Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

7 minutes ago, calcutta said:
1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:
I’m not as raging as everyone else about the decision - it’s clear a lot more would be getting shut if money was there etc - but I really don’t understand the 500 person limit.
Has to be a percentage of the stadium capacity or otherwise you’re just picking a number out of a hat. Dunfermline could quite easily have a couple of thousand fans socially distanced around EEP if necessary.
Would agree probably better decision to just suspend it for a few weeks and if situation hasn’t improved then you just restart with the crowd limits in place.

If I understand Jason Leach correctly SG are more worried about the travel to/from the ground and associated pub going etc rather than the density of punters in the ground. How that generated a 500 person limit rather than any other low-ish number, is not clear to me though.

Has it not occurred to the Poundland Professor that people might just pack out the pubs and sit there all day watching football?

How much of a strain on the public transport system was 1500 punters attending the Rovers - Queens game next Wednesday going to cause?

I genuinely think the idea of a return to empty/reduced stadiums, and watching over streams is more depressing to me than stopping things completely for a bit, which I can at least convince myself is only for a short while. 

(Selfishly it would perhaps also give Morton time to offload some oddities to the Juniors before they’re allowed to kick a ball for us again)

4 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Has it not occurred to the Poundland Professor that people might just pack out the pubs and sit there all day watching football?

Think the obvious argument there is if pubs are following correct guidance then they can’t be packed out. Table service and physical distancing would have a clear impact on numbers allowed.

Of course, I’m sure not every establishment will follow the guidelines to the letter and there’s also the very likely occurrence of people packing each other’s homes instead.

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I genuinely think the idea of a return to empty/reduced stadiums, and watching over streams is more depressing to me than stopping things completely for a bit, which I can at least convince myself is only for a short while.

I started watching the streams last season but soon gave up. If there are no fans there then a Pars game doesn’t matter to me tbh.

How many teams have been running supporters buses. I know raith had only ran them for a few games so far this season. So that means that most fans have been travelling to away games in cars with either single occupants or members of their own household. (Obviously there will have been a few that pick up friends) Realistically, how much strain is that putting on the nhs? I’m guessing the stats for crashes on the way to games would be quite low. It will probably be a low percentage of them that go to the pubs.

I started watching the streams last season but soon gave up. If there are no fans there then a Pars game doesn’t matter to me tbh.

The raith and Scotland games were the only ones that mattered to me with no crowds. I even gave up watching match of the day and the efl highlights, because it just wasn’t the same without the crowds.

Accies only have the 1 supporters bus left which was the majority of our support up at Inverness on Saturday.

It hasn't run for all away games due to various factors - mostly us being shite - but they were running a bus to Arbroath for the Wed 29th game which is obv now out the window.

It's not much more a danger for 40-50 odd fans to share a bus to a game - if it's well ventilated on the journey to/from etc - than it is for shedloads of folk to be inside enclosed shopping centres like Silverburn / Braehead et all for the sales on Boxing Day.

As the guy above said I've zero interest in watching a live stream of an Accies game if I can't be physically there at the game myself so the sooner these reimposed restrictions are binned the better.

Postponing the 5 fixtures affected in the 3 week period from Boxing Day to 16th Jan might not be an option across the board.

Accies & QOTS have the cup weekend on the 22nd free as we're both out & possibly the free Sat in Feb for the next round of the cup to slot another league game in but that's only 2/5

Big decisions for the SPFL board over next day or so as to if they gamble on being back up & running with crowds from Scottish Cup weekend on 22nd Jan.

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

What's to stop clubs, who have bars/hospitality suites that overlook their grounds, letting as many punters as they fancy into the bar to 'watch the game' on top of the 500 allowed into the stand? 

What if you had 500 in the stands and said bar at the ground was showing the stream. 

When the announcement was made yesterday I was of the view that we should continue to play while permitted to do so. 

My concern about shutting down would be if there were further Covid interruptions to the season or a prolonged period of bad weather and subsequent postponements. Then you have the potential of a serious fixture backlog. 

Since the announcement though I've been increasingly coming round to the notion that we should shut down for the next three week period but perhaps with the proviso that the season can be extended for a corresponding period. It's obviously much easier for the Premiership to shut down as they can simply move their winter break. 

Shutting down now would create a cash shortfall situation for clubs but at least with the potential for getting that income at a later date, albeit perhaps a reduced amount with crowds likely to be smaller than they would be over the festive period. 

And of course, and most importantly, closing down now would hopefully allow people to watch the games when we restart. As we found out last season, football in largely empty stadiums is shite. 

Re the 500 figure it does seem something of an arbitrary figure.  On the face of it a percentage of capacity would seem more sensible. For example roughly 10% of the Firhill capacity would be 1,000 and that's a figure I can't imagine would be too difficult to accommodate in a socially distanced Firhill. We did so in the early stages of the current season in any case did we not? 

A flat percentage rate across all stadiums is a little more problematic though. 10% at Parkhead is nearer 6,000 than it is a 1,000 and I suspect the permitted figure is less to do with what figure can be accommodated safely inside a football stadium to watch 90 minutes of football and more with overall social interactions, inside and outside grounds, that comes with it. Not sure I entirely follow the public health logic in non-essential shops remaining open though while football turnstiles remain locked. 

In summary, it's just an utterly shite position to be back in. My days of singing and dancing at the football are way, way back in the past but there was a real joy in looking across again at football fans enjoying the best spectator sport there is. To have that taken away from us having had it back for the last few months seems so unbelievably cruel after what we've all collectively suffered since March 2020.  

The season can't practically be extended without scrapping the play-offs, which is obviously a terrible idea. The backlog might be just about manageable, but you'd be talking about postponing 4 games. If a Championship club does well in the cup that could become very tight.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The fact that it's against the law to watch live football directly from a bar inside a Scottish football ground?

I have been in a box at Hampden to watch a game where by definition said box has a bar.

30 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

A flat percentage rate across all stadiums is a little more problematic though. 10% at Parkhead is nearer 6,000 than it is a 1,000 and I suspect the permitted figure is less to do with what figure can be accommodated safely inside a football stadium to watch 90 minutes of football and more with overall social interactions, inside and outside grounds, that comes with it. Not sure I entirely follow the public health logic in non-essential shops remaining open though while football turnstiles remain locked.

But but but according to Mr Leitch football (& other sports) fans can't be trusted, whether it's on public transport to get to the game (not mandatory), whilst at the game (outside & socially distanced) or on public transport afterwards (again not mandatory)

Time and again, we are treated with utter contempt by these buffoons who are stumbling around in the dark trying to out-do each other in the lets make it up as we go along absolute fuckwit stakes. I'm utterly fucking sick of them all.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The season can't practically be extended without scrapping the play-offs, which is obviously a terrible idea. The backlog might be just about manageable, but you'd be talking about postponing 4 games. If a Championship club does well in the cup that could become very tight.

There's nothing to stop the play-offs being moved back by as many weeks as necessary/desirable.