

I'm not sure you have actually read any of my posts properly at all.

This doesnt surprise me one bit though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did seem that way when you were claiming it would be fairer to judge the seasons based on the table at Chrismas than now. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Because their situation has changed in the last 12 months and they can no longer afford the playing budget they had 12 months ago, either because of falling crowds, impending likely relegation, change of ownership, a less successful cup season, reduced commercial income due to significant reductions in sponsorship as vast numbers of them closed and didnt re-open, or they just used existing reserves to speculate 12 months ago and no longer have those.

But surely all those things would have applied without the pandemic other than the sponsorship*, but you don’t see players being routinely offloaded in normal seasons.

I don’t think anyone is expecting clubs to re-sign players for a full or half season, but just to keep them on to complete the games they were due to play in anyway.

 

*Although I believe Dundee require payment in full at the start of the season for pitchside boards etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure you have actually read any of my posts properly at all.

This doesnt surprise me one bit though.

Ha, clearly I’m not the only one who thinks so.

I’d have more sympathy for the points you were making if you managed to make them without the condescending Poundland VT act you’ve developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any chance a mod can fire this thick, tedious c**t directly into the fucking sun?
Cheers. 
That's an insult to thick, tedious c***s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did seem that way when you were claiming it would be fairer to judge the seasons based on the table at Chrismas than now. 
 
 
That's what Italian handball have done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No it doesnt. The player is never employed by the borrowing club at any point. The lending club will decide. They are the employer.


How does a loan deal work. Does the borrowing club pay the owning club and it pays the player ?



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

How does a loan deal work. Does the borrowing club pay the owning club and it pays the player ?

 

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Did seem that way when you were claiming it would be fairer to judge the seasons based on the table at Chrismas than now. 

I said at the time that it was unfortunate the most obvious beneficiary of that (in this division) was my own club as some people would be unable to see beyond that.

It doesnt change the principle that the only entirely 'equal' point in any season is the halfway point. Even the 3/4 point is corrupted by the home / away imbalance plus there are games from before the 3/4 point still unplayed I think. There are no games from the halfway point unplayed apart from I think a Rangers v St Johnstone one the the Premiership.

Its not something I felt massively strongly about though. If the season is called off I accept they wont use the halfway point for anything. They will either void it or declare it as is.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do feel with Fifa , UEFA announcement recent days seasons will be finished whenever it’s safe to do so.

So think the SFA , SPFL need to drop the delusion of calling time on this season.

I get why they wanted to do it as clubs are cash strapped , needing to get money from tv deals , season tickets in the future etc.

However there will be no 20/21 season until this season is finished whenever that may be.

That could be catastrophic for many Scottish clubs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...